I don't know but it is kind of a mental thing with me. Sometimes I'll go to the range and I'll just start slicing everything, then remember to put my glove on and the slice goes away.

A glove just helps to equate the strength of your weaker hand to your stronger one. This stops the strong side becoming too dominant in the swing and allows the hands to work together better.

If it suits you ofc, it's not the same for everyone.

I think I wear a glove because if I didn't I'd grip the club too tightly. Already get a few blisters and they'd be worse without one. However, I do take off my glove when I use my wedges and putter.

The same for me. The club just feels more secure in my hand when I'm wearing a glove.

Come on some of you guys, it's not that much trouble to take a glove off and put it back on between shots is it? Poor excuse! haha.

A glove just helps to equate the strength of your weaker hand to your stronger one. This stops the strong side becoming too dominant in the swing and allows the hands to work together better.

If it suits you ofc, it's not the same for everyone.

That's an interesting statement that I've never heard before. Where did you get that from?

yesterday was the first time I left the glove on for all shots except putts in over a year. it was way too hot and humid for me to go barehanded. Not that it mattered for my game yesterday lol

Leave it to the Welshman to do things just a bit different than most people. :act-up:

I've tried playing a round without a glove when I had forgotten mine and I was too stubborn to buy a new one. I couldn't do it. It felt, as you said, alien. I guess its a psychological thing, but I can't play without one.

I generally wear a very thin player's glove on the course for a little extra tack, but do not wear any glove on the range, where I want most is maximum feel and feedback. Trick to doing this if you have a reasonably high swing speed is to have very tacky grips. Until earlier this year, I used Lamkin crossline cords, which are tacky but shred your hands (or your glove) no matter how thick your calluses get, so heavy practice came with a price. Recently switched to the Lamkin performance plus with 3gen--tacky as glue as long as they're kept clean. I'm even starting to take the glove off during rounds--it doesn't add much with grips that are so tacky to begin with.

Interesting thread everybody - many thanks for taking the time to reply. There seems to be a couple of major reasons then, one being the delicate flowers who want to protect their handsy-wansies :D, and those who just use one because they always have, and it feels a bit weird to not use one... Not forgetting the ones where it genuinely is used for anti-slip reasons (hot, humid, wet weather)...

I wonder if its essentially a throwback to older times where grip tech wasn't as good, and there really was the risk of shredded hands?

i stopped wearing a glove because i got tired of taking it on and off. i do notice my grips getting a little slippery if i don't clean them regularly.

I like to use one to help my hand out. My hand was pretty blistered and calloused pre-glove days. Since then, things have gotten much better. I like to use a a glove about a size too small for me. Like it nice and tight fitting.

I do not like to play with a glove, just based on having something between my hand and grip to deaden the feeling or move a bit if the fit is not perfect.

I experimented with a glove last year and went back to none.

Just recently I have taken to wearing a glove, for what I think, is an oddball reason. I have rubbed the skin raw on my left-middle finger for where it meets the pad / heel of my hand. I am wearing the glove to baby it to let the skin heal.

I use Winn DSI (soft and tacky) grips based on comfort and less slippage.

I use a glove because my palms are very sweaty, especially in heat. The club definitely slips on impact if I don't have something to give a little more friction. I only recently started taking the glove off in between shots and to putt...sometimes I'll put it back on to putt depending on which is working better for me during the round. :p

I never used a glove until a year ago. I use one now everywhere besides chipping and putting. I find the grip much better.

I wanted to revive this thread as I have played my last 3 rounds without a glove at all, and I haven't worn one in my range sessions either and to be honest, I haven't noticed a loss in grip at all, and in fact I feel like I have more feel on my shots.

So, why do we use gloves? I know I started wearing a glove because everyone was wearing them so I thought that I should, but now that I'm not playing with one I feel like we are all just doing it because we are told we should wear a glove. I'm not sure if I will always play without a glove, but I don't see myself going back to a glove any time soon. So have you tried it? And if you did why did you go back to wearing a glove?

I normally play without a glove. The only time I find myself needing one is if it's really humid or hot (sweaty hands). Otherwise, I definitely prefer no glove and have been that way all my golfing life!

I wanted to revive this thread as I have played my last 3 rounds without a glove at all, and I haven't worn one in my range sessions either and to be honest, I haven't noticed a loss in grip at all, and in fact I feel like I have more feel on my shots.

So, why do we use gloves? I know I started wearing a glove because everyone was wearing them so I thought that I should, but now that I'm not playing with one I feel like we are all just doing it because we are told we should wear a glove. I'm not sure if I will always play without a glove, but I don't see myself going back to a glove any time soon. So have you tried it? And if you did why did you go back to wearing a glove?

I didn't wear a glove as a youth because I couldn't afford them. Now I always have 3 to 6 in my bag at all times. I switch to a new one every couple or three weeks. My hands sweat and I like the feel of the leather on the grip. I like it while putting, too.

Kevin

gwar01_0307_couples_300.jpg

If it's good enough for 'Boom-Boom' Freddy Couples, it's good enough for me.

If your hand slips without a glove, you're just hiding the problem.

Coolbreeze, I played without a glove for about a year and just recently started using one again. After a while, the wear on my hands got pretty rough. Also, my hands didn't slip without a glove, but I feel that after so long without one, I have more control of the club face while wearing one. For a while I didn't think I was missing anything, but now that I have a glove, I doubt I'll go back to golfing without one.

I don't wear a glove 99% of the time, but I felt a Titleist players glove Sunday that might change my mind. That thing was nice.

I dont use a glove and haven't for about 10 years. I dont think most people need one with all the new materials used on today's grips

I dont use a glove and haven't for about 10 years. I dont think most people need one with all the new materials used on today's grips
I think I agree with this. With a good golf grip and a good grip on the club, I don't think we need a glove.

I don't wear a glove 99% of the time, but I felt a Titleist players glove Sunday that might change my mind. That thing was nice.

They are fine gloves, but be warned they wear out quickly. I'll buy them 10 or 12 at a time if I find a deal. Bought some for $8.00 a piece for my daughter at the golf shows. They didn't have them in right hand or I would have loaded up. I also use my members points at the end of each season at my club to stock up.

Kevin

I think I agree with this. With a good golf grip and a good grip on the club, I don't think we need a glove.

I want the different feel on the grip for my top hand and low hand.

Kevin

Yikes, thats kinda scary considering what they ask for at Golfsmith. Might get in touch with Patty.
They are fine gloves, but be warned they wear out quickly. I'll buy them 10 or 12 at a time if I find a deal. Bought some for $8.00 a piece for my daughter at the golf shows. They didn't have them in right hand or I would have loaded up. I also use my members points at the end of each season at my club to stock up.

Kevin

Back