Official College Football Thread (Spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I owe JB an apology for my criticism of FSU's Christian Ponder and his potential as an NFL QB. The first scout ratings came out for the 2011 Senior class and Ponder is rated as a potential first round pick (7.0 being a first round grade). From si.com.....

Christian Ponder/QB/Florida State/6.7: Ponder, who already completed his Master's Degree at FSU, scored a big number on the pre-season Wonderlic. He lacks the eye-popping stats on the college level yet is considered the most NFL-ready passer in the senior class.

He should go mid to late 1st round as I said during this draft.

So he's this year's Jevan Snead... Undrafted free agent with Tampa..

Not sure I see the correlation?

is it to early to start the college football arguments and the SEC vs. big 12 arguments? lol

hey we are still here for another year, dang cornhole fan! lol
just after that the big 12 will only have 10 teams but still called the big 12 haha

is it to early to start the college football arguments and the SEC vs. big 12 arguments? lol

I'll be honest and tell you it's not really an "argument" at this point.. even Big 12 fans will admit to you that the SEC is the best college football conference in the nation. Year after year they are the most complete conference from top to bottom, and consistently produce the nation's top football program. The SEC has a completely different style of play than the Big 12. Every team in the SEC plays defense and has the ability to run the ball successfully. For the past few years, the Big 12 teams have resorted to trying to win in shootout type games by throwing the ball 80% of the time. That may work in conference play, but not when you play a team who controls the tempo of the game and shuts down your passing attack.

no need to try and educate me i know what goes on in college football. and pretty sure not every sec football team shuts down a passing attack. so your saying the big 12 cant run the ball at all? but yes i do agree that the sec can run the ball better.

"consistently produce the nation's top football program."

from 1995-2005 there was 3 sec national champions so 30% i wouldnt call that consistent.
now as of the last 4 years yes i agree that the sec has produced better teams and the results show it. i just dont think you can say the sec has produced the nations top program, or perhaps word it to where it says the last 4 years.

Lol here we go. JB is bowing out of this one before it even gets started lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not trying to offend you at all, and I'll admit that I am definitely biased towards SEC football; it's what I've grown up around my whole life, and I'd fully expect someone from Texas to be just as diehard about Texas and the Big 12. The SEC is the cream of college football right now, but a few recruiting classes can change that quickly and I more than realize that. That's what I love about college football; it's kids playing a game they love. It's so passionate and real, and to me is so much different than any type of professional sport. I apologize if you thought I was trying to educate you, as I definitely was not. I am just very passionate about SEC football and take pride in it; after all, what else do I have to be passionate about? The Tennessee Titans or the Memphis Grizzlies? Not so much.

Lol here we go. JB is bowing out of this one before it even gets started lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
haha i had to start it some how..

Not trying to offend you at all, and I'll admit that I am definitely biased towards SEC football; it's what I've grown up around my whole life, and I'd fully expect someone from Texas to be just as diehard about Texas and the Big 12. The SEC is the cream of college football right now, but a few recruiting classes can change that quickly and I more than realize that. That's what I love about college football; it's kids playing a game they love. It's so passionate and real, and to me is so much different than any type of professional sport. I apologize if you thought I was trying to educate you, as I definitely was not. I am just very passionate about SEC football and take pride in it; after all, what else do I have to be passionate about? The Tennessee Titans or the Memphis Grizzlies? Not so much.
ya i know didnt mean to come off as if you where offending me.

but you saying sec can shut down the pass, look at UT and like you said the big 12 is a pass heavy conference and i agree but in that pass heavy conference ut only allowed 180 passing yards a game with teams that are throwing 35-60 times a game id say thats shutting down the passing game..
and every one knows if McCoy doesnt get knocked out of that game it would have been a whole different game. no one can say that the score wud have been the same with McCoy in there. not saying they would have won but it wud have been one helluva game to watch not that it wasnt anyways..

hey we are still here for another year, dang cornhole fan! lol
just after that the big 12 will only have 10 teams but still called the big 12 haha

Yeah I bleed RED for sure!!! It's quite weired that the old Big 10 has 12 and the old Big 12 has 10. It's like here in Nebraska we just moved from the Big 12 to the New 12!!!

il just be glad when they go to a playoff system. all this my conference is better than your conference so we should get more teams in is crap. just make it 4 big super conferences and go to a playoff like every other thing in america.

