Ryder Cup - European Vice Captains named

the_paulo

Euro target practice
Reaction score
Handicap
TMEX 0.5
Monty picks Darren Clarke, Paul McGinley and Thomas Bjorn.

Thoughts on these picks?

I'm surprised Phil Price didn't make the list. Thought Monty would go with 4 to mirror the US picks, and select a local boy. Although he maybe didn't want to look like he's copying Pavin's model with 4 picks.

He's picked 3 guys with big characters, who are popular and respected on the tour. May help with team spirit, especially if things start getting down. A situation which Monty himself may not be best placed to rectify!

Lastly, there's a lot of experience of the Ryder cup there. Maybe most importantly, not always winning experience! Lessons to be shared amongst the team.

i think monty's picks are good, especially the pick of darren clarke. the euros are going to be very, very strong, but there's one thing that i noticed during the last round of the open championship (which happened to be littered with euros), and that's that none of them made a charge and none of them were able to put any pressure on louis. i just didn't see a killer instinct at all, and that gives me hope.

I think those are very strong picks. Especially Clarke and McGinley. I think the European team is going to be very tough this year. After dominating the previous few Ryder Cups they got beat handily @ Valhalla. As of right now they will have a different looking team than they have in years past, with at least 4 rookies. Bringing in the strong presence of Clarke and McGinley, not to mention Monty as captain. I would look for a more cohesive team than the one we saw in 2008. Here is a link for the most up to date Ryder Cup standings for team Europe.
http://www.rydercup.com/2010/europe/team/world_standings.cfm

and for team USA
http://www.rydercup.com/2010/usa/team/team_standings.cfm

As a Dane I am happy to see the inclusion of Bjørn. I think (hope) the Europeans will be very hard to beat this year!

Good point TC. Europe have a lot of very good golfers, but not a lot of experience on the big stage as yet, especially when chasing a game.

I'm a bit apprehensive since the Europeans are looking like they'll be favourites. Never comfortable with that scenario!

solid choices and yes Paulo you never want to face the USA when were considered the "underdogs"!

solid choices and yes Paulo you never want to face the USA when were considered the "underdogs"!

Doesn't help that parts of the media are poking the US guys with proverbial sticks by claiming they don't have what it takes! As if Pavin even needs to say a word to motivate them now!

hehehe should be an epic Ryder Cup for sure

Back