Official NBA Thread

Even with FL's no income tax laws?

Its close, but he is still short. But the bigger thing is will his ego let him not be the highest paid player on the team?

that's the multi-million $$ question.

I think the bigger thing to come out of this is....is this the meanest thing an athlete has ever done to a city? Going on tv for an hour to say you're leaving? Assuming he is which I think at this point he will. He probably tried to convince Bosh to come to Cleveland which he said 'no way' so now to save face and risk losing in the playoffs to these guys, he's going to join them.

Its close, but he is still short. But the bigger thing is will his ego let him not be the highest paid player on the team?

I think James is going to announce his retirement!

I think the bigger thing to come out of this is....is this the meanest thing an athlete has ever done to a city? Going on tv for an hour to say you're leaving? Assuming he is which I think at this point he will. He probably tried to convince Bosh to come to Cleveland which he said 'no way' so now to save face and risk losing in the playoffs to these guys, he's going to join them.

That seems to be the scenario that most are talking about. But a guy who has a team around him that clearly says "its all about team bron", could they really let him go to a team and be the 2nd highest paid player?

but take this with a grain of salt...my friend who works in the NBA offices is saying that he's going to the Knicks.

If this happens I'm going to :poop:

I'm wondering what Cleveland fans would call this after all the disappointing things that have happened to them in the past. The Drive, The Shot, The Fumble... I personally like The Betrayal.

LeBron is going to make bank no matter where he goes because of the endorsement deals he's going to receive. It just depends on whether he wants to win right away (Chicago), loyalty (Cleveland), friendship (Miami), or a chance for immortality (NY). It's a tough choice.

Here's a good read on the situation:

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/100708

As I outlined earlier, I dont think winning right away is done in Chicago. All penetrating players and no shooters. Adding one more does not change that. My opinion of course, but ego once again plays the role there as he has to look at that statue every day. As for immortality in NY, not sure about that one either. Big cities in the NBA dictate immortality, but unlink most sports, they market star power rather than teams. The greatest players and most well known players in NBA history were not in NY.

The guy makes "bank" now, it is about ego and being the highest paid guy for some. If he can move past that, Miami is his stop, just not sure he can.

but take this with a grain of salt...my friend who works in the NBA offices is saying that he's going to the Knicks.

I guess the point is is that no one knows what the hell he's doing and the media is creating an even bigger feeding frenzy for info then there really needs to be. I never thought Favre Watch could be topped for silliness but Where's Lebron Going? is leading by 2 lengths and pulling away....

As I outlined earlier, I dont think winning right away is done in Chicago. All penetrating players and no shooters. Adding one more does not change that. My opinion of course, but ego once again plays the role there as he has to look at that statue every day. As for immortality in NY, not sure about that one either. Big cities in the NBA dictate immortality, but unlink most sports, they market star power rather than teams. The greatest players and most well known players in NBA history were not in NY.

The guy makes "bank" now, it is about ego and being the highest paid guy for some. If he can move past that, Miami is his stop, just not sure he can.

Out of all the teams that he has a choice of going to Chicago is the one that has most of the pieces in place and can make a run for a long time. I still think the Lakers are the team to beat no matter the outcome but if he lands in Chicago that's a series I'd like to see. As for basketball immortality, NY has been such a downtrodden franchise for a while now with no championships that he can be the one that starts the resurrection. Granted it's not a guarantee but if he is the catalyst and the one that is dubbed the savior of basketball in NY then with all the hype that would be to come in a big market, immortality can be there much like Jordan with Chicago. I agree that the greatest players and most well known players did not play for the Knicks, and that's why the argument for immortality is there. He'll be revered beyond Ewing, Reed, Bradley, DeBusschere who were arguably the most well known Knicks.

IMO, if the pieces were to fall in place his best stop would have been Dallas. They primarily have a lot of role players, a deadly mid/long range shooter in Dirk, a PG that doesn't mind giving up the rock with JKidd, and an owner that doesn't mind putting his money where his mouth is (and that's a big mouth). But for all we know at 9P he could be announcing that he's headed for Panathianakos or Real Madrid.

i disagree i think his best shot to win now and alot more in the future is with the heat. with wade, bosh, and bron they will be a tough team to knock off. i think the heat team with bron is much better than the bulls team with lebron.. just my opinion though..

Out of all the teams that he has a choice of going to Chicago is the one that has most of the pieces in place and can make a run for a long time. I still think the Lakers are the team to beat no matter the outcome but if he lands in Chicago that's a series I'd like to see. As for basketball immortality, NY has been such a downtrodden franchise for a while now with no championships that he can be the one that starts the resurrection. Granted it's not a guarantee but if he is the catalyst and the one that is dubbed the savior of basketball in NY then with all the hype that would be to come in a big market, immortality can be there much like Jordan with Chicago. I agree that the greatest players and most well known players did not play for the Knicks, and that's why the argument for immortality is there. He'll be revered beyond Ewing, Reed, Bradley, DeBusschere who were arguably the most well known Knicks.

IMO, if the pieces were to fall in place his best stop would have been Dallas. They primarily have a lot of role players, a deadly mid/long range shooter in Dirk, a PG that doesn't mind giving up the rock with JKidd, and an owner that doesn't mind putting his money where his mouth is (and that's a big mouth). But for all we know at 9P he could be announcing that he's headed for Panathianakos or Real Madrid.

