Tiger Woods Switches Putters

I remember reading that he changed putters, and then have been watching today wondering why because it looks so similar to the Scotty. So I guess the difference is in the face? Makes sense that he'd want it to be similar to what he's used to if he intends to switch back. I don't really see this as huge news if he is planning on switching back.

It seems like Nike should be able to custom build him a putter exactly like the Scotty he has, that says Nike though.

I think he made that remark as an out. If he putts well , and/or wins I can almost promise you he won't be rolling the Scotty Next tournament.

Of course the difference is in the face! The method has grooves with polymer. The Scotty is just milled?
I remember reading that he changed putters, and then have been watching today wondering why because it looks so similar to the Scotty. So I guess the difference is in the face? Makes sense that he'd want it to be similar to what he's used to if he intends to switch back. I don't really see this as huge news if he is planning on switching back.

It seems like Nike should be able to custom build him a putter exactly like the Scotty he has, that says Nike though.

for sure whatever hitch he had in his putting stroke ruined his confidence in the scotty now he is rolling this one pretty well last couple of holes he pulled them a little but hey if he contends all tourny long and he feels confident i see no reason for him to swtich back.

nice to see Tiger back in the hunt... new equipment or not, I love to watch him play...

I think some of the expert comments have been interesting. I can’t remember which one but during the telecast one mentioned that in his view all putters one day would have grooved faces and that a putter without a grooved face would become obsolete at some point. He seemed to suggest that the grooved face putter had a similar impact on a golf ball that a person has with a bowling ball in that the ball actually spent more time off the turf directly after leaving the face of the putter (please anybody that saw that part of the telecast feel free to correct me if I have gotten this part wrong). The expert did not make the comparison to a bowling ball but did talk about how much the ball was off the turf directly after impact, So whether or not Tiger goes back or not there appears to be an opinion out there that grooved putters will replace entirely putters that do not have them.

I had mentioned earlier in this thread that regardless of what Tiger does in the future, the way he has explained his reasoning creates a giant marketing problem for SC. Virtually any green that the average Joe is going to play on is going to feature slower greens than the kind of tourney prepared greens that Tiger referred to. Hence we might surmise that a putter of that type would almost always be better for us average Joes. Lets’ see. We have a few hundred touring pros playing Major Tourney prepared, fast greens and a few billion of us average Joes playing local courses usually with slower greens. Sounds like one might be able to sell quite a few of these putters.

I had mentioned earlier in this thread that regardless of what Tiger does in the future, the way he has explained his reasoning creates a giant marketing problem for SC. Virtually any green that the average Joe is going to play on is going to feature slower greens than the kind of tourney prepared greens that Tiger referred to. Hence we might surmise that a putter of that type would almost always be better for us average Joes. Lets’ see. We have a few hundred touring pros playing Major Tourney prepared, fast greens and a few billion of us average Joes playing local courses usually with slower greens. Sounds like one might be able to sell quite a few of these putters.

You could be on to something there. You dont work for Nike, do you? lol. Good analysis

No, I don’t work for Nike. However Sales and Marketing is my line of work. Consequentially, I have analyzed market conditions and situations and written tons of copy over the years, none of it for the Sporting Goods industry. However it is very hard for me to look at a particular market phenomenon or market dynamic and not try to understand it in competitive terms. It’s in the blood. Don’t look at any of my copy in these threads as representative as I am much too careless here. I am much more meticulous when writing copy as an assignment.

And he switches back to the Scotty putter for Sunday....lol Ouch kind of a blow to the Nike Method line of putters.

putter really doesn't matter if you're leaving yourself in those bunkers....

maybe he needs to go through a Bridgestone ball fitting

I think way too much is being made of this. How many of us have used the same putter for as long as Tiger did the Cameron? Everyone switches putters all the time including the pro's. It was bound to happen sooner or later. Nike has not been part of the putter game that long and I always figured once they started making putters, he would switch at some point. The timing was right. He has not won this year, so there was nothing to lose.

Sure seem's like Tiger and a lot of the field are leaving a lot of putts on the right edge today, while these final two are some what under putting and staying left. Tigers speed control with the Scotty looks good today. Now that his putter is working, the bunkers are eating his long game.

I know mental problems (Divorce, children, etc.) have to be extremely hard to deal with but this guy is all over the place.

I know mental problems (Divorce, children, etc.) have to be extremely hard to deal with but this guy is all over the place.

I'm sure the method will be back again sometime, and then the marketing blitz will begin again. I'm sure Nike's hoping he wins with it sometime.

I honestly don't think that the method will be back in the bag any time soon.

Back