cocopoppyhead

Reaction score
Handicap
In light of Graemes recent success at the US Open, i thought it wise to create a thread for him.
He has been in sensational form of late. Always has been a really good player, but seemingly playing below the level most of us knew he could play to.

Just 3-4 weeks ago, Graeme made a comment that would show he is fed up bing a relatively good player, thus showing his desire to transform his career and be the player he should and can be. You will see the extract i copied in here from the Belfast Telegraph (may 27th)..
I've also created this thread in light of his last 3 weeks of golf, so you can see the US Open was the icing on the cake of what has been a terrific few weeks.

Graeme-McDowell-Europe-2008-Ryder-Cup-Team_1202824.jpg

Graeme McDowell is determined to make a mockery of his world ranking and prove he has the talent to become one of the game's elite players.

The Portrush star reached a career high of 28th in the world nearly two years ago, but has since slipped into the stressful twilight zone between 40th and 60th.

He was in danger of being edged out of the world's top 50 this week but was relieved to move up one place to 49th, earning automatic starts in the US Open and The Open that are vital to his chances of winning a second Ryder Cup cap in October.

Now he is determined to push on in his search of some “big weeks” and is hoping he can put his foot to the floor in this week's €1.5m Madrid Masters, which is being played next door to the old Spanish Formula One Grand Prix circuit at the short and tricky Real Sociedad Hípica Club de Campo.

Chasing a top prize of €250,000, McDowell said: “I've been on the bubble of the top 50 for two years now so it would be nice to fulfil my expectations about the way I am playing, post a few results and get myself well inside the top 25 and be done with this top-50 stuff.

“That's the goal for the rest of the season, because I am playing well enough. I just have to put it all together. It's the big weeks I need and I just haven't had one. I've played nice and consistently without giving myself a chance to win. I'm feeling good and just trying to play patient golf.”

McDowell was sure he had done enough with his 28th-place finish in the BMW Championship at Wentworth to remain in the top 50 before Monday's qualifying cut-off for the next two Majors. Had Brian Gay, Scott Verplank and Michael Sim birdied the final hole in the Byron Nelson Championship in the US, he would have lost out.

“I had a printout with what everyone within 20 spots of me had to do, but Brian Gay and Scott Verplank weren't on it,” McDowell explained. “I thought I'd be safe but if I hadn't made the top 50, I was happy to skip the US Open qualifier and just come here and then prepare to play the BMW International the week after Pebble Beach.”

McDowell insists that he is not obsessed by the Ryder Cup qualifying table but he is aware that he is over €400,000 off the pace in the European points list.

“I don't wake up on a Monday morning, pull the rankings out and work out where I stand, but I am very much aware that I need some big weeks,” he said.

Read more: http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport/golf/never-mind-50-mcdowell-goes-shooting-for-top-25-14821067.html#ixzz0ra3rpZap

He finished 4th in the above Spanish Masters, and took his form the the wales open at Celtic Manor (Ryder cup venue 2010).

graeme-mcdowell_1651636c.jpg

GRAEME McDOWELL did his Ryder Cup chances the power of good by capturing his fifth European Tour title at the Wales Open in Celtic Manor, where he and home favourite Rhys Davies gave the fans plenty to cheer about in the Welsh valleys.

McDowell described his flawless 63 at the 2010 Ryder Cup venue as the “best closing round of his career” and in many ways it needed to be for Davies was draining putts for fun all afternoon.

The 30-year-old began the final round four shots off Marcel Siem’s overnight lead before the German imploded with a quadruple bogey seven at the short third when he found water twice.

In contrast to Siem, McDowell fired out of the blocks and recorded eight birdies in his opening 11 holes before a run of seven pars to finish gave him a 15-under-par 269 aggregate to win by three from Davies, who closed with a spellbinding course record 62.

“I’m absolutely ecstatic, that first 11 holes was dream golf. It’s the best final round I’ve ever played to win a tournament,” beamed McDowell after his round. “I’ve been playing like this for a long time but just haven’t been able to put it all together. The first 11 holes on Saturday I also played magnificent and then came out this morning (Sunday) and did exactly the same.”

Davies became McDowell’s primary threat as he rolled in one putt after another with the blade to work the partisan crowds into a frenzy. Six birdies, two eagles, a solitary dropped shot at the 16th and the rest pars made up the record round.

McDowell knew a move from Davies was happening but stuck to his task. “I kept my head down, the first time I looked at a leaderboard was at 14 and saw that I was three ahead. I realised Rhys was going well and making a bit of a run for I heard plenty of Welsh cheers.”

