Suggestions appreciated on new/Used Irons. Thx

Great update. Sounds like you had a great day out, and an exciting decision to be made!!

Just got in from GS. The manager and sales associate wee great!
Hit a whole bunch of stuff, did the mizuno shaft test thing as well.
Ended up going with Machspeeds. It was a close call between these and X-24's.
Both were giving me comporable perfomance, the deciding factor was $200
gift card I got buying the Nike's. And it's a GS Gift card not just for Nike stuff.
So gonna have another purchase soon.

I ended up paying $90 out of pocket at the store after trade in and everything else. Well, plus the purchase of the other set. Really happy and excited. Gonna hit the range soon. Damn I'm tired though lol

And just when I thought I was done. Just got a message from GS.
it seems I won a Nike driver of my choice. After winning the store's
"guess your drive" contest my name was put in for a National drawing and seems like
I won. Gonna wait till I confirm 100% but pretty stoked. Gonna need suggestions.

Thinking of trying out the victory red drivers in store and I if I don't like it
keeping the new one new and trade it in. Wife is happy and upset. More golf talk haha

Tommy Armour 845
Titleist DCI
Taylormade Rac
First Hybrid Created
First to mill grooves into wedges
First to make consumer driver interchangeable

The list goes on and on. We have quite a few interviews with him on the site. Both radio and print. He was also featured in our latest edition of the magazine in a GREAT article.

I had the TM RAC's and I absolutely loved them. Funny thing is that I went from the Armour 845's ....great starter set IMO

"guess your drive" contest my name was put in for a National drawing and seems like
I won. Gonna wait till I confirm 100% but pretty stoked. Gonna need suggestions.

Thinking of trying out the victory red drivers in store and I if I don't like it
keeping the new one new and trade it in. Wife is happy and upset. More golf talk haha

Congrats on the new sticks and the bonus driver! Post pics when you get them :D

congrats!

Congrats on the new sticks, the Machspeeds are solid clubs!

Grats Cluber!

Thinking of trying out the victory red drivers in store and I if I don't like it keeping the new one new and trade it in.
Could also go with a Machspeed to compliment the irons. :laugh:

machspeedsole.jpg

Grats Cluber!

Could also go with a Machspeed to compliment the irons. :laugh:

machspeedsole.jpg

Never was a fan of the square drivers. But ill have to give that one a try. Thanks a lot everyone.
Just got the email. It is real, just have to set it up. Should have a few days to try out different drivers at te store. and return the one I just bought before the 10 days is up.
I will lose 10% on that one, but that's ok.

For the money, it is going to be hard to find a high technology forgiving set that can compete with the Nickent 4DX irons. Since the company went under last year, you can pick up the set for a couple of hundred bucks. They were made by the same club maker that made some of the best sets in the history of irons. People on here have raved about them.

Have you or anyone else tried the 2+ Nickent 4DX IW and is it a viable replacement for the 3-wood?

It has a shorter shaft, so I dont think it is really a distance replacement for me. But it is still very solid and very long.

I got the IW #1 for $45 shipped off Ebay, so I guess I'll see how that plays. I may go Driver, IW 1, 2, 3, 4 if it does play long enough then go 5-SW. The Nickent's only being $50 a piece does help a lot price wise, lol. 2 Nickents for the price of the usual Wood I was looking at.

Just tried some of the Nike drivers. All pretty good clubs, I must say the
VR STR8-FIT was pretty damn awesome. Still wasn't swinging all that fast and ok hits I was getting 280ish and in play, mishits were 250-265 range
gonna go with that club. 9.5* and stiff.

So next thing will be some woods and hybrids possibly.
I never was that good with them but time to start trying to hit them.

Once again thanks for all the info everyone.

So I did a mulligan on my Irons this last weekend. Tried the Machspeeds most of last week and just wasn't feeling it. Felt like i had made a mistake. I know I wanted something forgiving compared to my old 704.cb's, but as soon as I started playing the Mach's i remembered why I never had GI clubs before. I am not a great player. Hell I am not an OK player lol. But I do need something with more feel.

I went to another GS and returned the Nike's. Got lucky and got full refund back. This GS is better suited for fitting as well. Had a very helpful older fellow give me a hand. He was so thorough, he wouldn't finish my fitting until I made enough consistent swings on everything. We went through soooo much Lie angle tape lol.

I ended up ordering a custom set of Mizuno MX-300's with KBS tour stiff shafts. Also got multi compound midsize grips. and went 2* up and standard length. These felt closer to my 704's with more forgiveness. And as a bonus I got to keep my $200 gift card I got from buying the Nike's. Don't ask me how I got all of this. I don't know myself lol.

Now I just have to wait for them to get shipped to the store. I'm still debating what else to get. The free Nike Driver is on the way as well. Wedges...hmm I still like my old Vokey chrome 200 series. Still in good shape. I have a TM Rescue mid Tp #2 Hybrid that is still in great shape and that i like. Not a wood player. Maybe a #3 hybrid since I have no 3 Iron. My Scotty Putter is butter so not changing that. Decisions decisions. hehe

Thanks once again all.

wow heck of a deal! glad you got the full refund and some new clubs! pictures when they get here!

and about the 3w(most everyone will know what i will say next lol) give the taylormade superfast a try. i have had one 3w in my short golfing career (been playing about 3 years now, im 20, so take my info as you want) but i hated 3 woods, i could not hit them off the deck, tee, anywhere. then all this hype came out about the superfast so i decided to grab one and it was the best decision ever. this thing is a very good club, i honestly dont know if i will keep my driver in the bag anymore unless i get it fixed. the superfast is long and straight, by no means do i have a good "golf swing" but it is a very good club. i really suggest you try one out at the store and look at the results on the monitor. just my 2 cents though. goodluck man!

here is some shots of the free Nike driver I won from Golfsmith. Just received it today. Pics of the New Irons coming next. As well as the new Cg14 54 and 58 degree wedges and Mizuno mx-700 17 degree hybrid I just picked up.

ok, Here are a few more shots. I don't have the best camera in the world. So bear with the photos. Thanks.

Oops no shots of the wedges and Hybrid. sorry

Nice new sticks all round! Congrats. Look forward to hearing the feedback from the first few hits.

Quick update on the new sticks. I have only been able to play 3 nine hole rounds. have shot in the low 40's. Pretty happy considering the long lay off.
The irons and wedges are great. love them. Now about the driver. I must say I love this club. I haven't hit it that well on the face yet but it still gives me good distance and accuracy. I always had a problem hitting the ball high up on the face. So much so I always had to tee up the ball kinda low. For some reason, I am now hitting the ball low on the face. I have had to barely stick the tee in the ground to raise the impact point. My tees are the 2 3/4 tall ones. Even so I am getting 250 to 265 fairly consistent out the driver.
And pretty straight. i am not gonna mess with anything, Just gonna pick up longer tees is all.
I must say i have caught the golf bug once again.

Back