Wilson Staff equipment

JR

Reaction score
Handicap
I was wondering what the opinions are on WS wedges, putters, and Ci9 irons. The prices are very accessable, and I love the looks, but how do the perform? Are they comperable to other companiees products?

TW9 wedges are sick. Didnt care for any of their putters (but i have have not tried the 2010 line and have heard great things). I liked the Pi5 irons. Dont know about the Ci9s though

I play WS Pi7 irons and tW9 wedges, I think they are some of the best buy clubs on the market. I have played WS clubs for the last 30 years so not exactly unbiased, I wish they would get it together with their dealers it is getting really hard to find their clubs in a store now days. My favorite wedges of all time were the TW5s but when I changed my irons I needed different loft wedges and had to move to 9s as new TW5s are pretty much nonexistant.

WS makes great equipment. The Ci and Di series of irons have consistently been given good reviews. Same with the wedges and hybrids. Their drivers have not been as popular, but there are people who really like them too. Their main issue seems to be a lack of marketing and the fact that many people associate their name with the cheaper equipment you find in big-box stores. The Wilson Staff line is very different from the Wilson line. Definitely check them out if you have a chance.

We have reviewed slews of WS equipment on the home page. They have been in our shoot outs and fared well.

Aggro,

I loved the new 888 series of putters (did a little review on the 8881). They are great to look at and perform beautifully. They really have a way of keeping the ball on the target line. I almost picked up an additional putter (the 8882) last night but I resisted. Im not in any way unhappy with the 8881 I just wanted it lol. I know some people on here love the Ci9 irons and I have hit them a couple times. Great clubs with tremendous feel for a great price. I played the Ci7's and kept them even when getting new irons. Awesome stuff.

aggro, check out the thread below. i had the chance to go to a demo day a couple of months ago and came away very impressed with the Wilson line. so much so that the Ci9's will be the next irons in the bag! the smooth driver is also very, very good. perhaps the most accurate driver i've hit in a long time. i have no experience with the tw9 wedges, but my man OEM kevin says that they are the real deal. anyway, perhaps you'll find my review of my demo day helpful.

http://www.thehackersparadise.com/forum/showthread.php?11878-Demo-Day-at-Broadmoor-Golf-Links

I put a tw9 wedge in my bag a few weeks ago. I have not regretted it since. I ended up replacing my Cleveland CG12's with a Wilson Tw9 56 and a Taylormade XFT 60. I love the feel of the Wilson. Also around the greens it has been excellent for me. I'm not a "high spin" player around the greens but this club seems to always add some extra bite. These ranked high in OEM's Wedge Test earlier this year(#2).

I was playing with my brother in law yesterday and had a 40 yard blind pitch shot(shouldn't have been in that position but oh well). He was up by the green, I hit the Tw9 and landed it in the middle of green. I knew I hit a good shot, when I got up to the green he asked me "How do you get the ball to spin back like that?" He told me it took 2 hops and spun back a good 6 inches.

Spoiler
TC is also chomping at the bit to put these along with the Ci9's in his bag

haha, chomping at the bit is exactly right ddec!!! i've been in both golf shops in asheville in the past two days getting me some numbers. my demo ci9 should be here today.

Off topic a bit but I'll also tell you that the 2010 Heave-Sole woods, FY, and hybrids are 110% legit and the golf balls are awesome too!

Wilson Staff is THE most under the radar company right now IMHO for sure.

Off topic a bit but I'll also tell you that the 2010 Heave-Sole woods, FY, and hybrids are 110% legit and the golf balls are awesome too!

Wilson Staff is THE most under the radar company right now IMHO for sure.

i agree with you completely jman, but i also don't understand why wilson wants to go down this path. poor old OEM can't even find a wilson retailer where he lives, and those sort of situations can't help a company steal market share. they are definitely legit!!

Yeah if the stuff aint out there someone cant OEM it!!

I know, dunno the rhyme and reason to their methods, but, whatever. I just think the company who has won more than anyone has got one HECK of a product line going and I wish they could be more aggressive in getting it out there. But, as long as they stay on this roll I'll still be a player of their products for sure.

i agree with you completely jman, but i also don't understand why wilson wants to go down this path. poor old OEM can't even find a wilson retailer where he lives, and those sort of situations can't help a company steal market share. they are definitely legit!!

I read some speculation on this exact topic not long ago. The opinion was that Wilson itself is not that concerned about their high-end golf marketing due to their success in so many other categories. Also, they are pretty big in Europe, from what I've read.

I know, dunno the rhyme and reason to their methods, but, whatever. I just think the company who has won more than anyone has got one HECK of a product line going and I wish they could be more aggressive in getting it out there. But, as long as they stay on this roll I'll still be a player of their products for sure.

same here. in fact, i'm highly considering (when i eventually pull the trigger on the Ci9's, i'll go 5-pw) of putting the Tw9 wedges in the bag and the 3 and 4 fybrids in the bag. all wilson, except for the R9 and superfast and putter. heck, i'd put a wilson putter in the bag if they made that 8882 in LH.

I read some speculation on this exact topic not long ago. The opinion was that Wilson itself is not that concerned about their high-end golf marketing due to their success in so many other categories. Also, they are pretty big in Europe, from what I've read.

ah, europe schmeurope! bunch of wingeing, tight pant wearing, colin montgomerie fans!!! j/k guys, you know i'm playing, just trying to throw more fuel on the ryder cup fire!!

same here. in fact, i'm highly considering (when i eventually pull the trigger on the Ci9's, i'll go 5-pw) of putting the Tw9 wedges in the bag and the 3 and 4 fybrids in the bag. all wilson, except for the R9 and superfast and putter. heck, i'd put a wilson putter in the bag if they made that 8882 in LH.

Yep I feel you. I plan on asking the little lady for a set of TW9's for my backups at Christbas and Bday time before the production stop of old grooves and I WILL be playing Ci9's next year at this time. The R9 though, is going nooooooo where lol.

Yep I feel you. I plan on asking the little lady for a set of TW9's for my backups at Christbas and Bday time before the production stop of old grooves and I WILL be playing Ci9's next year at this time. The R9 though, is going nooooooo where lol.

i like your style. although, the smooth is a very good driver. i found it to be incredibly forgiving, incredibly straight, but it just didn't want to go anywhere. it was accurate as hell though. i'd highly recommend it to anyone who struggles with accuracy off the tee.

have you hit the ci9's? i love them. i'm asked all the time what i like so much about it and i'm not really sure what to say other than everything. i love the distance, loved the ball flight, loved the feel, and loved the stepless FST shaft.

My little brother plays the Wilson Staff and loves them. I am not sure which model. He is putting up some impressive numbers. I tried them and was impressed.

All together now - F A N B O Y!!!

Its really hard to find the Wilson Painter hats..... not that'd I'd know. Some other guy who I know has been looking for them.
hehe, we will need to get him a Ricky Barnes T-shirt and one of those painter hats.

I like those painter hats but the only one Ive seen so far is Cobra and well, nuff said.

THE SNAKES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I love those hats. Not the snake ones. Not that there's anything wrong with them. I really like the FW's. They are on clearance at my PGA ss for $40.
I like those painter hats but the only one Ive seen so far is Cobra and well, nuff said.

if you buy the new fg forged irons then you get a free w/s painter's cap with them, and a dozen balls, but other than that, i don't know where you find them.

Back