“I just tried to keep the foot down and it’s a really tough finish. It’s an amazing game, at one point on Friday I thought I was going to miss the cut. It’s such a fine line and sometimes you just have to believe in yourself and stay patient.

“I’m over the moon; it’s great to win again because it’s so hard to do, there are so many top players out here these days,” added McDowell, who picked up the winner’s cheque for €350,940.

Despite the considerable payout it still wasn’t enough to move the Portrush pro into an automatic Ryder Cup spot – he’s 10th on the European points list – but he surely can start dreaming of a return to the Newport venue as part of Colin Montgomerie’s European team.

“I knew I had to win at least once this summer to have any chance of making the team. That’s the first one in the bag and a win round this venue will certainly stand me in good stead come September,” added McDowell, who bridged the gap to his last win at the 2008 Scottish Open.

“I feel like I’m in the form of my life right now. This is a really good start to a great summer, hopefully.”

There must be something in the northern water for the manner of McDowell’s win was reminiscent of how Rory McIlroy closed out last month’s Quail Hollow Championship with a spectacular closing 62. Monty will surely view the Irish pair as natural partners come October.

For several years McDowell lived less than 10 minutes down the road from the Ryder Cup venue and often used the place to practice. Yesterday he delivered the goods when it mattered to end the week lord of the Celtic Manor.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/sport/2010/0607/1224272003927.html

On a high of confidence and belief from such superb form, he took this form to the US Open. I personally had Graeme, Rory and Padraig as top picks to win the US Open, all 3 have very solid links games, and with Graeme growing up on Royal Portrush and Rathmore links, and Rory having the course record at Royal Portrush (he shot a 61 when he was 16years old) then i knew these 2 were primed for Pebble Beach. Graeme is a very controlled player, he can play target golf, and he has a steely nerve, so i believe of the 3 irish players, Graeme looked in best shape heading for California.

GRAEME McDOWELL was reared playing links golf along the rugged Antrim coastline at Portrush. At the age of 30 he came of age when transferring that experience and talent into Sunday’s career-defining major win on one of the most famous links terrains of them all at Pebble Beach.

His name is now etched among the greats but for the self-confessed “home bird” Portrush will always be his sanctuary. It’s where he feels most comfortable when away from the spotlight and among family and friends.

The new world number 13 led something of a nomadic existence when he joined the paid ranks in 2002 after a stellar amateur career drew to a close with his scholarship at the University of Alabama, where he won the Haskins Award the same year for most outstanding collegiate golfer in the United States and lowered Tiger Woods’ scoring average during a season he won six times.

McDowell won the Scandinavian Masters on just his fourth start as a professional and the individual with a penchant for fast cars quickly moved into the fast lane. He tried stints basing himself in Cardiff, Manchester and London but those residences never sat comfortably with him.

These days he has found the necessary balance with a “bachelor pad” penthouse apartment overlooking the strand on the east side of Portrush and also has an American base at the exclusive Lake Nona where he is currently building a new home.

“He’s just a regular guy around the club. Whenever he’s home he sticks the clubs over his shoulder and heads out for a game at the Dunluce just like anyone else, nobody really bothers him,” explains Gary McNeill, head professional at Royal Portrush.

Graeme and his brothers, George and Gary, who is part of the greenkeeping staff at Portrush, were introduced to the game by playing pitch-and-putt near Portrush with their dad Kenny before joining Rathmore Golf Club. To this day he has always phoned back to Rathmore to set up a round of drinks for everyone after his tour wins – it’s now six and counting.

While dad was with him in Pebble Beach and mum Marion in Spain, Gary was among the many gathered at the club and glued to the television before celebrating into the wee small hours.

Though he was made an honourary life member at Royal Portrush after the Scandinavia win, his affinity has always been with Rathmore, the club formed for the people of the town and situated several hundred metres from its more illustrious neighbour with its clubhouse adjacent to the first tee at the second Valley course.

“Graeme got straight back to Portrush after his win at the Wales Open earlier this month; it was the first time he was able to do that and brought us all out for a night out,” adds McNeill. “We went down to the Rathmore Wine Bar at the harbour and had a few beers and a bite to eat, that’s typical of him when he’s at home.

“Before our Christmas nights out we always speak to Graeme in advance to find out when he’s home. All our old assistants come back and we play for the ‘Caddieshack Cup’ then catch up over a pint afterwards. It’s still surreal to think we have a local winner of the US Open.”

Pádraig Harrington is still the benchmark when it comes to Irish major winners, but McDowell has joined an elite group and this win will undoubtedly serve as renewed inspiration for the likes of Harrington or Rory McIlroy, whom McDowell spends time with travelling to tournaments or playing practice rounds together.

