Bpipe95's Shaft optimizer thread (also includes superfast demo)

bpipe95

The big stick rules!
Reaction score
Handicap
Well last night I managed to wonder into the OEM thread and got caught up in the peer pressure... (at least that's what I am blaming this all on).

To start this off, I picked up a set of Cleavland CG7's this year and I really enjoy the feel of the club the shafts leave a bit to be desired. Now I was "fit" for these, I use that term very loosely due to my fitting consisting of a guy just watching me hit balls. No launch monitor, no measuring, no SS gauge. After this experience I stopped shopping at that store and will be sticking with my local GG. The crew there seems to be a good one and they already know me by name... (that may not be a good thing)

I had gone through the Shaftfit.com program several times but I just could not believe the recommendation it was giving me. No matter how I answered It would give my the Rifle 7.0 for a recommendation. That is one burly ass shaft! As I was telling the guys in the OEM thread this, TC recommended I go spend some time with the Mizuno shaft optimizer.

Today I had the chance to take some swings with the optimizer it is a very very cool tool. As usual the guys at GG were top notch and gladly helped me through the process. I hit a few balls to warm up and then started the process.

I hit 3 balls from a tee and got the following avgs.

SS-97
tempo-4
toe down-5
kick angle-7
release factor-6
The optimizer came up with the following recommendations

Rifle project x 6.5
Dynamic gold x100
KBS x flex

Now I have some serious thinking to do as I defiantly need a different shaft.

I am looking at a nice chunk of change to re-shaft and re-grip my rather new clubs. It would not be to far off from just trading my current irons in on another set. After talking with the guy he made some recommendations for clubs if I wanted to to a complete change.

I hit the following, and I am listing them from my best to worst (for me)
Ping I15- LOVE these things just a great all around feel and forgiving in the right spots.

Adams CB1- I was surprised at how well I hit these, Just not quite at the ping level. But I DID LIKE THEM!

Callaway X forged- these were nice looking but felt almost identical to my old ass Black cats. NOT FOR ME!

So what do you guys think? New shafts or all new clubs. I hate to take a loss trading in my rather new irons, but is putting more money into them worth it? I really do like the feel of the CG7's and they spin the ball great.

Now on to part two of my visit to GG and a later visit to Dicks sporting goods later in the day.

While talking about irons last night, the subject of TM Super fast came up, and I stated how I just don't care for TM clubs. The guys told me I needed to go hit this thing so I did today twice! I liked the club, and the feel but it did not get along with my swing at all! It was very inconsistent with direction, some would slice/fade and some would hook/draw. I am guessing the stock S flex shaft is not up to the challenge of keeping up with my swing.

I must say, when it did go straight it hauled some serious ass, but I could not keep it straight. So again TM stuff did just not like me. Just to be sure of this I went to my local dicks store later tonight and hit the super fast again, and yep it hates me... lol

While in the booth I also hit the Ping i15 3wood it was not quite as long as the superfast, but EVERY ball was almost on the center line. I have two more 3 woods on my short list to try then I will be getting one.

So that was my fun during the day, thanks for reading.

Last edited:
Do you require custom clubs or are you a standard fit?

I am 2* up and have always used standard length.

Sounds like you had a great time. I am thinking of going golfing soon just so I can sneak into town to the pro shop without mom knowing. (Not supposed to drive in Tuscaloosa, :( )

I have not tried anything other than what came stock on my irons, is it that big a differance?

Awesome! i was looking forward to this. to bad the supefast didnt work out for you lol

cant wait to here how everything else turns out!
if your happy with them why trade irons? id hit some 6.5s if you can before you buy a whole new set of them.

Bad suggestion on my part after thinking it through.

I hit a few clubs that had the 6.5's in them today, and WOW what a difference. It just had a wonderful feel and they were dead nuts on target. The stock shafts on the BP's are not nearly as accurate and don't feel as solid as the 6.5's. So I definitely want to change, I am just not sure on what or how much to change.

If I was to get the shafts, does where should I buy them from? Just point me in the right direction!

its up to you on getting new irons. but i get those 6.5's if you liked them that much for sure! i just dont see the need for changing irons if you like your current ones so much now. your call though!

i have no clue where to get them. check out this site it might help, its the company who makes the shafts. http://www.royalprecision.com/royalprecision/#

You could always try to sell your current set. You should get more than you would for a trade.

awesome stuff bpipe, i'm glad you did this. the funny thing is that the PX 6.5's would play almost identically to the Rifle 7.0's (as far as stiffness goes) imo, so it seems as though the shaftfit worked fairly well.

if i were you, i'd reshaft. sounds like you like your clevelends and you and i both know that with the right shaft they'll be even that much better. you can find PX shafts all over ebay for $200 or less i'd think, then i'd take those shafts and your clubs to GG. they'll charge you to pull and instal the new shafts and you'll obviously have to have them gripped, unless you can find a set of shafts on ebay that already have grips on them.......or

you trade in your current sticks to GG and have them order the same clubs, with your specs, and upgrade the shafts, i dare say you'll be out of pocket about the same money, so it really just boils down to you doing some shopping and running the numbers.

thanks for sharing your experiences with us.

