Getting tired on the course

Golf Chick

Golf Fashionista
Reaction score
Handicap
Decreasing
The BF and I played both Saturday and yesterday and my arm feels like its going to fall off. After the turn, my arms start to get tired and my shots start going to the right instead of straight. How do you finish the round knowing that your arms are getting tired/sore/etc? I took 2 Advil at the start of the round thinking it would help, nope! Its also mentally exhausting as well, esp. when you're having an off day and its hot outside!

I don't think my arms have ever been tired after playing golf, but if I'm carrying my bag my legs used to be wiped out after 9 holes. I'm in much better shape now so even though I've been playing only 9 holes each outing this year, I still have some pep. I haven't been playing in really hot weather so far this year either.

Are you making sure you're staying hydrated GC?

Let's see...yesterday we had 3 gatorades and 2 bottles of water between the both of us! Maybe that's it? But if you're hydrated, would your arms get sore too? And plus, I don't think I've played this much golf in a while either...Considering my bad shots that I had yesterday too, that's even more unnecessary swings haa haa haa :D

I do not really have an issue with arms getting tired. But getting physically worn out overall out on the course is definitely something that happens a lot down in FL. Stay hydrated and stay refreshed. If you find yourself getting down mentaly, physically is not far behind.

Don't forget to snack a little too to keep your blood sugars going. I like granola bars and also take a banana.

The BF and I played both Saturday and yesterday and my arm feels like its going to fall off. After the turn, my arms start to get tired and my shots start going to the right instead of straight. How do you finish the round knowing that your arms are getting tired/sore/etc? I took 2 Advil at the start of the round thinking it would help, nope! Its also mentally exhausting as well, esp. when you're having an off day and its hot outside!

Not to get preachy, but here is where conditioning comes in. Golf is a sport, and like every other sport that takes some athletic talent, being in shape can go a long way, especially in the dog days of summer.

Don't forget to snack a little too to keep your blood sugars going. I like granola bars and also take a banana.

I had a baggie of almonds, but I left them in the car :( We need to start bringing our own drinks/snacks. That cart lady is expensive!! We do have a holder that clips onto your golf bag that holds 6 cans and another one that holds 2. I'll have to remember to bring those and snacks. We froze bottles of water the night before, that worked really well. Since our Par 70 course has carts, we could probably sneak in a mini cooler/ice chest thing and just stick that right into the cart in the back...hmmmm.....

Not to get preachy, but here is where conditioning comes in. Golf is a sport, and like every other sport that takes some athletic talent, being in shape can go a long way, especially in the dog days of summer.

Just recently, these past few weeks, I've been getting more into golf. So I'm at the range 2-3 times a week in addition to my lessons and then playing rounds on the weekends. Not to mention yoga starts up again this week :clapp:

This also means I'm not in shape!! haa haa

Last edited:
That is a huge problem out here in the arid desert. High temps combined with the natural dehydration that takes place will cause issues. I make sure I pace myself in that I limit excess movement. If I walk out to a ball, I carry all the clubs I think I will need so I don't have to make extra trips to the cart. Around the greens, I always carry a club and putter so I don't have to make an extra trip. I limit practice swings. I move more slowly. I drink lots of water or Gatorade. I make sure I keep my head covered and spend as much time in the shade as possible.

I had a baggie of almonds, but I left them in the car :( We need to start bringing our own drinks/snacks. That cart lady is expensive!! We do have a holder that clips onto your golf bag that holds 6 cans and another one that holds 2. I'll have to remember to bring those and snacks. We froze bottles of water the night before, that worked really well. Since our Par 70 course has carts, we could probably sneak in a mini cooler/ice chest thing and just stick that right into the cart in the back...hmmmm.....

Please do keep in mind that many courses do not allow outside drinks and food. It is a major source of revenue for them and while we are all about saving money for people, we also do not want to see golf courses in any more trouble financially than they are in. When cuts have to be made, it usually comes right from the budget that keep the conditions nice.

Perhaps checking with the course to find out their rules is the easiest thing.

Please do keep in mind that many courses do not allow outside drinks and food. It is a major source of revenue for them and while we are all about saving money for people, we also do not want to see golf courses in any more trouble financially than they are in. When cuts have to be made, it usually comes right from the budget that keep the conditions nice.

Perhaps checking with the course to find out their rules is the easiest thing.

Oh yeah, I didn't think about that! There are a lot of signs that say Please no outside food/drink :( I can still bring my own water right?

Oh yeah, I didn't think about that! There are a lot of signs that say Please no outside food/drink :( I can still bring my own water right?

