Don't Buy the Hype

I love, love, love my FT's...

I have only ever noticed a change in my driver distance when switching drivers and I do notice a difference in balls. I went from a Nike Sumo2 driver to the TM R9 and noticed about 10 yards difference, but they are totally different drivers and the R9 just feels right in my hands and to me eye vs the sqaure Nike. Most recently I have been tring out balls and I can say there is a definite difference in balls. I have played the Pro Vs, Bridgestones, Penta and Nike Ones and I consistently drive the Pro V approximately 10-15 yards further than the others. Needless to say the Pro V is in the bag for now.

just out of curiosity...those who say they have noticed a difference in yardage with whatever clubs, balls, etc...how did you document this increased gain?

I eyeball it. Best guess. HAHAHAHA.. It's late and that for some reason was incredibly funny to me. Really though, I actually guage by a hole or two on the golf course. Its a hole that I always seem to hit and its consistant yardage on the teebox. Normally a 160 yard par 3. I was able to go down a club when I brought my BP's for the first time. It was just one of those things I tried because I felt the other club was too much. I love the simulators too but they always seem about 10 yards short for me. For the driver I used the GPS on the courses' golf cart.

As far as telling with the different balls, I just took an average of where I was on the green. I know not very scientific but it helped. Plus I used some simulators and was able to get numbers from it.
just out of curiosity...those who say they have noticed a difference in yardage with whatever clubs, balls, etc...how did you document this increased gain?

I eyeball it. Best guess. HAHAHAHA.. It's late and that for some reason was incredibly funny to me. Really though, I actually guage by a hole or two on the golf course. Its a hole that I always seem to hit and its consistant yardage on the teebox. Normally a 160 yard par 3. I was able to go down a club when I brought my BP's for the first time. It was just one of those things I tried because I felt the other club was too much. I love the simulators too but they always seem about 10 yards short for me. For the driver I used the GPS on the courses' golf cart.

As far as telling with the different balls, I just took an average of where I was on the green. I know not very scientific but it helped. Plus I used some simulators and was able to get numbers from it.

yeah well your're a Lesnar nut hugger so its all taking with a grain of salt...

JB i agree. In my irons I will take forgiveness and consistency over distance anytime.

Spot on. I'd give you 10 yards back from each of my irons to be able to guarantee forgiveness and consistency (without sacrificing feel of course - impossible I know!). If you don't hit the 7 iron as far as you want.....that's why they give you a 6 iron in the set!

EXACTLY. Most people could be seeing a yardage gain or loss by a few yards and just dont know. Most will use a green or flagstick, but you never really know until you are on a monitor showing numbers.

I can tell with the balls as on certain holes on my course I can drive the green with a Pro V, whereas with other balls I cannot I will be 20yds short or thereabouts. When I changed drivers I tested out a few and hit on the monitor and went by those results and results on the course.

I think where people will notice their best gains is when they start using clubs that are right for them. Brilliant observation, huh!? I've been told by people I play with that I am hitting better and farther with these than I did with the Nickents. I notice that I've been hitting over the green more often than I had in the past. (I almost always go for the back of the green according to the GPS since I tend to come up short)

I buy ALL the hype!!!

Nooo Imma Rampage fan boy.

You can get really good info from the simulators and the launch monitors (launch angle, backspin, sidespin, ss). The only numbers I don't take as exact would be the distance. But I think the lm's at Golfsmith were broke.
yeah well your're a Lesnar nut hugger so its all taking with a grain of salt...

I have found no greater use of my sky caddie than to dial in my iron distances. I know exactly what my carry distances are with every club in my bag and I know about what I get on mishits. I would say out of everything I have added to my game over the past year nothing has helped me more than a distance device. It has easily knocked off a few strokes on my handicap just from me hardly ever underclubbing anymore. Most people I play with still try to hit too little club on most shots as where I know exactly what club I want to hit on each shot depending on the carry distance I have left to my target area. I miss fewer greens because I hardly ever hit too little club and occassionally I will hit it past the flag which I used to NEVER do.