Thanks for recommending the shaft optimizer to me. It was an interesting experience.

I hate to share this but I am really considering re-shafting these myself. I just need to do more research.

Unless I find an amazing deal on the Cb's or I15's.

Thanks for recommending the shaft optimizer to me. It was an interesting experience.

I hate to share this but I am really considering re-shafting these myself. I just need to do more research.

Unless I find an amazing deal on the Cb's or I15's.

As others have said, and I now agree with, if you know you like the clubs might as well stick with em. Even if you have to pay a little more you'll know what you have. Even the same models can tend to have different loft/lies so that could figure in also.

Jrod makes a good point that you need to consider. just b/c you're 2* up in the CG7's doesn't mean you will be in another companies irons. you can reshaft yourself but i think you'll need a shaft puller, and you'll want to make sure you have the right "bonding" stuff. it's really not that much to have them pulled and installed, perhaps you could even negotiate a little, that's what i did.

I have been +2 in almost every brand I have tried, I think I am a strange one... lol

TC if you don't mind me asking how much was the labor to get yours re-shafted? If you don't want to post it you can PM me.

Thanks!

i don't care to share. a local guy here charged me $20 per shaft to pull and install, which i didn't think was bad at all, so it cost $140 for that. like i said, you can find those shafts on ebay i'm sure, and you can also find your grips on there too and save some money. it's worth every penny.

I am looking at sites that sell them, they offer the "pureing" I am looking into what exactly it is, did you have that done to yours?

I am looking at sites that sell them, they offer the "pureing" I am looking into what exactly it is, did you have that done to yours?

no, i did not.

I am having a real tough time finding a dealer for these shafts. None on the bay, golfworks lists them as back ordered. I am not sure what to do.

Any help is appreciated.

Last edited:
none on the bay? that's weird. what's the exact ones you need? il look around for you also

So after some reading and debating, I think what I am going to do is re-shaft the CG7's with the x100 TTDG shafts. The shafts will cost about $95 for all of them! All I will have to pay for is the pull and replacing. I do my own grips and already have them on hand.

if I am lucky I could get out of this for sub $300 depending on labor. I can deal with that, maybe in a year or so I will upgrade my irons and get some that already have the project x's from the factory.

Last edited:
Well they are ordered... Along with a steel shaft spine finder.

I am still debating on doing the swap myself and doing a How To thread. What do you guys think?

Well they are ordered... Along with a steel shaft spine finder.

I am still debating on doing the swap myself and doing a How To thread. What do you guys think?

those x100's might even be better for you man. you have very impressive club head speed and those shafts should be ideal. nice snag too, picking them up for under $100, well done. i may just make a suggestion and that would be to pull the shafts yourself but have someone else install the new ones. i just don't think you want to mess around with that, plus if they do it then work can be backed you know? you already have grips and can do that yourself, and i'm assuming that getting the current shafts out isn't that big of a deal, you'll just need to heat up the area where the shaft meets club head to loosen up that epoxy. you'll also need new ferrules so don't forget about those but they are like a dollar a piece.

good luck, i'll enjoy hearing more about all of this. you're ball flight's about to come way down.

I put some DG S300 in my CG7's and man o man you are in for a treat! Congrats!!!!!!!!

those x100's might even be better for you man. you have very impressive club head speed and those shafts should be ideal. nice snag too, picking them up for under $100, well done. i may just make a suggestion and that would be to pull the shafts yourself but have someone else install the new ones. i just don't think you want to mess around with that, plus if they do it then work can be backed you know? you already have grips and can do that yourself, and i'm assuming that getting the current shafts out isn't that big of a deal, you'll just need to heat up the area where the shaft meets club head to loosen up that epoxy. you'll also need new ferrules so don't forget about those but they are like a dollar a piece.

good luck, i'll enjoy hearing more about all of this. you're ball flight's about to come way down.

I have most everything I will need to do the swap @ my shop, minus a few small items like the ferrules. I am going to go talk with the guys @ my local GG tomorrow and find out pricing for the swap. If it is decent I may just have do it. I like life to be easy but I hate paying people for a service that I feel I could do, competently. I mean I build custom rifles this can not be to far off from that! lol

Well more good news! Stopped at GG today and they quoted me $10.00 for each club to trim pull and swap shafts. For that low of a price I would be nuts not to let them do it.

Shafts should be here next week! I am stoked!

Back