Yeah I bleed RED for sure!!! It's quite weired that the old Big 10 has 12 and the old Big 12 has 10. It's like here in Nebraska we just moved from the Big 12 to the New 12!!!

ya well there is still a year before it takes place so who knows something else might happen by that time lol

every one knows if McCoy doesnt get knocked out of that game it would have been a whole different game. no one can say that the score wud have been the same with McCoy in there. not saying they would have won but it wud have been one helluva game to watch not that it wasnt anyways..

Not everyone knows that. Texas fans sure seem to though.

going from a 4 year starter to a freshmen qb to finish out the national championship game? yes there would have been a difference. its like that anywhere. if your starting 4 year QB gets knocked out of the game in the first quarter and a replacement is a freshmen qb its going to effect the out come of the game. idk how you could disagree with that?

haha i had to start it some how..

ya i know didnt mean to come off as if you where offending me.

but you saying sec can shut down the pass, look at UT and like you said the big 12 is a pass heavy conference and i agree but in that pass heavy conference ut only allowed 180 passing yards a game with teams that are throwing 35-60 times a game id say thats shutting down the passing game..
and every one knows if McCoy doesnt get knocked out of that game it would have been a whole different game. no one can say that the score wud have been the same with McCoy in there. not saying they would have won but it wud have been one helluva game to watch not that it wasnt anyways..

You're right, the game would have been much different. But that's the way it goes. Injuries happen in football, and they definitely impact the outcome of the games. My senior year we were undefeated going into our second playoff game. Our starting running back, who had ran for 1300 yards and 25 touchdowns, goes out of the game with a sprained ankle. We bring a freshman in, who eventually goes on to be an all-state running back, but had zero experience at that time. We end up losing the game because they can focus completely on stopping our passing game, and our quarterback who had thrown for 2300 yards and 24 TD's with only 2 Int's throws 5 Int's in that one game. Although I think back about how that game would have been different, that's just the beautiful nature of football.

You're right, the game would have been much different. But that's the way it goes. Injuries happen in football, and they definitely impact the outcome of the games. My senior year we were undefeated going into our second playoff game. Our starting running back, who had ran for 1300 yards and 25 touchdowns, goes out of the game with a sprained ankle. We bring a freshman in, who eventually goes on to be an all-state running back, but had zero experience at that time. We end up losing the game because they can focus completely on stopping our passing game, and our quarterback who had thrown for 2300 yards and 24 TD's with only 2 Int's throws 5 Int's in that one game. Although I think back about how that game would have been different, that's just the beautiful nature of football.
indeed! injuries suck for sure. just part of the game like you said, and they change the outcome of the game to, which is not fair but it happens. all you can say is o well, always next year..

going from a 4 year starter to a freshmen qb to finish out the national championship game? yes there would have been a difference. its like that anywhere. if your starting 4 year QB gets knocked out of the game in the first quarter and a replacement is a freshmen qb its going to effect the out come of the game. idk how you could disagree with that?

Where did I say that? My belief is that the best team won that night and Texas stood no chance against that team. I also believe that the Big 12 is one of the most overrated conferences in football outside of the Big 10. They play no defense whatsoever and have proved that each and every year (past 5 or so). I think it makes some fans feel better knowing that it might have been a different game had he been in the game, but they did not face a defense like that all year (or any defense actually).

To me this is no different than the TCU diehards that were all over the board saying they were the best in the country and could give the SEC schools a run for their money last year. We saw that outcome pretty quickly, just as we saw it with the other undefeated team in Cincy. The two best teams in college football last year were both in the SEC. I hate to admit that being someone that is not a SEC fan. In fact I hate the conference, but there is absolutely NO argument about them not being the most dominant in college football conference over the last 10 years. None whatsoever!

