Glove Testing Round #1

And yet again THP is cause for me to sit and wait next to the mailbox

Just received my 2 gloves!

Just received my 2 gloves!

Gloves are all packaged up and will go out in todays mail.

Got mine today!

To provide perspective for the upcoming reviews, here is a little bit about my game. I am about a 10 handicap. I will shoot anywhere from a 77 - 92, mostly dependent about how I get off the day that day. My driver goes about 260, 7 iron about 165. My chipping and putting is solid. I would say my tee game is a 15 handicap, iron game 13 handicap, chipping and putting 7 handicap. I get to play a couple of times a month, and hit the range with my children a few times/month. I have had my swing speed tested many times. My driver SS is about 106, 6 iron about 91. My SS drops considerably (10 MPH) without a glove - so gloves are an important component of my equipment.

Onto the gloves...

The first glove is a FootJoy Spider2 glove. The main feature of this glove is that the fingers and palm are made with little indents (for lack of a better term) so that the glove grabs the grip for better control. I live in FL, and due to the weather I need the control, so I am hoping this works. I had used this glove a few years back, but stopped due to its being a little too thick feeling for me. However, upon first try, these feel a little thinner than they used to be and might work out OK. I'm looking forward to trying and seeing if there is a difference from what I remember of the original Spider glove.

4800081160_c8be909065.jpg

The second glove I received is a TaylorMade Tour Preferred. This glove is a classic Cabretta glove - very thin, and with a clean look. According to the box, the tanning process should deliver enhanced durability, stain resistance, and superior grip in wet and dry conditions. I will definitely test the superior grip claim against the Spider2. This glove is about 1/2 size smaller than the Spider2. It is not too small for me to wear, but if I were to purchase in the future I would consider an XL Cadet.

4800081182_5a2e8cc561.jpg

I am playing on Sunday and will use both gloves. I will report later in the afternoon.

Last edited:
Good stuff DD. Enjoy the gloves. The Spidr2 is a little thicker than your normal cabretta glove but the grip is great on it. It's my personal preference. Can't wait to hear your thoughts.

awesome stuff ddelise! can't wait to hear your thoughts on the performance and whatnot. that TM glove is really good looking. i love the classic look.

thanks ddelise good stuff so far cant wait ot hear the full review!

just had a package from THP show up with two different golf gloves in it. I will add pictures and initial thoughts momentarily

Here some pictures of the gloves I received today from THP.

eab21c57.jpg

TaylorMade Targa Tour
a5814d39.jpg

5da4284f.jpg

Bridgestone eglove
90d32447.jpg

e23834c7.jpg

8d5a2236.jpg

Initial thoughts....The Taylormade has tiny holes in the palm of the glove that should give some ventilation. Looks like it will be a great glove for those hot/humid days. The Bridgestone glove feels very soft when I grip the club with it. I expect to get out this afternoon, I will probably test the Taylormade because it is a hot one out there today.

Got mine today!

To provide perspective for the upcoming reviews, here is a little bit about my game. I am about a 10 handicap. I will shoot anywhere from a 77 - 92, mostly dependent about how I get off the day that day. My driver goes about 260, 7 iron about 165. My chipping and putting is solid. I would say my tee game is a 15 handicap, iron game 13 handicap, chipping and putting 7 handicap. I get to play a couple of times a month, and hit the range with my children a few times/month. I have had my swing speed tested many times. My driver SS is about 106, 6 iron about 91. My SS drops considerably (10 MPH) without a glove - so gloves are an important component of my equipment.

Onto the gloves...

The first glove is a FootJoy Spider2 glove. The main feature of this glove is that the fingers and palm are made with little indents (for lack of a better term) so that the glove grabs the grip for better control. I live in FL, and due to the weather I need the control, so I am hoping this works. I had used this glove a few years back, but stopped due to its being a little too thick feeling for me. However, upon first try, these feel a little thinner than they used to be and might work out OK. I'm looking forward to trying and seeing if there is a difference from what I remember of the original Spider glove.

4800081160_c8be909065.jpg

The second glove I received is a TaylorMade Tour Preferred. This glove is a classic Cabretta glove - very thin, and with a clean look. According to the box, the tanning process should deliver enhanced durability, stain resistance, and superior grip in wet and dry conditions. I will definitely test the superior grip claim against the Spider2. This glove is about 1/2 size smaller than the Spider2. It is not too small for me to wear, but if I were to purchase in the future I would consider an XL Cadet.

4800081182_5a2e8cc561.jpg

I am playing on Sunday and will use both gloves. I will report later in the afternoon.

I'm looking forward to your review on the Spider. It's also good to know this glove is Spank approved.

Just received my two gloves in the mail! Two ladies Bionic gloves that I'm putting the bag right now and heading out to the range. I took some pre play picts that I'll post later with some post play info for a first impression write up.

