Go Hard or Go Low?

You should play the tee box that is appropriate for the level your game is at. Theres nothing worse that a hack who plays the blue or black tees.
Exactly. But on one course I do play the back tees because they are less than 6,000 yards and I can shoot low 90s high 80s. The next tees up are on average 10 yards closer.

I actually think you should be able to play whatever tee box you want as long as you don't slow down the pace of play.
A lot of people think that way. But look how long it takes to play a round on a weekend. You may be keeping up, but you're keeping up with a bunch of people playing the wrong tees. It's like the only time you can play a round in 4 hours or less is if your tee time is before 8:00.

This is hilarious that you mention this because I just had this conversation with my Saturday 12 man group. We were all standing on the first tee waiting to tee off and here comes a foursome over the turn. Like alot of courses the 1 and 10 tee boxes are relatively close so you can watch people tee off. They all step up to the blue tees (This particular course doesn't have championship gold, blue is the furthest back) and one by one proceed to hit their drives into the trees. Every single one of them I kid you not. It was hilarity.

Back on point. I play the white tees, I'm not too proud and thats what they are there for.
Happens all the time. I love being behind those groups. And most of the time you're behind those groups even if they are playing the middle tees!

When I first started playing, I played exclusively from the white tees until I was able to break 90. After that, I started to challenge myself and play from the blues. Maybe I should have waited until I broke 80, but it was definitely a slightly different game than what I was used to playing. Now, I just play whatever tee box my playing partners are playing as long as I can physically reach all the Par 4s in two. It just makes it easier to all play from the same tee box, rather than have to wait at two different tee boxes.

I think the biggest reason people play from the wrong tees is they believe it's too "girly" if they play up a tee box. And men play from the back tees. The best example was when I played a course where red tees were 5,700, white tees were 6,600 and blue tees were 6,900. The whites are definitely pushing the physical limits of some golfers and they would be much better off playing from the reds, yet I did not see a single male play from them. I've played courses where white tees were shorter than the reds here.

I like to play a course from 5,700 to 6,300 yards. I like the Par 3's to range between 140 and 160 for the most part, maybe one being in the 170-180 range, I hate Par 3's that you HAVE to take out a wood to have a chance at getting to the green. Usually playing courses in the previously mentioned range accomodates this. If I am on a course that is, as you mentioned, 5,700 from one tee and 6,600 from the next, if you aren't turning it in for handicap, why not mix it up? Do what it takes to get it closer to 6,300 yards. You can usually do that by playing a handful of holes from the closer tees because it is likely there are going to be some that are 50 to 60 yards or more difference.

There's a formula where you take what you hit a club and multiply it by something figure out which tees to use, as a guide. I can't remember the formula! I'm thinking it might be the 5-iron times 36? But it's still just a guide. I think it should be whatever you can use a wide variety of clubs to approach the green and have the opportunity to hit at least some of the greens in regulation.

EDIT: Hawk mentioning slope made me realize I didn't mention it here. I like a course that plays from 118 to 125, give or take either way. We have a course where the mens's regular tees are almost 6,700 yards with a 132 slope and the Senior tees are 6,000 yards with a 123 slope. Jefffann still gets on me about playing those! But this is the course I learned on and a couple years ago I finally broke 100 (twice in a row, a 99 and a 98) from the regular tees - I doubt I had ever shot better than around 110 from those tees before. But it's still a monster for me.

Last edited:
I realized recently that the course I play pretty often is killing my handicap because the slope is rated so low. I can shot in the low 90's and not get any benefit. So, I'm going to start playing slightly tougher courses, which should be a benefit to my game and my handicap. Either way, I'll be staying at a comfortable distance.

Courses have slopes and ratings to rectify this. I can shoot 85 on the toughest course in the world and shoot 65 on the easiest course in the world. Both scores will do the exact same to my handicap.
I realized recently that the course I play pretty often is killing my handicap because the slope is rated so low. I can shot in the low 90's and not get any benefit. So, I'm going to start playing slightly tougher courses, which should be a benefit to my game and my handicap. Either way, I'll be staying at a comfortable distance.

I play different tees all the time, depending on which set of pals I happen to be playing with. I prefer a set of tees that is roughly around 6,600 yards, but I am just as happy to be playing a set of tees at 6,000 yards as I am in playing a set at 7,000 yards. It changes your course strategy, but fun nonetheless.

Courses have slopes and ratings to rectify this. I can shoot 85 on the toughest course in the world and shoot 65 on the easiest course in the world. Both scores will do the exact same to my handicap.

In general this is true, but each player has different weakness/strengths and a slope 127 for me plays different than a slope 127 plays for hawk. To take it one step further, two courses with a slope of 127 could play very different for me. While the USGA sets the difficulty rating it isnt a perfect measure.

