Do you tip your instructor?

Hacker Charlie

Reaction score
Handicap
D&D
I was thinking about taking some lessons, seems I can get three, one-hour lessons around here for $100 or alittle over depending on the place. So I googled how much to tip a golf instructor, and the overwhelming answer seemed to be- NONE. I was sort of suprised by this. Some people said the instructors may even be slightly insulted?

So is this really the way it works or what?

I was thinking about taking some lessons, seems I can get three, one-hour lessons around here for $100 or alittle over depending on the place. So I googled how much to tip a golf instructor, and the overwhelming answer seemed to be- NONE. I was sort of suprised by this. Some people said the instructors may even be slightly insulted?

So is this really the way it works or what?

Depends where you are and who the lessons are with, but GG and I always tip the instructor over and above the set amount. Most pros rely on lesson as their main source of income. At some courses like Hammock Beach, tipping at any level is not allowed

Is the no tipping policy visibly posted, or is it something you find out when you try and tip somebody?

What would you say about an instructor at a driving range? There are two ranges near me that are $40 an hour lesson or $100 for three sessions. Or what about at a Golf Galaxy? I don't know their rates though.

Part of my problem is that I have no clue on where to go for a lesson. I might take one here, one there, etc, to find somebody I like.

Is the no tipping policy visibly posted, or is it something you find out when you try and tip somebody?

What would you say about an instructor at a driving range? There are two ranges near me that are $40 an hour lesson or $100 for three sessions. Or what about at a Golf Galaxy? I don't know their rates though.

Part of my problem is that I have no clue on where to go for a lesson. I might take one here, one there, etc, to find somebody I like.

I get lessons from a women at a semi-private course near us and I always tip her. I always worry about tipping too and I am not sure what the proper amount is but I try to be very generous with the tipping if I really like the instructor.

I bought my daughter's instructor a $100 restaurant gift certificate last Winter for Christmas. He had given her about six lessons at that time. He was astounded and said no one had ever done anything like that for him before. I also slip him an extra $10 if he runs past the hour by 15 minutes or so as he is wont to do. At $40 per hour I feel like I'm getting a great deal. Of course I've known him for 35 years.

Kevin

I never tip my pro and I've been getting lessons from him since 2008. I buy sets of lessons from him, so normally I'll do 8 - 12 per year.

Now when his daughter got sick and ended up in the hospital I gave him a stuffed cat from Build a Bear to give to her. She's quite attached to it I've heard. I know it's not the same but he and his wife both seemed to appreciate it.

I actually need to work on something else. I broke 100 thanks to his help, maybe a restaurant gift certificate, so him and the wife can go out or something. Thanks for giving me that idea Essox.

So, I was just talking to my mother-in-law who taught tennis for many years and she said she never got tipped. It wasn't expected and people didn't do it. Maybe something for the holidays but that's it. I am a little in shock because I have always tipped and tipped generously. I thought it was customary to do that I had no idea.

I have had the same PGA Teaching Pro for at least 35 years and he is our course owner as well, so our famlies have become close over the years. I have forever bought 99% of my golf equipment from him as well, so we have evolved to the point where he does not charge us for lessons or help of any kind. I often just give him a gift card for somewhere nice to eat.
I think it is very important to have a relationship with your teacher. Mine knows my swing better than I do. He also has worked with me so long that he knows what breaks down in my swing so it takes him just a matter of minutes and a few shots to get me back on track.

Do you tip everyone else you are paying to perform a service for you? Car mechanic, plumber when he comes over, etc? In most cases a golf instructor is a 1099 employee at a course, range, etc. if they aren't smart enough to set their rates at a decent level to live off of, they shouldn't be in business. Now if they go above and beyond what you paid them for, then compensating them for that is approriate. Some times my lessons will go over the alloted 60 minutes by 15-30 min, I make sure to compensate him for this. I think the tipping thing has gotten out of hand in a lot of areas. i.e. Starbucks with their tip cups, etc.

I don't plan on tipping my instructor, I'm renewing my lessons with him and by the time I become habitually wonderful at this game :smile: I'd have paid him over $1000, so I think that's good enough :)

6-7 years ago I took several lessons over the course of two years with a local guy who is very well known and respected. I never gave it one bit of thought to tip him. I wrote him a check for his fee and that was it. I'm not being stingy or anything, I would have never thought that it was a tipable job.

No tipping for the me either. I figured 50.00/per 30-45 minutes was very fair

I always tip these type of service people. auto repair, a/c repair, plumber, etc. I also tip the mailman, garbage man and the lawn guy at Christmas time. never had lessons yet so dont know there, would probably not tip every lesson but would give something around the holidays and when lessons were ending. as far as Starbucks dont drink it and if I did I wouldnt tip them unless it meant I got something extra from them over time, like extra cream, carmel etc every time I got a coffee from that person.

Do you tip everyone else you are paying to perform a service for you? Car mechanic, plumber when he comes over, etc? In most cases a golf instructor is a 1099 employee at a course, range, etc. if they aren't smart enough to set their rates at a decent level to live off of, they shouldn't be in business. Now if they go above and beyond what you paid them for, then compensating them for that is approriate. Some times my lessons will go over the alloted 60 minutes by 15-30 min, I make sure to compensate him for this. I think the tipping thing has gotten out of hand in a lot of areas. i.e. Starbucks with their tip cups, etc.

YEah, I don't tip either. Originally, he told me he'd give me four lessons for the price of five. Pretty good deal, I thought...until he charged me for the fifth one. Anyway, I like him. He's worth it. I guess I ought to tip him. Never really thought about it. now I feel like a cheap man.

I also don't tip my golf pro. At $120/hour, he's doing fine. If anything, I'll treat him for lunch or beer - which is good for the relationship IMO.

I myself am a instructor, but tips arn't expected. Most ppl are spending $50/hr as it is, its great when they do, but I dont rely on them...lol

cant say i have ever tipped my instructor.

like has been said above, they get good rates per hour and do something that most of us would love to so i reckon they are doing just fine :)

Back