I agree with the OP. Like OEM Kevin I've played a lot of different irons. Right now I have the Adams CB2s...supposedly more of a "player's" iron. My distance is a bit more with the CB2's than the stronger lofted SGI's I've played. They certainly aren't less forgiving than any SGI played, if anything they might be a bit more forgiving, which goes against "conventional wisdom". I also played the Callaway X-Forged irons. I found them to be more forgiving than any SGI I've used, and though the lofts were weaker the distances were very similar to the SGI's.

I'm beginning to wonder if "conventional wisdom" is just another term for marketing.

I agree with the OP. Like OEM Kevin I've played a lot of different irons. Right now I have the Adams CB2s...supposedly more of a "player's" iron. My distance is a bit more with the CB2's than the stronger lofted SGI's I've played. They certainly aren't less forgiving than any SGI played, if anything they might be a bit more forgiving, which goes against "conventional wisdom". I also played the Callaway X-Forged irons. I found them to be more forgiving than any SGI I've used, and though the lofts were weaker the distances were very similar to the SGI's.

I'm beginning to wonder if "conventional wisdom" is just another term for marketing.

Im a little confused by this. Can you explain how they are more forgiving? I mean robot testing shows a completely different story on off center hits.

I don’t know if anyone has ever had a similar experience but back many years ago when I played sparingly and poorly and eventually gave up the game for a long time, I had no swing at all. I was terrible. Probably made things worse by buying clubs off the shelf without being fitted for them but that would not have changed my horrible swing to a good swing. For all intents and purposes, I would lose yardage in my irons by about the degree of difficulty as you go from the scoring irons to the mid-irons to the longer irons. I was so bad that instead of gaining lets say 10 yards going from a 6 iron to a 5 iron I would lose 10 yards since I could not hit the 5 any farther than I could hit the 6. The same was true going from the 7 down to the six as I could not hit a six any farther than a seven.

It was ridiculous. I had that weak, ballooning and slicing right shot so familiar to the poor golfer. The longer the shaft the more it sliced and ballooned. It was embarrassing. I would have done just as well to walk the fairway with a 7 iron, a 3 wood a wedge and a putter. It literally did not matter whether I took out a 7 a 6 or a 5 in as much as I just got worse and worse as the shaft length got longer and longer.

Correction I did not slice the 4 iron. I never got it enough in the air to slice. My 4 went as far as my 7 as well only with no trajectory as it would just sputter out there a few yards and hunt for worms the rest of the way. If I got lucky it would hit a tree trunk square enough to gain some forward momentum.

Im a little confused by this. Can you explain how they are more forgiving? I mean robot testing shows a completely different story on off center hits.
Just that. Mishits go straighter and farther. Plus, I'm not a robot. :)

I thought everybody swings the club like a robot? :)

I don't think you can argue with the testing process though. Must be a mental thing.

That is very strange that mishits would go straighter and further when there is less weight behind them.

Stronger lofts, more perimeter weighting, and a deeper center of gravity all say that it does not happen that way.

But if it is working for you, stick with it.

EDIT: I am going to test this out this weekend. Take 2 sets of players irons and 2 sets of GI irons over to the range and try and hit them off the toe and heel as well as the sweet spot and see which goes straighter and further on the launch monitor. Interesting

Last edited:
That is very strange that mishits would go straighter and further when there is less weight behind them.

Stronger lofts, more perimeter weighting, and a deeper center of gravity all say that it does not happen that way.

But if it is working for you, stick with it.

EDIT: I am going to test this out this weekend. Take 2 sets of players irons and 2 sets of GI irons over to the range and try and hit them off the toe and heel as well as the sweet spot and see which goes straighter and further on the launch monitor. Interesting
For example recently I hit two shot off the toe and the ball went straight and still made it to the green. I look forward to hearing your results.

Back