Example. I am a longer hitter than most 16-20 handicaps, so most courses that are "hard" do to their length don't bother me. I still have <7i into most par 4's. As of late I have been struggling a lot with a pull hook (not sure why, working on the fix) so a course with a lot of trouble left is far more dangerous to me than a course where the trouble is right.

Slope/Rating is an estimation but far from a science

Very true.
In general this is true, but each player has different weakness/strengths and a slope 127 for me plays different than a slope 127 plays for hawk. To take it one step further, two courses with a slope of 127 could play very different for me. While the USGA sets the difficulty rating it isnt a perfect measure.

Example. I am a longer hitter than most 16-20 handicaps, so most courses that are "hard" do to their length don't bother me. I still have <7i into most par 4's. As of late I have been struggling a lot with a pull hook (not sure why, working on the fix) so a course with a lot of trouble left is far more dangerous to me than a course where the trouble is right.

Slope/Rating is an estimation but far from a science

I guess what I'm saying is that I want to improve to the point that I can shoot lower 90's on a course with a higher slope rating, thus benefitting my handicap (and my golf game). I don't see the point in trying to shoot even lower and lower at such an easy course. In the end, I feel I'm at the point to take on a new challenge. I told myself once I broke 100 that I would start playing tougher courses.

You should play the tee box that is appropriate for the level your game is at. Theres nothing worse that a hack who plays the blue or black tees.

I AGREE!!!

A par is a par is a par. No matter what course your on. Playing hard courses wont benefit you if easy ones dont. Am I confused here?

A par is a par is a par. No matter what course your on. Playing hard courses wont benefit you if easy ones dont. Am I confused here?

It depends. For instance, I thought pretty well of myself back in the day when I started to shoot in the 70s at our local muni. The thing I never considered was that the course was flat as heck and one day I played a different course in the hills with my buddies. The lies you got there were all sloped and I was so uncomfortable I barely broke 100. It took several weeks of playing there before I figured it out, but it taught me how to hit shots I would never have learned sticking to the "easy" courses.

I assume you are asking me this question.

If I shoot a 91 on the course I play most, my handicap differential will be 36.4 because it is rated so low in slope. In other words, I am not gaining anything (in terms of my handicap) by going that low there. I personally think it's rated a bit low, but that's not my call.

That being said, it is a great place to learn and I've improved playing there. At this point, I need to play courses that force me to take more care on my shots (avoid hazards, etc), are longer, and that have tougher greens to be become a better player.

A lot of interesting opinions and I think people agree that everyone should play the appropriate tee box. But what does the "appropriate" really mean? Is it that you should be able to break 100/90/80? in order to play that tee box? Or is it based on the distance? Or do you judge it based on rating/slope?

For me, I take a look at the distance first and then look at the rating/slope. Then, if I played the course before and could not break 100, I would definitely move up a tee box.

I personally wish that I could break 80 or even shoot par on a specific tee box before I decide to move back, but based on my amount of practice, that is not possible. As I've said, my scores only differ about 2-5 strokes between most white and blue tee boxes, so where I play, the results are pretty much the same.

A lot of interesting opinions and I think people agree that everyone should play the appropriate tee box. But what does the "appropriate" really mean? Is it that you should be able to break 100/90/80? in order to play that tee box? Or is it based on the distance? Or do you judge it based on rating/slope?

For me, I take a look at the distance first and then look at the rating/slope. Then, if I played the course before and could not break 100, I would definitely move up a tee box.

I personally wish that I could break 80 or even shoot par on a specific tee box before I decide to move back, but based on my amount of practice, that is not possible. As I've said, my scores only differ about 2-5 strokes between most white and blue tee boxes, so where I play, the results are pretty much the same.

I think you have to take all that into effect but the one thing you forget to mention is ego. Most hacks out there that I see never play the right tee box because of that one thing. Yeah, they know all the numbers but yet they still play the back tees or even the mid tees when they really shouldn't.

I think you have to take all that into effect but the one thing you forget to mention is ego. Most hacks out there that I see never play the right tee box because of that one thing. Yeah, they know all the numbers but yet they still play the back tees or even the mid tees when they really shouldn't.

Yes that ego can be a big thing. As one poster mentioned, when four guys can't get out of the tee box, that's just ridiculous. I think what happens more often than not, since golfers are not created equal. The low handicapper in the foursome will pick the appropriate tee box for himself and instead of playing further up, the other golfers join him. And of course, they all are able to break 100/90 if you don't take into account the mulligans, out of bounds penalties, and missed putts.

Yes that ego can be a big thing. As one poster mentioned, when four guys can't get out of the tee box, that's just ridiculous. I think what happens more often than not, since golfers are not created equal. The low handicapper in the foursome will pick the appropriate tee box for himself and instead of playing further up, the other golfers join him. And of course, they all are able to break 100/90 if you don't take into account the mulligans, out of bounds penalties, and missed putts.