Still no gloves. :( Sniff, sniff. Maybe Monday. Chicago mail can be kinda spotty. Sigh.

Kim

Initial thoughts....The Taylormade has tiny holes in the palm of the glove that should give some ventilation. Looks like it will be a great glove for those hot/humid days. The Bridgestone glove feels very soft when I grip the club with it. I expect to get out this afternoon, I will probably test the Taylormade because it is a hot one out there today.

The Targa Tour is the best glove I have used for humid weather. Can't wait to hear everyone's feedback on their gloves.

Looking forward to the reviews... I hate choosing a glove, In the store, they all feel the same to me, and I have no clue what to look for in a good glove...

Got back from my round today to find a package from THP waiting on me! The two gloves I recieved for review are the Footjoy SofJoy, and the Footjoy Pure Touch Limited. Both gloves are sized Large Reg. and fit very nicely with the Pure Touch being slightly more snug. The SofJoy has a nifty ballmarker that is affixed with a magnet on top of the velcro closure. It is thin and easily accessible making it very usable in my opinion. The sofJoy also has ventilation on the palm side off the glove which I will report if it breathes a bit better.

Glovereview004.jpg

Glovereview005.jpg

Glovereview010.jpg

Glovereview011.jpg

Glovereview009.jpg

Glovereview006.jpg

Glovereview012.jpg

Glovereview007.jpg

Glovereview013.jpg

I got my gloves today! Some info about my game. My handicap is 13.1. I shoot anywhere from 80 to Low 90's. My Drive is about 205 and my 7 iron goes about 120-125. Anyway on the gloves.
The 2 gloves I got were the Taylormade Stratus and the Mizuno Retroflex. The Retroflex fits me perfectly and the Taylormade is a little big but it will defiantly work. These both look great and I can't wait to try them!
105_0332-1.jpg

The Taylormade feels really good and it has little holes all over the glove for cooling and a better grip. Its a mens large and I where a FJ weathersoft and its large is perfect so it is a little bigger.
105_0334.jpg

The other glove is the Mizuno. This glove feels awesome. It only has holes on the backside of the glove and this is a Mens ML and it fits perfect.
105_0335.jpg

Thanks again for THP, Taylormade, and Mizuno for letting me try out these gloves. I will be playing Monday and one more time in the week to test my gloves. I am leaving for Hilton Head on Tuesday and I won't be back until Saturday so I will try to get a review up Monday night and I will write an update on Saturday night after I get back.

i just got the box at my house however my camera is dead as soon as i pick up new batteries i will post some pics

Good stuff so far everyone, thanks for the great pics and info. I've never tried the Mizuno's above and really interested to hear more. The Stay soft's are generally where I go most of the time.

Mailday! After I got home from shopping for some new stuff for the outing coming up I had a pleasant surprise!

FJ StaSoft and a Srixon Hi Brid

28550064.jpg

e051fdd7.jpg

6c68324c.jpg

FJ StaSoft Initial Impressions:
Looks:
Elegant and classic. I like the simplicity of the glove and it isn't very busy. Holes on all the fingers (front and back) and the stitching is pretty prevelant. The white color is somewhat muted which is nice (hopefully wont attract a ton of grime).

Feel:
Initially the glove is very soft. Feels very light too. I can't wait to test this in the heat as there is a lot of ventilation on the glove on top of the light feeling. The glove is not stiff at all and I don't forsee a breaking in period. The glove really fit to form on my hand when I first put it on. Was very easy going when I was moving my hand around and really felt more like a second skin than glove. I like the construction around the knuckles with the stretch fabric.

Srixon Initial Impressions:
Looks:
I loved the color scheme. Black, white and dark red. Not typical of what you would normally see. Very simple and basically is just on one area of the glove. A brighter white on the front of the glove (facing you) and a little more muted on the palm side. The stretch fabric is on the knockes as well as the fingers. The vent holes are on the bottom part of the glove fingers as well as the back of the hand. ANother interesting piece is the palm side of the glove. Instead of just the normal cabretta leather, its textured. Another first for me! Reminds me of a recievers glove (not the sticky leather).

I also have to mention the packaging. One thing I found really cool was there were instructions for care and how to put the glove on. Not ground breaking but was pretty cool.

Feel:
The glove felt pretty substantial but nothing that is bad. In fact I love how it feels. The glove is designed for durability and grip. Also one of the softer gloves I have tried on. For me, because its more substatial the gloves feels very flexible. This glove doesnt resist movement. While you feel the glove you don't feel the normal restrictions. I'm going to be curious how it reacts in the heat. The ventilation on the back of the hand will be different and I'm hoping it leads to less hand heat!

I will be updating my thoughts after each practice session and will be taking some pictures. I practice about 3-4 times a week and play no less than 1 round a week. I will do the same amount of practice and golf for each glove. Thanks for reading!!!!!

Back