how do you figure out handicap?!?

MD177

Reaction score
Handicap
GAM: 18.8
alright, the past 5 rounds, I averaged 97... I dunno if that helps but how do you figure out handicap? any help is appreciated...

Thanks... :)

whats the course rating and slope of your course? usually says on the scorecard or if they have website for the course. make sure you get the rating/slope from the tees you play from as all different tees have different ratings. get me the rating and slope and il help you out.

I use www.oobgolf.com

There is a hackers paradise group there you could join (Sorry to steal your thunder AZ, giving another option)

whats the course rating and slope of your course? usually says on the scorecard or if they have website for the course. make sure you get the rating/slope from the tees you play from as all different tees have different ratings. get me the rating and slope and il help you out.
the course I'm going today says course rating: 68.3/123... hope that helps... I'll post later what I score... hopefully, not too embarrasing to post... LoLz...

To me this is one of the biggest issues with people and golf and handicaps. Most really do not understand what a handicap is. The first thing most golfers think is that it is an average of what you are scoring. That is simply not the case. It is a measure of your potential scoring. Grab onto one of the free sites track for a while and then see if you want to get an official handicap somewhere.

You can also look up the actual formula online and figure it yourself. About.com in the golf section has a great explination of it and how to use it. It isn't a magic or complex formula, just math.

If you really want to know how it works here is what the USGA handicap manual says

10-1. Calculation of Handicap Differentials

A Handicap Differential is computed from four elements: adjusted gross score, USGA Course Rating, Slope Rating, and 113 (the Slope Rating of a course of standard difficulty). To determine the Handicap Differential, subtract the USGA Course Rating from the adjusted gross score; multiply the difference by 113; and divide the resulting number by the Slope Rating. Round the final number to the nearest tenth.

Handicap Differential = (Adjusted Gross Score - USGA Course Rating) x 113 / Slope Rating

a. Plus Handicap Differential

When the adjusted gross score is higher than the USGA Course Rating, the Handicap Differential is a positive number. The following is an example for determining a Handicap Differential using an adjusted gross score of 95 made on a course with a USGA Course Rating of 71.5 and a Slope Rating of 125:

Adjusted Gross Score - USGA Course Rating: 95 - 71.5 = 23.5
Difference x Standard Slope Rating: 23.5 x 113 = 2655.5
Result / Slope Rating: 2655.5 / 125 = 21.24
Handicap Differential (rounded): 21.2

So for an 84 on that same course

AGS - Raiting: 84-73.8= 10.2
Difference x Standard Slope Rating: 10.2 x 113 = 1152.6
Result / Slope Rating: 1152.6 / 144
Handicap Differential (rounded): 8.00

you then take your handicap differential and multiply it by .96 which gives you a handicap index of 7.6

So that is how you figure out your handicap index. You also only take your lowest scores in proportion to the number of rounds that you have recorded up to the 20 most recent

5-6 rounds lowest 1 score
7-8 lowest 2
9-10 lowest 3
11-12 lowest 4
13-14 lowest 5
15-16 lowest 6
17 lowest 7
18 lowest 8
19 lowest 9
20 lowest 10

the course I'm going today says course rating: 68.3/123... hope that helps... I'll post later what I score... hopefully, not too embarrasing to post... LoLz...

this would be how you do it, but with just 5 scores and average of 97 it isnt really a true handicap, it takes a few rounds to determine an accurate handicap. But try one of the free sites its easier and will usually be spot on in your handicap..

Gross Score/ course rating= 97(your score)-68.3= 28.7

difference/ standard slope rating 28.7x 113= 3,243.1

result/slope 3,243.1/ 123= 26.3

handicap differential= 26.3

differential/ x .96 = 25.2

handicap= 25.2

thats just a rough estimate.

edit: H2 beat me to it..

Back