I'm not scared to tell others what tees I am playing from. I don't think it's a big deal at all. If the people I'm playing with want to play back, I just say that I'm playing up. I've never had an issue with anybody. Sometimes they say they'll join me and sometimes we play different tees. It shouldn't be a big deal. For example, if I play with a female, I don't expect her to play from my tees. It can mess up honors a bit, but that doesn't really matter to me.

interesting topic. i usually play one up from the tips (usually around 6400-6800 yards). i just have done that for a while now and it's more of habit than anything. i have played from further up tees in captains choice tournaments and honestly find it a bit tougher. that distance usually brings in more hazards and narrower parts of fwys for me.

Thats where I play from as well. Any closer and like you said other things come into play.

I usually play from the middle tees even though I (usually) have the length for the back tees (but not championship tees on courses with 4 or more tees). If it's a new course, I always check the scorecard or layout and base my tee choice based on par 3's length. I feel if I have to hit a 3-wood to reach the green of a par 3...I need to move up a tee.

To answer one of the original poster's questions: if I shot a career low playing from a front tee, I would not feel cheated. Someone said earlier (or maybe I'm paraphrasing in my head) that each tee brings different challenges and thought processes that a golfer must bring to their game. At the end of the day, you still have to get the ball in the hole.

it depends where I'm at.
Sometimes I play the backs but usually I play the tees just in front of the backs.
I've played the seniors but it wasn't an advantage according to my score so if I want to play shorter I go to a shorter course.

To answer one of the original poster's questions: if I shot a career low playing from a front tee, I would not feel cheated. Someone said earlier (or maybe I'm paraphrasing in my head) that each tee brings different challenges and thought processes that a golfer must bring to their game. At the end of the day, you still have to get the ball in the hole.
When you play a terrible round from a front tee you have a different feeling than if you had that round from the backs.For me that feeling is shame.

For me it depends... When I am a single, I will often just play from where ever the group I am joining plays from. When I am with my buddies, it depends on how busy the course is. If it is backed up, we will play from the whites. But if we are at nice course that is not busy, we will often play from the tips, because a lot of those courses have nice elevated tees for tips and it is just a lot of fun to launch it from there...

I play with two different groups each week. One is with a bunch of single digit hand players and the other is with a bunch of guys from my work who shoot in the 90's. I used to always play from the blues (every course here has Champ. BLue. White. Red. Senior/child) with an avg distance of around 6500-6700. But the thing was the single hdcp. played the champs and the work guys played the whites. I felt my choice to stick to my tees was slightly slowing down the pace of both groups. Plus here in vegas, most courses have 20 yards of desert, rocks , cactus, snakes between each tee so you also lose those moments to talk and joke with your buddies while waiting to hit.
So on weds I get to act like a pro throwing wedges at the pin all day.
Then on thurs I'm just trying to hit fairway's and greens.

Red/ladies/front tees all the way :) My goal is just to clear the juniors :D

The tees I play will depend on the course, I'll generally take a look at the scorecard and go from there. Usually wind up playing middle tees, ~6200-6400.

I like to rotate teeboxes. One round ill play the 'ladies' tees, the next ill play the tips. and flip flop around between the mens and seniors too. Because of our hole layouts and designs, its a completely different game from all 4 tees. Par 3s range from 130 to 230. The driving of the ball is way harder off of the 'ladies' tees. And it helps me place my way around the golf course. Throw down a money game with friends from the most forward tees you can find, and play to a number all day. I can almost promise your buddies will take driver on every hole, while you sit back and collect.
this is how my course is also... its 7200 from the tips and 4800 from the front... there are 5 teeboxes...
and playing a diff teebox makes it seem as though they were completely diff courses...
i usually play from wherever anyone wants to play... ive played the ladies tees when paired up with the grannies... played the tips with the big boys...
but i am most comfortable at 6200-6500 on most courses other than my home course... on some courses thats the tips... others its the middle... heck theres a course here thats 5900 from the tips... screw playing the middle...

my thing is... you have to factor in distance + handicap + slope/rating
my brother and my cousin are of similar distance(longballers)... my other brother an i are about the same... but just because my cousin can hit his 60° 140 doesnt mean he's breaking a hundred that day from the fronts... so we end up playing either one up from the tips or the middles...

ive seen guys that have no business playing the tips giving it a try because of ego... and its brutal following these guys... then i have friends that need to play on the teebox 2 holes back just to make it frikken fair... lolz... hate those guys

I actually think you should be able to play whatever tee box you want as long as you don't slow down the pace of play.

As a partime course ranger I would agree, to a point. If a player is double digit HC but wants to play the tips, I can almost guarantee the majority of them will lose time looking for balls or playing par 4's like they are par 5's and end up slowing things down. Play to your handicap and have fun.

Back