I strongly disagree on the Chicago thing, although I could see him going there. They wont win early. With the exception of Boozer, they had all these pieces last year and did nothing except look like all of these players are overrated. Rose cant shoot, neither can Deng. And they traded their only shooter. Comparing what they have in place with a Miami team that can offer the same money (except being the highest paid player) when they have Wade, and Bosh is just not the same. The big 3 always wins titles. Look at almost every champion over the last few decades. And nobody is going to be calling Rose, James, and Boozer, the big 3. Not yet anyway. Rose is just not quite there yet and Boozer is a 2nd tier very good player. They are a team of really solid role players with nobody that can shoot longterm. Miami can build around with the proper role players because they only have 5 guys or less under contract!

By the way, your analysis for the NY immortality fits with Cleveland too. The NBA markers stars not cities. It has since 1979.

As for the Mavs scenario, the only way that could ever feasibly happen is through sign and trade. They dont have the tiered cap space after Dirk signed.

The funny thing other teams have quietly made some unbelievable moves. Boston resigned Pierce and Ray Allen and just added Jermaine O'Neal as well. Miami looks to be cleaning house with everything to build around whether they have 2 or 3 players. Chicago moved their only shooter to clear up room to bring in Boozer (he played with James in Cle). A lot going on and yet a guy that has not won yet is dominating the talk.

I really thought James was different than this mess. But he is being very much misguided.

Agreed but when your core group of friends and advisors are all your age and along for the ride on your meal ticket, who is going to say something against Bron Bron?
The funny thing other teams have quietly made some unbelievable moves. Boston resigned Pierce and Ray Allen and just added Jermaine O'Neal as well. Miami looks to be cleaning house with everything to build around whether they have 2 or 3 players. Chicago moved their only shooter to clear up room to bring in Boozer (he played with James in Cle). A lot going on and yet a guy that has not won yet is dominating the talk.

I really thought James was different than this mess. But he is being very much misguided.[/QUOTE]

Here is the million dollar question. Does anybody's view change of him if when it comes time for the announcement, he says he is staying?

i think it would be dumb if he stayed when he could swallow his ego and go to the heat and have alot better chance of winning than at the cavs. but guess we will see tonight if money matters more to him than having a chance to be on a better team like the heat..

Has anyone else heard the crazy rumor of some insane number from Cleveland for a lifetime contract?

i think it would be dumb if he stayed when he could swallow his ego and go to the heat and have alot better chance of winning than at the cavs. but guess we will see tonight if money matters more to him than having a chance to be on a better team like the heat..

The money is almost identical. Plus he would not have to build a new office, new homes, etc...

Has anyone else heard the crazy rumor of some insane number from Cleveland for a lifetime contract?

That has been done a couple of times and still ends up getting renegotiated every few years. Magic Johnson signed a 25 year contract for 25 million early in his career.

As for the Mavs scenario, the only way that could ever feasibly happen is through sign and trade. They dont have the tiered cap space after Dirk signed.

This I am aware of and is exactly why I said "would have been". As far as immortality goes, you can say that about every team not named Celtics, Bulls, Lakers. But being a winner on a franchise that has not won in a long time and being the piece that gets it going has an air of immortality to it (ask the 04 Red Sox). I guess you can define immortality in sports in different ways and to some it's one thing and to others it's another. No matter where he goes I'm sure there will be a pressure to win like no other athlete has ever felt before and to win in that scenario could also be defined as immortal.

The more and more I think about it, I think it's going to be a team we don't think it's going to be. Just a thought, NBA analysts have almost become weathermen, they can guess, be wrong, and still get paid! Nice gig!!!

The money is almost identical. Plus he would not have to build a new office, new homes, etc...

i was talking about the not being the highest paid player on the team thing.. he will make his money regardless where he goes just if he can deal with not being the top paid player..

This I am aware of and is exactly why I said "would have been". As far as immortality goes, you can say that about every team not named Celtics, Bulls, Lakers. But being a winner on a franchise that has not won in a long time and being the piece that gets it going has a air of immortality to it (ask the 04 Red Sox). I guess you can define immortality in sports in different ways and to some it's one thing and to others it's another. No matter where he goes I'm sure there will be a pressure to win like no other athlete has ever felt before and to win in that scenario could also be defined as immortal.

Question, doesnt your exact definition say Cleveland just like it says NY?

The more and more I think about it, I think it's going to be a team we don't think it's going to be. Just a thought, NBA analysts have almost become weathermen, they can guess, be wrong, and still get paid! Nice gig!!!

Its possible, but he only had meetings with a certain number of teams and only a certain number can pay his salary due to cap restraints.

Mine would. I'd look at him i the same light as Joe Mauer of the Twins. Staying in his hometown for arguably less money when bigger $$$ was out there, etc. But I still think all of this attention and how he's going about the process is still bunk
Here is the million dollar question. Does anybody's view change of him if when it comes time for the announcement, he says he is staying?

Mine would. I'd look at him i the same light as Joe Mauer of the Twins. Staying in his hometown for arguably less money when bigger $$$ was out there, etc. But I still think all of this attention and how he's going about the process is still bunk

Agreed 100%

Back