Tour Scoring; Prefer High or Low?

BirthGolfDeath

Reaction score
Handicap
I'm curious to other golfers preferences to scoring totals on the pro tours. Do you prefer to see -26 win a tournament like this weekend's John Deere Classic or do you prefer a score closer to even like the U.S. Open or other majors?

If you prefer the latter, would you want to see all courses set up comparable to major conditions to prevent low scores?

I myself prefer scores closer to even. I don't want to sit and watch a tour player destroy a tour course as if it were a local city course. I want to see players grind and work for par. I love the U.S. Open and other majors where scores are right around even or sometimes over par. I wish the tours would set up all tournaments close to or right there with major conditions.

Thanks! I look forward to your insight.

Moved to Golf on Tour.

I prefer par or above. I like to see them squirm and struggle and how it plays with their heads. I like the tension. A low scoring tourney can be fun, but I don't like it to be the norm. The harder the conditions the more the cream rises to the top and the better you have to play. You can get away with things when the setup is easier, get sloppy. No margin for error on a tougher setup and you truly earn those birdies instead of just getting away with some.

I prefer a low scoring football game for the same reason. Give me a hard hitting, brutal 6-3 defensive battle over a 45-42 shootout any day.

I find tournaments where the players shoot 20 under boring. That's why I enjoy the US Open so much. It's not bomb and gouge. It calls for every club and every shot in the player's bag...and some real course management. It is golf in it's totality, not just one or two facets of the game.

I like seeing them struggle every once in a while, but I think it's perfect the way they have it now (with only a couple tourneys that way).
If they started making them all that tough, it would certainly start to lose its luster.

I like seeing them struggle every once in a while, but I think it's perfect the way they have it now (with only a couple tourneys that way).
If they started making them all that tough, it would certainly start to lose its luster.

Agreed.

I prefer both (kind of)... I love to see a tournament when most of the field is hovering around par, and there are 3-4 that are busting through and hitting 7-9 under... That shows the course itself is set up perfectly, but a few players were able to figure it out and have great days at the same time...

I like it end up at or around par. I like to see good scoring runs but the birdie fests get a bit boring to me, especially when all TV ever shows is putting. I like to see guys have to get up and down or out of tricky lies.

U.S. Open style for every weekend! The game should be hard for them like it is for us (or at least me :D).

I like to see the pros be able to attack a course and be able to show us why they are so much better than we are. I don't like seeing them have to play safe or defensive all the time.

I think the British Open is pretty good. Decent scores are to be had if you do your part. Players can be aggressive, but they have to manage the wind. Not at all like the US Open, where they were all playing the par 3's the same, and a few other holes were almost impossible to play well.

I prefer a set-up that encourages a score around par but I do think that should only be for the majors...it's part of what makes them majors!

I prefer a set-up that encourages a score around par but I do think that should only be for the majors...it's part of what makes them majors!

I agree. The majors, IMHO, should be much harder. It seem's that most of the courses are set up about right, however a few each year turn out very easy and many time's those same courses could be real bears with windy or dry/wet conditions.

I enjoy it when the course rises up and challanges and the scores are par or higher. One of the reasons I like the Open Championship. A perfect example is what happend to Rory from round 1 to round 2. They are professionals, let them be challanged.

Back