AndrewG

Reaction score
Handicap
I would say 99% of all golfers I see, and pretty much 100% of pros, use a glove. I'm one of the 1%. I've never played with a glove, and when I have, it feel so odd and alien, like I'm disconnected from the grip, it comes off by the time I've reached my 2nd shot on the 1st :)

Now I'm not talking wet weather - I have got a wet glove, and use it, and its definitely necessary on wet winter days. I'm also not talking about 35 degree days, where the palms are so wet that holding the club becomes impossible. I'm in the UK, and we don't get days like that :)

No, I'm talking about the standard, dry palm, dry-sky, 20 degree rounds that make up the staple of my golfing diet. On these days, I can't see how a glove works, and how it can be better than a perfect contact between my naturally tacky hands (that allow us to hold all manner of smooth objects, like a cold, and wet, beer glass, with no problems at all), and the naturally tacky grip of the club. Surely its a perfect interaction?

I'd like to know a) How do I know I've got the right size glove, as I'm willing to concede that I might have always played with the wrong size one, and b) Will it save me a couple of shots a round using one :)

I'm not anti-glove, I've just never used one, so don't know any different.

Andrew- Here's how I fit myself for a golf glove. From what I've read my way isn't too far off from the 'proper way' to be fit

Pull the glove onto your hand from the palm of the glove, not the wrist end (this will stretch the glove over time)
Make a fist, cock your wrist, and close the flap of the glove
The glove should fit snug and not tight.

Another tip...after your round, store the glove in a plastic baggie. This will prevent the glove from drying out. The baggie will act as a humidor for the glove and keep the glove soft by using the natural oils and sweat in the glove.

Not sure that it will save you any strokes, but I used to get blisters on my hand when I didn't wear one. I had a pretty rotten grip at that time, so not sure if it would be an issue today. Plus, they look cool and it's another thing to buy. Can't beat that!

They look cool and it's another thing to buy.

...and it leaves another place for a tan line, so one can tell the difference between the "golfer's tan" and the standard "farmer's tan"

GolfJokes_TanLines.gif

i too have never worn a golf glove, but i want to. i have never worn one in the past b/c i could never really find one that fit my hand well. i don't mind not wearing one, but when it gets hot, i can see the value in wearing one for sure. i suspect that we deal with a bit more heat and humidity than you do though andrew.

Last time I tried to swing a club without a glove, I had stopped at a range to hit a new club without my bag... After about five balls, I nearly launched the club... So I hit easy punch shots with the rest of the bucket and it was still slipping...

I would prefer to putt without a glove, but its too difficult to take the thing off and put it back on. Plus they last longer if I just leave it on... In cool weather I must wear the glove to prevent blisters.

I have to wear a glove or I'll get blisters. I already do on my right hand, STILL :angry:

I think I wear a glove because if I didn't I'd grip the club too tightly. Already get a few blisters and they'd be worse without one. However, I do take off my glove when I use my wedges and putter.

I don't wear a glove unless it's rainy, like you Andrew. I keep my grips clean and tacky so I never felt the need for a glove. My hands never get sweaty - they're a little dry and calloused actually. I also don't get blisters when I play.

I used to wear one, mostly because I thought it was necessary and proper.... you never saw a so-called "real" golfer without one. But I also hated spending the money for just a half pair of gloves too. I actually quit wearing one about 15 years ago by accident, when my current one sort of disintegrated in mid round (I always pushed them to the very limit and a bit beyond). I found that I hit the ball the same without the glove, and seemed to have better feel for my chipping (I'd always worn it for every shot). So I didn't replace it, just kept playing without. My game was, and has continued to be, the same without the glove. I actually hate it when weather requires me to wear one, and my game suffers, not from the weather but from the discomfort of, and lack of tactile feedback with the glove.

Now I look at this like it allows me the luxury of playing a more expensive ball... I mentally apply the cost of a couple of gloves to each dozen Penta balls that I buy. :D

To the best of my knowledge Couples does not wear a glove. At least I've watched him not wear one at several events this year. I still do although I question why. There's no logical reason that a proper grip in good condition should slip any more against human skin than against leather.

I also strongly recommend only wearing it for full swing shots if you're going to. I take mine off as soon as I'm within 50 yards or so of the green and will be making finesse shots and or putts rather than full swings.

I've never worn golf gloves. Started back in early high school when I couldn't even afford golf balls let alone a glove. I grew up just south of san francisco near the ocean and everything in the morning is wet. (morning dew) Back then I felt I had better feel and control of the club without a glove. One thing, remember to WASH YOUR HANDS after a round or before you eat. Sometimes my hands are black by the end of a round.

One thing, remember to WASH YOUR HANDS after a round or before you eat. Sometimes my hands are black by the end of a round.

That's weird. Do you clean your grips regularly? The color doesn't rub off my grips at all. What grips are you using?

always use a glove mainly cause of the heat here in FL, it gets so humid an wet here on hot days that you can easily lose your grip, also the few times I tried to go without I ended up with some good looking blisters

I always use a glove as I think it helps with grip pressure. But anything under 100 yards I take it off.

i usually try and do the same thing icey. but sometimes hands are to sweaty so i have to keep the glove on unless im putting..
you can always tell who the newbies are on the course because they keep there glove on while putting lol

I never have, but I am going to try it over the next few weeks as I have a nasty wrist injury that is starting to rear its head. 1 day of practice is = 2-3 days of awful pain in my left had.

It is really pissing me off.

That's weird. Do you clean your grips regularly? The color doesn't rub off my grips at all. What grips are you using?

No it istn' color, more microscopic dirt trapped in the grooves of the grip mixed with a little sweat from the hands I suppose.
I believe in club care and maintenence, but I don't wash my grips as often as I should.

I never have, but I am going to try it over the next few weeks as I have a nasty wrist injury that is starting to rear its head. 1 day of practice is = 2-3 days of awful pain in my left had.

It is really pissing me off.

My friend uses this cheap walmart brand golf glove only because the velcro strap part is large and Very rigid. I tried it on and it feels like a small 3inch square plate taped onto the back of your hand. He says he feel like it restricts (support? better word?) his wrist movement so that he can't injure his wrist as much. (bad wrist car accident from years before)
Seems like an odd benefit to the golf glove but give it a shot.

Back when I was playing every day I stopped wearing a glove. No particular reason, but after my break from golf I started wearing one again. I like it because it's an easy way to take your mind of shots or how you're going to putt... Gives me something else to think about haha.. It may be something small, but it makes a difference.

Personally, I wear a glove because I can relax my grip. Anything but putting, a glove on my hand will promote a relaxed grip.

And I disagree with the "every pro wears one". One of my golfing buddies, who is also the local teaching pro, does not, and never has, worn a glove. He plays scratch golf. And I dont usually see Couples wearing a glove either.

I prefer to play without a glove whenever possible. I always just found it a pain in the neck to take on and off throughout the round. However, when it gets to summer temperatures of 90 degrees and I can't keep my palms from sweating, I have to use a glove.

I Haaaaaaaaaave to wear one. I grip so loosely last few years (far from my death grip before that caused a bad blister on my right index finger every round). But with my swing speed if I don't wear one the club is going right with the ball down the fairway. Plus once i stoped death gripping...literally added 20 yards to my drive.

I've always worn a glove. I think the habit came from having always worn a batting glove for baseball from the time I was in 1st Grade. By the time I started golfing (15) it was just natural and has always stuck with me.

I've never worn a glove ever. However, I've had to regrip with Winn Excel... nice and soft so they don't chew up my hands!

Back