McDowell isn’t due back to Portush until later in the week, such are the demands on his time he is due to appear on The Tonight Show with Jay Leno show in America. When home he may bump into a few old college heads as the Palmer Cup takes place at Portrush this week where America’s finest take on their British and Irish counterparts – McDowell himself played twice in the team event.

McDowell may have become the first European winner of the coveted US Open since Tony Jacklin in 1970 and only the second player from Northern Ireland to win a major after Fred Daly captured the British Open way back in 1947, but you get the feeling the local lad from Portrush will still keep his feet firmly on the ground.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/sport/2010/0622/1224273028476.html

gmd_i_609969t.jpg

2106_mcdowell_g_609282t.jpg

Well done Graeme, your first of potentially many majors. next up is another links, St Andrews.

An interview with Graeme from yesterday i think..

The press conference : The champion reflects on his road to the title, on how he held his nerve and on where he goes from here

The meltdown

On the second and third holes, how did you handle what Dustin Johnson was going through? Was it difficult?

Graeme McDowell: It’s always difficult to watch a guy do what he did. To watch him make triple (bogey) on two and go through what he went through on three, I felt sorry for him because we’ve all been there. We’ve all experienced that. It’s not a lot of fun . . . The delay, it didn’t really bother me too much. It gave me a little chance to collect my thoughts a little bit and really kind of calm myself down. I really enjoyed playing with him the last couple of days. He’s a real top sportsman and a great, talented player. He handled himself really well, I thought.

The course set-up

You came in trailing by three shots. You shoot three over par and you walk away with the trophy. Could you ever have imagined a scenario like that? Are you surprised nobody was able to get under par in the last, I think, two hours of the day?

McDowell: I was surprised because I didn’t think the golf course was set up as difficult as it has been, you know. I certainly didn’t think it was a Sunday-at- US Open-set-up. I was expecting to see much more brutal pin positions. To say they had it set up for scoring would be an exaggeration. It was still tough, obviously, but some of the pin positions were quite accessible, especially in the front nine. And I bogeyed nine and 10, I looked up at the leaderboard and I was surprised to be two ahead, I really was.

And I was surprised that Gregory Havret was the guy closest to me. No disrespect to Gregory, he’s a great player, but when you have Tiger Woods and Phil Mickelson and Ernie Els obviously there, you’re not expecting Gregory Havret to be the guy you’ve got to fend off. But I was very happy to be in that position on the back nine. And when I saw that I really made myself knuckle down. I made some great swings coming in, I have to say. Obviously bogeying 14, that’s just a brute of a hole.

I really had a great chance on 13, and on 15 I thought I made that putt. Really good four on 16, and watched Gregory make his bogey on 17.

I had an awful decision on 17. I obviously felt there was a bit of help in that wind and hit a four-iron up in the air, and it got nailed by the wind, and made my bogey. And when he didn’t birdie 18, you know, it was nice to be able to cruise on there and make my five. I felt calm and under control and made some nice swings.

The 18th

Were you tempted to go for the 18th green in two?

McDowell: (On) 18, I hit a decent drive. Hit it kind of where I was aiming. And I was in between hybrid to go for the green, if need be. If I needed four to win, I was certainly going to have a go there. When Gregory didn’t make a four, I laid it up with a nine-iron, and thankfully there were no dramas across the line . . . Just very proud of myself the way I handled myself this week, and I just can’t believe I have “major champion” after my name from now on. It’s a special feeling.

The venue

Describe your feelings of winning here at Pebble Beach, if that’s even more special?

McDowell: The US Open has always been a tournament – you know, if people asked me which major did I feel like my game is most suited to, I normally said the US Open, because I’ve always been pretty good off the tee, accuracy-wise. I’ve never really been the longest hitter in the world. But I’ve certainly put a bit of yardage on the last year.

I don’t think I’ve ever missed the cut in the US Open. The golf course has always kind of fitted my eye in some shape or form. I’ve just never really felt I had the short game to do it. I worked really hard on my short game the last couple of years, and came here early and really took my time on taking the golf course apart as far as the psychology to get around here.

I thought I executed my game plan really well every day, stayed patient most days. Thursday was probably my most impatient day. I felt like I felt a little frustrated out there. I promised myself I was going to stay calm and be tough over the weekend. I was proud of myself the way I stayed calm. To win at Pebble Beach, to join the names, Jack Nicklaus, Tom Watson, Tom Kite, Tiger Woods, me . . . wow! I’m not quite sure if I belong in that list, but, hey, I’m there now. It’s a pretty amazing feeling. I’d take a major championship anywhere on the planet, I didn’t really care. But, you know, to win the US Open here at Pebble Beach is a special feeling. I came here in 2001, I was a college player over in Birmingham in Alabama, and we were playing a golf tournament locally, and we came here to have a look around. We were in awe of the place, and thinking, wow. It reminded me of home quite a lot, the coastline and the ocean and just the beauty of it all.