Where did I say that? My belief is that the best team won that night and Texas stood no chance against that team. I also believe that the Big 12 is one of the most overrated conferences in football outside of the Big 10. They play no defense whatsoever and have proved that each and every year (past 5 or so). I think it makes some fans feel better knowing that it might have been a different game had he been in the game, but they did not face a defense like that all year (or any defense actually).

To me this is no different than the TCU diehards that were all over the board saying they were the best in the country and could give the SEC schools a run for their money last year. We saw that outcome pretty quickly, just as we saw it with the other undefeated team in Cincy. The two best teams in college football last year were both in the SEC. I hate to admit that being someone that is not a SEC fan. In fact I hate the conference, but there is absolutely NO argument about them not being the most dominant in college football conference over the last 10 years. None whatsoever!

its like this anywhere. say peyton manning gets hurt you put in a rookie there will be a difference in the outcome. im just stating a fact, McCoy gets hurt a freshmen goes in, there would have been a different outcome. thats just a fact. like i said though that still doesnt mean ut wud have won.

hey i never said anything about the big 12 being the best conference, i agree they dont play defense and they pass alot and there alot of high scores i never said anything about me loving the big 12 either i was just talking about ut.

i just pointed out that from 1995-2005 there was only 3 sec champions and i also said yes in the last 4 years they have been the best and the results prove it because sec has won the last 4.

i just pointed out that from 1995-2005 there was only 3 sec champions and i also said yes in the last 4 years they have been the best and the results prove it because sec has won the last 4.

Its not always about just the best team. It is about the best conference. Take USC for instance, they won titles. Would anybody say the Pac 10 was the best conference during those years? Of course not. The SEC is by far the most dominant conference and proves it year in and year out.

its like this anywhere. say peyton manning gets hurt you put in a rookie there will be a difference in the outcome. im just stating a fact, McCoy gets hurt a freshmen goes in, there would have been a different outcome. thats just a fact. like i said though that still doesnt mean ut wud have won.

hey i never said anything about the big 12 being the best conference, i agree they dont play defense and they pass alot and there alot of high scores i never said anything about me loving the big 12 either i was just talking about ut.

And by the way, a few years back Drew Bledsoe the Patriots star QB went down in a game and everybody said the same thing. A fairly unknown, not highly sought after QB came in and did just fine. His name was Tom Brady. If you would like some other examples, i can give them such as how Tony Romo got playing time, etc...

Its not always about just the best team. It is about the best conference. Take USC for instance, they won titles. Would anybody say the Pac 10 was the best conference during those years? Of course not. The SEC is by far the most dominant conference and proves it year in and year out.

i agree with that partially. over the past 5 years yes they have been. but more big 12 schools have been in the national championship game than any other school in the past 10 years. NOT SAYING BIG 12 IS A BETTER CONFERENCE. just pointing out a fact.
i also think the acc and sec should be one conference and put the big 12 and say the pac 10 in one conference to make them big super conferences so maybe that will be a push more towards the playoff system

i agree with that partially. over the past 5 years yes they have been. but more big 12 schools have been in the national championship game than any other school in the past 10 years. NOT SAYING BIG 12 IS A BETTER CONFERENCE. just pointing out a fact.
i also think the acc and sec should be one conference and put the big 12 and say the pac 10 in one conference to make them big super conferences so maybe that will be a push more towards the playoff system

the only reason the big 12 has had representation so much is b/c the sec beats each other up during the season. it's pretty safe to say that whoever wins the red river rivalry usually has an easier run to the national title.

i'm an acc fan, and we've just sucked for the past few years.

Playing in a weaker conference can lead to undefeated seasons, which in turn can lead to BCS games. The road to the end is far harder in a tougher conference.

And by the way, a few years back Drew Bledsoe the Patriots star QB went down in a game and everybody said the same thing. A fairly unknown, not highly sought after QB came in and did just fine. His name was Tom Brady. If you would like some other examples, i can give them such as how Tony Romo got playing time, etc...

a freshmen qb going into a national championship game against the number 1 team and deffense in the country is different than a rookie qb going into just a regular game and you cant compare tom brady to a college freshmen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back