British Open Championship [Spoilers]

15-20 mins of light left and the final group playing the 11th. Looks like a later start tomorrow which will only help the leaders with less near-challengers getting out in the calm of the morning.

Little mention for Darren Clarke today, one of the few who are under par with a later start. Holing from 100+ feet helps though. O'Hair also going well at -5. Quite how they've done it is beyond me, some of the putts out there today were almost impossible to get to 5 feet away let alone stone dead.

Andrew Magee did it a few years ago.

Man. NO ONE under par after the delay. There's weather determining an outcome for you. Anyone heard if the earlier starters are going to get the same break tomorrow?

Dude...tide is the key. It's out in the morning but when it comes in the during the day the wind whips up. Got it now?

It's only been doing this for 150 years.

play is done for today after this hole. dang. long day of golf tomorrow!

edit: that is really cool of tom watson standing there waving, and listening to the crowd cheer.

Awesome scene at the bridge on 18.

Dude...tide is the key. It's out in the morning but when it comes in the during the day the wind whips up. Got it now?

Thanks for the smart comment. not all of us have lived golf all or lives. First time ive watched an open at St. Andrews.

wow so close to holing that! tom watson is one nice guy. if more people acted like him then the golf world would be perfect!

So I went to bed super early yesterday. Woke up round 11 pm, went to go see a midnight showing of Christohpher nolans' new movie Inception (amazing but thats for another post) then stayed up all night to watch golf coverage. Man this is a lot of golf. I was thinking, man the annoucers just pulled a 13 hour live television work day. AND they got to come back tomorrow and do it all over again. I did notice the main guy (mike tirico?) was absent for a good 1 hour a little while a go. Dinner break? Anyways just wanted to point out what a treat it is to get 12+ hours of golf coverage and how much more work ABC/ESPN must be working.

Not always, tide times change throughout the year

tide times

So I went to bed super early yesterday. Woke up round 11 pm, went to go see a midnight showing of Christohpher nolans' new movie Inception (amazing but thats for another post) then stayed up all night to watch golf coverage. Man this is a lot of golf. I was thinking, man the annoucers just pulled a 13 hour live television work day. AND they got to come back tomorrow and do it all over again. I did notice the main guy (mike tirico?) was absent for a good 1 hour a little while a go. Dinner break? Anyways just wanted to point out what a treat it is to get 12+ hours of golf coverage and how much more work ABC/ESPN must be working.

Yah they have been really good with the coverage IMO.

Yah they have been really good with the coverage IMO.

The BBC in the UK do some great coverage also, live from 9am till 8pm with no commercials,although thier commentators are regularly rotated keeping them fresh I guess.
Forcast for tom is sun but with a stiff breeze again,I think Casey or Jiminez may be in with a shout as both good wind players,and an outside bet on Darren Clarke.

Are people forgetting just how bad he was with his last putter the last few tournaments.

Thats exactly what I was thinking. You can't blame all of the bad putts today on the putter, the wind was wreaking havoc on most everyones putting. His pace looks dead on so far and thats what he was hoping for, no putter out there is going to make you read it right however.

beautiful day today....scores should be interesting

why does Luke Donald dress so poorly?

just saw Daly's pants....ok I'm awake now

They just showed Daly highlights of the '95 Open. You can see how much he thought he won and was visibly disappointed when Rocca's chip went in to force the playoff. It really shows the difference in character when you see the video of Mediate watching Tiger make the putt on the last hole to force the U.S. Open playoff. Most of the time you never see a pro golfer openly be rooting against the success of a fellow competitor. You know deep down they don't want it to happen, but are gracious if it does. Daly was not gracious about it. Mediate was like, "I knew he'd make it" while Daly is the complete opposite.

But there is also a HUGE difference between the players needing to make clutch shots. Tiger with a putt, or whoever with a chip shot? Theres a big difference there. Everyone wouldve thought they won in that situation. But your opinions on the hope/reaction i can completely agree with.
They just showed Daly highlights of the '95 Open. You can see how much he thought he won and was visibly disappointed when Rocca's chip went in to force the playoff. It really shows the difference in character when you see the video of Mediate watching Tiger make the putt on the last hole to force the U.S. Open playoff. Most of the time you never see a pro golfer openly be rooting against the success of a fellow competitor. You know deep down they don't want it to happen, but are gracious if it does. Daly was not gracious about it. Mediate was like, "I knew he'd make it" while Daly is the complete opposite.

What a difference between the ESPN coverage and the International coverage on ESPN3.com (streaming). I've been watching them using picture-in-picture and the International coverage is showing about 5 shots for every one shown on ESPN's main feed. Plus, they are showing a ton more players, not just Mickelson and Daly.

What a difference between the ESPN coverage and the International coverage on ESPN3.com (streaming). I've been watching them using picture-in-picture and the International coverage is showing about 5 shots for every one shown on ESPN's main feed. Plus, they are showing a ton more players, not just Mickelson and Daly.

I have seen Poulter, Rock, and many more. Not just those two. Now they are showing Marcel Siem. I am actually enjoying the coverage quite a bit right now.

At the 2008 US Open there was a feeling of inevitablilty that Tiger was going to sink it. Lets not forget that Rocco is a class act, I'm sure he would have gone crazy if Tiger missed that putt. You would have seen a lot more emotion than you did Oglivy when he won at Winged Foot. I think if you want to look at a man who had dealt with people holing out to beat him you should look at Norman. Mize at the Masters and Tway(out of a bunker) at the US Open. I don't think Daly was all that bad in that clip, he thought he had it wrapped up and Rocca made a great shot. I think it showed some good mental toughness that he was able to go out and win it after that. He could have easily pulled a Kenny Perry after he folded to Mark Brooks in the same situation.

I have seen Poulter, Rock, and many more. Not just those two. Now they are showing Marcel Siem. I am actually enjoying the coverage quite a bit right now.

I was exaggerating for sure, but the regular coverage is definitely focusing more on popular names and adding tons of filler. I prefer watching the live golf to a montage of Daly's career.

Back