The scenery here at Pebble, it’s a great way of taking your mind off what was going on. Anytime I felt nervous or felt myself getting ahead of myself I just had a look around and just took in the scenery and really just tried to use that to bring me back into the present.

The self-belief

Did you believe your time had come to win a major?

McDowell: I’ve served my apprenticeship to be here right now. Did I think I was ready to win a major? I don’t know. Maybe deep down I did think I was ready. I’ve put myself in position a few times, and I’ve learned a lot about myself.

The Da, and the future

Was there something special winning on Father’s Day. And secondly, after you’ve won this, is it going to be more on the US PGA Tour, or are you going to play the European Tour?

McDowell: My father (Kenny) said, “there’s only one thing I want for Father’s Day”, and I wasn’t quite sure whether I was going to be able to deliver that. It was a tough present to come up with, but there you go. It’s been special to have him here this week, to watch me win here on Father’s Day. It was really cool to have him come out on the green and give me a hug. He’s an emotional guy. He’s really enjoyed it.

Am I going to play a bit more in the States next year? That was my plan, my plan was to get my PGA Tour card this year, and play a little bit more golf out here. I’ve played quite a lot out here this season, I looked at the FedExCup, et cetera, et cetera, and not being a Ryder Cup year next year, my plan was to come over and play a little bit more.

The European Tour is my home, my home tour, and I’m not going to turn my back on there. I’m going to remain a loyal member of the European Tour and play my schedule, which is always something I’ve aimed to do. I think the great thing about golfers in Europe is we play all over the world, and I think we’re better players and better people because of that. I’ll continue to be a worldwide player.

The British Open

How do you feel about links golf at St Andrews, especially with this victory under your belt?

McDowell: St Andrews, I gave it a run in 2005, finished 11th. To go there as US Open champion and with an opportunity to win another major is going to be cool. But majors are tough to win, there’s no doubt about it. I still can’t believe that I’m sitting here a champion, there are so many great players in the world and golf courses are set up so difficult nowadays. I’ll be looking forward to St Andrews immensely. It’s a golf course I know really well. It’s all about course knowledge and local knowledge. At St Andrews you’ve got to know every bump and hump and roll in the greens.

There’s no doubt I’ll take an amazing amount of confidence from this week. To know that I have the ability to get one of these across the line, especially to know that I have the peace of mind to feel as calm and as confident as I did coming down the stretch.

The putting

Over the 72 holes, what parts of your game would you attribute the win to?

McDowell: I generally drove the ball pretty well. I felt like I found most fairways. And coming into these greens, you’ve got to be coming out of the short grass, simple as that. You’ve got to be controlling your spin. You’ve got to be controlling your flight. There’s no doubt I putted better. I putted good this week. I think I’m leading greens in regulation in the European Tour.

I knew I had the long game to do it. My putter has been a little cold this season. I’ve historically been a good putter, especially from short range. And that really hasn’t been my strength this season. Madrid, a few weeks back, I kind of changed my set-up a little bit, I went more orthodox on my set-up, got a little more mechanically correct, (and since then) my stroke has been solid.

But I don’t think I was lining the putter up well. And, between my caddie – he really is my rock, he has been for four years. I attribute a big part of this win to the help he has given me over the last four years. He really beats me into shape. It was kind of a little bit of his advice on the greens in Madrid a few weeks ago that has really turned my putting around.

The Big Easy

Before you were a professional golfer, what US Open were you keenly aware of? What event stands out in your memory?

McDowell: You know, one of the first ones I remember, I was a big Ernie Els fan in the ’90s, when he won the US Open. What was his first one? Oakmont. Yeah. That was probably the one I remember, because I wanted the Lynx golf clubs he had. I wanted the Ashworth shirt that he was wearing.

So I was probably 14, 15, and starting to realise that maybe I wanted to be a competitive golfer. And I remember that Open quite well. And his win at Congressional as well. I don’t know why Ernie always sticks out in my mind when I think of watching the US Open.

The Ryder Cup

This should solidify your spot on the Ryder Cup team. Can you talk about what that means to you?

