Equipment Pondering - W/ OEM Kevin

Status
Not open for further replies.
I concur. Nothing like eating at a buffet then being able to narrow down your picks at the comfort of your own pace. Also, what OEM fails to mention is that if you narrow down quick JB might actually let you put it in play for some on course action.

Very good point! And theres nothing like actual course testing!

or perhaps only buy yourself a 4 wood which would leave you room for another wedge?
OK, after today's round at the Desert Rose in Las Vegas, I am so in need of new fairway woods (3 and 5). While I have an emotional attachment to my MacGregor's (were my husband's clubs fit for him by my FIL, who was a club pro, and as both are no longer with us, having them in my bag makes me feel like I have them both "with me" on the course) I'm losing yardage on long Par 4s and all Par 5s because of them. Except for using the 3W to drive long Par 3s and close doglegs to the forward tees, they never leave my bag because they are the wrong club for me. It is time for them to become wall hangers.

I was trying to hold off on purchasing new ones because I wanted to put a whole bunch to the test at the Fall Outing, but I'm getting so angry at myself for messing up perfectly good drives and chips/putts with bad fairway play. Today for example, I would have been on a long Par 4 in two HAD I been able to hit a 155yd fairway to the green. BUT NOOOOO I was on in three because all I could do was hit my 6i 120 yrds and then pitch up onto the green, where I needed two putts making a par opportunity an immediate bogey. Which of course made me mad at myself :angry: and I messed up the next two holes because all I could think about was how crappy my fairway play was (Yes, I know...in my head...)

So, the question is, do I bite the bullet and go ahead an buy now or do I just suck it up, wait 8 weeks and then come home from PGA National knowing exactly what I'm going to get?

If you have a store nearby that has a wide selection to try out, go for a test run. Just because you demo some things doesn't mean you have to buy them. If you don't fall in love with anything you can hold off till the outing.

OOOHHHH, that's a good idea. I have a Golfsmith and a Dick's Sporting Good really close by. Maybe in a few weeks (resting my wrist right now), I will do that and then go to PGA National with a few choices.

or perhaps only buy yourself a 4 wood which would leave you room for another wedge?

Hmmm.... I like your thinking!! I am in the market for another wedge too but it isn't as critical right now as my FWs. Never tried a 4w before. For that matter what is a 4w?

Its a wood thats in between a 3 and 5. Best of both worlds
Hmmm.... I like your thinking!! I am in the market for another wedge too but it isn't as critical right now as my FWs. Never tried a 4w before. For that matter what is a 4w?

I have a good idea every now and then. lol.

Exactly what thainer said....best of both worlds. Put the money you're saving by not buying the other wood and get another wedge for yourself. In fact I bet that's cheaper than the 3 & 5w option

Woods are kinda overrated imo. I wouldnt think anyone needs more than 1 fwy because they arent true accuracy clubs
I have a good idea every now and then. lol.

Exactly what thainer said....best of both worlds. Put the money you're saving by not buying the other wood and get another wedge for yourself. In fact I bet that's cheaper than the 3 & 5w option

Woods are kinda overrated imo. I wouldnt think anyone needs more than 1 fwy because they arent true accuracy clubs

ya so why you are in the trees off the tee with your driver il be in fairway with my superfast 3w :D

more than 1 fwy, as in fwy wood. I have one, I would think no one needs more than 1. I have a fwy wood, and a driver.
ya so why you are in the trees off the tee with your driver il be in fairway with my superfast 3w :D

I'm with ya on that. I wish the SuperFast came in a 17* 4wood model. Hybrids and wedges are where it's at for this guy.

more than 1 fwy, as in fwy wood. I have one, I would think no one needs more than 1. I have a fwy wood, and a driver.

maybe because a 4 or 5 wood would be easier to hit than a 3,4 or 5 iron for people starting out?

Can't really agree with that. You have to look at it from a "to each his own" perspective. I hit my 3 wood about 265-275 and my 5 wood about 240. Both are extremely accurate, much more so that my irons actually (not agreeing with my irons at this particular moment). I actually hit a par 5 in two a week or so ago after teeing off with my 3 wood to the middle of the fairway and then hitting my 5 wood about 230 to the middle/back of the green. Each person has clubs they are more comfortable with compared to others. At this point in time, I'd rather see my 3 or 5 wood in my hand than my 60* wedge.

Can't really agree with that. You have to look at it from a "to each his own" perspective. I hit my 3 wood about 265-275 and my 5 wood about 240. Both are extremely accurate, much more so that my irons actually (not agreeing with my irons at this particular moment). I actually hit a par 5 in two a week or so ago after teeing off with my 3 wood to the middle of the fairway and then hitting my 5 wood about 230 to the middle/back of the green. Each person has clubs they are more comfortable with compared to others. At this point in time, I'd rather see my 3 or 5 wood in my hand than my 60* wedge.

Agreed 10000%. Some hit hybrids and long irons well and others prefer FW woods. It really depends on what type of swing you have and which one offers you optimum ability in launch numbers. Sweepers and diggers are two very different swings that have very different needs.

more than 1 fwy, as in fwy wood. i have one, i would think no one needs more than 1. i have a fwy wood, and a driver.

^^^^^key points in red^^^^^

I agree, I have buddies that hit the ball very short, so they use different woods as a longer hitter would use their irons

i need a new 3 wood more than i need the money in my pocket.................... LOL

Taylor Made Burner SuperFast 3W is beast.

It really is... Also the Dymo Quadkeel can't be forgotten if you're looking for a great Fairway Metal at a great price.
Taylor Made Burner SuperFast 3W is beast.

Yoccos1981 said:
It really is... Also the Dymo Quadkeel can't be forgotten if you're looking for a great Fairway Metal at a great price.

Big time. I loved my 4w dymo2.

I will say though if main use is off fairways the Wilson Staff 2010 Fybrid 3w is an animal.

I will say though if main use is off fairways the Wilson Staff 2010 Fybrid 3w is an animal.

I had a dymo 4 wood in the bag earlier this year, we just didn't click. To replace it I put a 2009 Launcher 17 degree 3 wood in my bag. I LOVE this club, great feel, amazing sound, a the ball jumps off of it. I did hit the Fybrid HS 3 wood at a demo day and I wanted to walk away from the store with it in my bag. It was that good to me.

Ohhhh the WS is amazing! I always try things out at PGA SS when I practice. Just something about that Dymo I cant replace with anything else. I don't get as much distance but for me it just works.

I'm looking at getting the XFT 60* from PGA SS to match the 56* just bought. I bought it like new for $65. Only reason I did, impulse!!!! I'm not sure I use a 60 that much but I keep the lob in my bag now. I also found the 50, 54, 58 setup from Nickent works awesome for gaps but wondering if the 2* will do much to my bag. Im still adjusting to the 50* lol. Can't hit it well consistantly. Ramble, ramble, ramble

I'm so stoked for the Fall Outing....I'm looking forward to having my own little wedge shootout to see what wedges I'll be replacing my Mizzys with.

I'm so stoked for the Fall Outing....I'm looking forward to having my own little wedge shootout to see what wedges I'll be replacing my Mizzys with.

Hmmm.... may be a deal going on as I have the Mizzy 60 on my radar ;-)

I am most interested in trying the Nike Str8 fit drivers and the R9 driver series. As well as spending some QT with the launch monitor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back