is this really entertaining?

C

ChristianGolfer

I don't like to see these pros burn up a course, as of right now Steve (yes, we are on a 1st name basis) is -26. This course can't be hard for them. Yes a 59 is special but when it seems all dudes are shooting low 60's on the regular, it is not as entertaining for me. Cannot watch like I normally do.

I don't like to see these pros burn up a course, as of right now Steve (yes, we are on a 1st name basis) is -26. This course can't be hard for them. Yes a 59 is special but when it seems all dudes are shooting low 60's on the regular, it is not as entertaining for me. Cannot watch like I normally do.

That's why I'm watching the LPGA (and the World Cup).

normally I like it when the Big names don't play but you're right this time. I'm watching World cup and Woman's LPGA right now.

There is a reason why I prefer the majors over just regular events.

I agree to an extent. But I relate it to other sports, and almost an exhibition like performances such as HR Derby, Dunk Contest, etc...Or in the NFL when a team got to play my Bucs last season.

I think it goes to show just how good these guys are. I mean this was a 7200 yard par 71.

If these guys had come here a week earlier it would have been very different. It hadn't rained for almost 10 days and the courses were all playing very fast.

Paul certainly didn't back into that 59. He put on a great show of putting on thursday.

I still like to watch even if they are making the course look simple. I'm always paying attention to their swing types, strategy, equipment, etc

Going along with JB's view piont, this is just rediculous when I look at the courses I play and can't break 80, lol. "These Guy's are Just Good"! I enjoyed watching Steve do it again, regaurdless.

I understand that it does show just how good these guys are when they can just constantly put up scores that are unattainable for us. At the same time I just don't like watching when they do.

The biggest difference in the TPC at Deere Run and alot of other venues is the greens allow putts to be made. The pro's could shoot in the low 60's every week but they usually don't make 10 birdies over 10 feet like they did this week. Those greens just roll true and a good speed for some low scoring.

If the wind keeps up over here, you'll definitely enjoy The Open then.

Practise rounds so far have seen putts rolling 10ft past the hole, then blown back beyond the player's feet! That would be interesting at least.

I agree... a birdie should be a reward for excellence, not just a typical score. I find the birdie-fests that you see at some tour stops to be quite boring, and this is one of those. I've gotten so I hardly watch any golf on TV any more because of that. The player who hits 2 or 3 good shots should be rewarded with par and a chance for birdie. The player who hits 2 or 3 great shots should have a good shot at birdie, with an occasional eagle opportunity. I don't want to see good shots punished, but a player shouldn't be rewrded excessively for just plodding along either.

I don't mind 10-12 under par, but when it gets beyond that, then I start to lose interest. When the cut line is below par then the players just aren't challenged enough to make for interesting viewing. :confused2:

JB said:
I think it goes to show just how good these guys are. I mean this was a 7200 yard par 71.

Length isn't everything. The highest winning score in the last decade there was -16. If they are that good, then challenge them, don't coddle them.

What are they doing to coddle them?

its only entertaining if im the one shooting 26 under... just dont wake me to watch someone else do it

I thought it was quite entertaining. you still have to have skill or else the whole field would have shot -25

I get that they field scored low, especially a few players, but looking back at past tournies at other venues, they average score is not that much different. Obviously, not counting some of the known difficult set-ups. There were torrential rains on Wednesday and that made the greens a sponge. Same thing happened last year. I just don't see how that is coddling anybody. The course looks tough to me. If you miss long at all on 17 you are done for, miss left on 16 and your ball is in the river, miss left or right on 18 and you are in trees or the pond. It's not the most difficult layout, but it's not some playground to score birdies on either. It just turned out that way this week with conditions. You still have to make putts.

Every tournament is different. Some high scoring and some low. I just like to watch them hit the little white ball into the hole.

i love it when the top guys struggle on tough courses... watching them hit shots the way i hit them... and be amazed at them still getting a birdie or par afterwards

What are they doing to coddle them?

Setting up a course that allows players to shoot 26 under par.... You can't see that a setup which allows players average 6.5 strokes under par per round is a joke? :dohanim:

i love it when the top guys struggle on tough courses... watching them hit shots the way i hit them... and be amazed at them still getting a birdie or par afterwards

Did you see Kenny Perry top the ball outta the fairway bunker? lol

Did you see Kenny Perry top the ball outta the fairway bunker? lol
thats what makes golf so great... anyone can hit at least one great shot and a pro can hit at least one crappy one... lols

Setting up a course that allows players to shoot 26 under par.... You can't see that a setup which allows players average 6.5 strokes under par per round is a joke? :dohanim:

Well, one player scored that much under. The average score for the week was around 69.5. Not quite 6.5 under. Again, the course was soft. Why is it a joke?

I agree, once in a while someone will shot a low round, but when they average less than 65 strokes a round for four rounds (and he averaged less than 63 strokes the first three rounds) it's a little much. I love the majors and their shoot around par to win it scores, and a normal tournament, 10 to 15 under par should be a good target. But a lot of people like birdiefests, and that helps sell tickets so they are going to continue.

I don't get the complaints about the pros putting up good scores? They have to still play the course and hit the shots. "Easier" is relative to me. The course setup may be easy, but they all have to play the course and make good shots.

I do like watching the pros play tough setups too though. However I hate it when its so "tough" that many good shots are punished. Also I don't like when courses are so tough that it takes away from the golfers skill.

But complaining about pro's shooting good scores I don't get at all.

The only thing easy about TPC Deer Run are the fairways. Most are very wide. You still have to hit the green and make the putt. The players are just that damn good, period.

I don't get the complaints about the pros putting up good scores? They have to still play the course and hit the shots. "Easier" is relative to me. The course setup may be easy, but they all have to play the course and make good shots.

I do like watching the pros play tough setups too though. However I hate it when its so "tough" that many good shots are punished. Also I don't like when courses are so tough that it takes away from the golfers skill.

But complaining about pro's shooting good scores I don't get at all.

Aside from your last sentence that is essentially what I said. I feel that if they want to be called the best in the world, then they should be challenged when asked to prove it. A golf course should test every part of a player's game, and the one who meets that test should win. But it should still be a test. If the weather makes the greens softer, then maybe you cut the holes tighter to make them less accessible, forcing the player to hit the right side of the fairway to have a decent approach. If the weather has made the track fast and firm, then you maybe get a bit friendlier with the hole locations. There are ways to do this that doesn't result in players averaging -5 and better every round... ways to keep the cut line around par or a bit over. If not, then maybe it's time for a revamp of the course to make it more of a test.

Just my opinion, but I simply don't enjoy watching Tour players play the kind of a tournament that we saw this weekend.

Back