McDowell: I really desperately wanted to be on this Ryder Cup team in October. I realised that it was going to be an unbelievably good team, with so many young, talented players coming through Europe right now. This is going to be a seriously, heavily contested team. I firmly believe we’ve got the team to win the trophy back. Valhalla a couple of years ago was an amazing experience for me. Disappointed to be in the losing side. I dreamt of being on the winning side and enjoying that experience. Ryder Cups are very special to me. Major championships and Ryder Cups are certainly things that are going to define my career. And to be part of the team in Wales is something I’m looking forward to, really, really looking forward to.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/sport/2010/0622/1224273028469.html

He will also appear on the Jay Leno show, i think its tonight, or was it last night? im not sure of US tv broadcast times ;)

A link to his website would've been just as effective lol

lol good read coco!

lol good read coco!

I am now huge McDowell fan.

Put $10 on him a 60-1 = +600
Salary cap contest for the US Open +230
Multiple player pick 'em +155

Cha' Ching +985

I was in 6-7 contests and was "spreading the wealth". But he was one of a couple players I had in multiple contests. It'll be nice to see him tee it up regularly in 2011...not a Ryder Cup year and his newly acquired 5 year exemption.

He has a real quick transition at the top. I wasn't sure if it would hold up on Sunday afternoon. But, he was Steady Eddie.

IMO, the best swing on Sunday belonged to Havret. Man, who wouldn't want that swing. Only bad swing all day was on 17 tee. But, the Havret discussion belongs in a different thread.

McDowell played amazing golf all weekend but the thing that truly amazed me time and time again was all of those 5 to 15 footers he was making for par. That was why he won that tournament. That guy had one of the best clutch putting performances over 4 days that I have ever seen in my life.

GMac has to have left himself below the hole as much or more than any of the competition especially on that last day. That by itself is plenty impressive as nobody could get iron shots in to stick on those greens. For the most part even if they kept it on the green, the ball usually found itself in a nasty spot. So as impressed as I was with his putting I was even more impressed with his ability to leave himself in decent spots on the green when almost nobody else with a chance to win on Sunday seemed to be able to pull that off consistently.

GMac has to have left himself below the hole as much or more than any of the competition especially on that last day. That by itself is plenty impressive as nobody could get iron shots in to stick on those greens. For the most part even if they kept it on the green, the ball usually found itself in a nasty spot. So as impressed as I was with his putting I was even more impressed with his ability to leave himself in decent spots on the green when almost nobody else with a chance to win on Sunday seemed to be able to pull that off consistently.

Graeme grew up playing Links golf, Ireland has 40% of the links golf courses in the world, so with this in mind, Graeme knows how to play up onto hard/fast greens with bad bumbs and curious curves. Its never easy playing that sort of golf, but i think he would be better prepared than most because of his familiarity with the enviornment.

He is a super golfer so it was just a matter of time before he broke through.

Graeme McDowell Welcome to the PGA Tour

Graeme McDowell Welcome to the PGA Tour

Graeme McDowell Welcome to the PGA Tour (Link Removed)

The next Tiger Woods in terms of clutch performance? The next Phil Mickleson in terms of the flair for the dramatic? The next Jim Furyk in terms of FedEx Champion? The next Lee Westwood in terms of a Euro taking over the #1 world ranking?
The way he finished up 2010 and lit up the Plantation Course at Kapalua in the 4th round Sunday, there is no reason all of these couldn’t happen in 2011 on the PGA tour. The Urban Golfer’s predictions came out last week and one of the pundits, who will remain nameless, predicted GMac would have a, “Hangover that would last well into 2011.” Gmac we are sorry we ever doubted you.
Gmac isn’t a workout nut, he doesn’t sleep in a hyperbolic chamber and he even switched his “Wands,” as he would put it in the off season from Callaway to Srixon. This guy just goes out and destroys ever pin he sees, he was a couple putts away from a 59 and another tourney win at the Hyundai Championship to kickoff the 2011 PGA Tour.
Since his official introduction into the worldwide golf media’s eye after winning the US Open last year at Pebble Beach he has gone on one of the most impressive streaks in recent memory. He clinched the Ryder Cup for the Euros, won a European event in Spain, took down Tiger in his own den and was awarded co-player of the year on the European Tour.
We are not saying Graeme is going to take over Jack for most majors ever or win the Grand Slam this year, but we can assure you he will bring a new flair to the PGA Tour in 2011. In the era of the non-descript US player, Gmac comes in drinking a Heineken and entertaining us not only on his twitter account but the greens and fairways as well.
Thanks,
The Urban Golfer

Last edited by a moderator:
we can read your blog for all this too!

Dang urban,,, another pretty interesting read. Dude you got some talent with your mini articles!

Merged threads and removed links.

Back