coughlin03

Reaction score
Orland Park, IL Golf Capitol of the World
Handicap
OK, I got tired of waiting for JB's Superfast review so here ya go:

After reading the Driver Shootout results and getting fit for a driver in Minnesota but not buying one, I went to my local pro shop and hit the R9 and the Superfast. I liked the Superfast better and bought it.

Distance: SF was longer and worked the ball better for me at the range. That was 10 days ago and since then I have played it 5 times on the course. 5 different courses.

I am a back nine golfer and often hit a bad first hole drive. 2 out of 5 first hole drives were bad. After the first hole in all 5 rounds I was hitting the ball 245 - 260 where I wanted to. Had less miss hits than I did from my Adams Speedline or the Nickent Evolver. On the back nine in all 5 rounds this club came alive! 2 days ago I drove a 320 yard green # 13 hole, to the surprise of the foursome putting on it. Longest drive in the past 15 years

Better than my last 3 drivers by 10 - 20 yards. This year I have been working my core, working with weights, heavy club, streatchy bands for flexibility and yoga for strength and flexibility. These are factors too, but still out driving my last 2 drivers. Distance is deceptive. At a range when you are cranked up, loose and hit 15 - 20 drives in a row, you will hit the later drives further. The real test is on the course when you have to shape the shot after 3 putting on a par 3. Distance is a combination of many things besides the club. Do not expect to buy a new driver and automaticly get 10 - 20 yards , more without working out, proper swing techniques, etc.

Workability: When I am drawing the ball, I play better, however, there are times when a nice fade is needed. This driver is the best shot shaping driver I have ever hit. One of my golf buddies started calling me the Babe because I was calling my shots off the tee. "Let's take it over the tree on the right and draw it back to the left side of the fairway." "I am going over the bunker on the left at 240 out and cutting it back to the center."

My working of the golf ball was not this good before Superfast.

Feel: It is longer and lighter than any driver I have hit. I found myself slowing down, err, I mean hitting the ball less hard, smoother, for better results. It feels smoother, more balanced and natural than my other drivers.

Build: The grip is cheap, cheap, cheap. The cap on the end feels like it will peal off quickly. This will get replaced when the season is over or when it falls off. I expect that to be in 4 - 6 more rounds. I got a stiff shaft but not the Myasaki the MN fitter recommended. Too much $$$$. Nice head cover.

Looks: Love the way this club looks at address. Makes me feel like a PGA pro. Looks are important for me. If it looks good, I am in a better mood to play better.

Price: All my buds who got new drivers in the past 3 years got an R9. That's one of reasons I got an Adams Speedline last year. I wasn't born to follow. After getting fit (A must do for ALL clubs) I decided that the R9 or Superfast needed a range test. Price did not have a vote in my decision, but once I liked the SF better, I liked the fact that SF was $250 versus $299 or $399 or $599 for the various R9 options. My pro had a 10% off on all Taylormade and I traded in a old clubs so my final purchase price was $85. Not too bad!

Overall: First and foremost, never read a review and go out and buy a golf club. Get fit by a pro and try the recommended clubs at a range. Even if you love the club, go home, sleep on it and research the club, then go back and buy it! I recommend the Superfast, for me! My R9 buddies are wishing they got the Superfast!

Great review, i love mine. i got fit like you said and we ended up putting a different shaft in it, now of course im going to change shafts again because i found one that worked better and wasn't available at any of the places i went to get fit. again though it is a great driver and i suggest it to everyone who is looking for a new driver.

Again Great Review Coughlin

Great write up. Glad you like it. Are you using the stock shaft?

Good writeup. As to waiting for ours, we can only go as fast as we test equipment and working with 50 other brands at the same time means only so many things can get done. Our write up on the drivers is complete and should be available for viewing soon.

JB,

Thanks. I was initially waiting for your review to buy this club but could not wait! My reviews are just my limited experience. So looking forward to THP's review.

Best,

Tim

Good writeup. As to waiting for ours, we can only go as fast as we test equipment and working with 50 other brands at the same time means only so many things can get done. Our write up on the drivers is complete and should be available for viewing soon.

Just out of curiosity, did you try the TP version and if so how did it compare?

JB,

Thanks. I was initially waiting for your review to buy this club but could not wait! My reviews are just my limited experience. So looking forward to THP's review.

Best,

Tim

I think you hit the nail on the head. Great write up and I am sure others will find this info incredibly useful.

Yes, stock shaft. I am cheap.:bananadance: But not if you ask my wife who says; "Oh, golf, Tim spares NO expense when it comes to GOLF!"

Great review, i love mine. i got fit like you said and we ended up putting a different shaft in it, now of course im going to change shafts again because i found one that worked better and wasn't available at any of the places i went to get fit. again though it is a great driver and i suggest it to everyone who is looking for a new driver.

Again Great Review Coughlin

I hit both based on the suggestion someone here made. The TP is open 3 degrees and that may lead to slices when you wind up to hit it out of the ballpark. My pro recommended the regular based on my swing and fitting. Used to be a slicer, now I try to draw the ball. I liked the looks of the TP but it did draw the ball more than I liked.

Just out of curiosity, did you try the TP version and if so how did it compare?

great review Tim! enjoy the new big stick!

Are you playing the stock length? I hit a friend's SF and the stock shaft was way too long. I think it's over 46".

Yes, that's what the pro shop guy thought. I have to open up and wind up to fade it.

Wouldn't the TP Superfast fade the ball more than you would like?

It's 46.5 the TP is 46. Did not find it a problem. I am 5'10'' with average length arms, long body. I just set up like I would any other driver and hit it. No problems.

Are you playing the stock length? I hit a friend's SF and the stock shaft was way too long. I think it's over 46".

Great review, thanks. Glad you're liking the new purchase. A lot of love for the TM woods at the moment, making me curious to try the new stuff.

Did anyone reshaft their Superfast back to the stock length or did anyone put in a shorter aftermarket shaft?
I was wondering if a 0.75" shorter shaft is going to affect the distance much (i.e. going from 46.5" to 45.75").

Back