The course doesn't have water stations spotted around the course? I have a 20 ounce Pepsi bottle that that I refill constantly from the coolers on the course as I play. I usually drink 40 to 60 ounces of water each 18 holes.

One thing I've noticed in the past too, the worse I play the more I feel fatigue, especially about the middle of the back 9. When I'm playing well, I may be just as tired but the adrenaline masks it. It isn't as noticeable now that I don't walk 18 holes any more, but it used to be very obvious.

I can feel your pain. It was unbearable yesterday...95 and serious humidity. I had one of the best front 9's ever then fell apart on the back. and there was no water on the course anywhere! I know several courses near me actually do not provide water on the course anymore. Something about it being a safety hazard...or maybe they just want to sell more bottles of water...

i was licked after the 16th hole today. i was walking it was hot. i stay as hydrated as possible but the sun can just beat a man down, and woman for that matter. i try to place my bag in the shade as much as possible and try to just take my time, the more of a rush i get into, the more fatigued i become.

I get beat by the 13 or 14th when its this hot too. It just happens. I can drink a ton of water or whatever but the body still gets tired even if Im hydrated.

If I'm playing more than 18 holes, I make a point of reminding myself to limit (eliminate) my practice swings, put my bag down while I'm waiting for others to hit, and sit down as often as possible, otherwise the second 18 will be agony.

I starting going to the gym at the first of the year. Standard cardio stuff but hired a trainer and worked on strength training. I can play 36 holes and not have a problem. I do carry Larabars for energy and eat one at the turn. I am hitting the ball farther than I ever have and I don’t seem to get fatigued.

I must add that I drink a lot of water and when it is very hot a gatorade now and then.

Last edited:
I know its also important to start drinking (water not beer lol) early, not after youre already beat down. That keeps you from getting dehydrated from the start. I try to keep out of the sun as much as I can too. Hide under the cart or a tree.

The snacks and beverages suggestions seem to be covered. I like to soak a bandanna in a cup of ice water. I just leave it there on my cart and dip the bandanna in it when it starts getting hot or dry. Just remember not to drink from that cup!
I also have tried a cabbage leaf under my hat, but that was mostly just for style.

I'd second the hydration and throw in the idea of a few quick snacks, nuts are always good. It can get quite humid here in Nebraska and it's always good to keep the hydration going.

Let's get in shape people! More walking if the courses allow it!

I usually walk 2 full rounds Friday, Walk/Ride a round Sat, Walk round Sun, and Walk a round Monday. My feet are the only things that are kind of sore by Sunday night. (I need new shoes.)

And it's 95* with 50%+ humidity here, so... more walking if it's allowed!

I empathize. I play on some hot, uber hilly courses, and my arms feel like lead after 18. Just stretch really well, drink you a lot of fluids, and make sure you maintain your form. It happens to me after about 3 hours on the range. You may lose some distance, but make sure you make smooth swings, no matter how tired you get. How long have you been playing?

This has been one of the biggest improvements I have experienced this year. I used to get fatigued all the time and struggle with my swing. Since I have been working out and getting into good shape it really hasn't been an issue. Also, no more back pain or soreness. Hydration and diet are important but there is no substitute for being fit.

I agree with this. Unforturnately some of the courses (most of them actually) dont have water on the course nor do they fill the coolers on the holes during the later rounds. Most of the uni's I play dont have a beverage cart during the later rounds either. It is hot!!!!!!!!! lol. So I bring my own water and snack. Ill usually buy a gatorade from the proshop when I pay for my round. My course I have been playing has really been kind with green fees so I try and pay them back.
That is a huge problem out here in the arid desert. High temps combined with the natural dehydration that takes place will cause issues. I make sure I pace myself in that I limit excess movement. If I walk out to a ball, I carry all the clubs I think I will need so I don't have to make extra trips to the cart. Around the greens, I always carry a club and putter so I don't have to make an extra trip. I limit practice swings. I move more slowly. I drink lots of water or Gatorade. I make sure I keep my head covered and spend as much time in the shade as possible.

I empathize. I play on some hot, uber hilly courses, and my arms feel like lead after 18. Just stretch really well, drink you a lot of fluids, and make sure you maintain your form. It happens to me after about 3 hours on the range. You may lose some distance, but make sure you make smooth swings, no matter how tired you get. How long have you been playing?

I quit doing alot of hard stretching. I would stretch alot on the 1st tee, people would comment on my flexibility (not that I think its all that great, but better than average apparently). Stretching too hard, I would start to really tighten up after several holes, and I'd have to keep stretching throughout the round. Lightening up my stretching routine is something that I think has helped me stay looser, if that makes sense.

Back