After Round - Handshakes Without Hats

I remove the hat. I like to show as much respect and courtesy as possible on the course. I truly feel blessed everytime I get to play. I do not mind if someone leaves there hat on though.

I've always shaken hands with everyone at the end of a round and there's always a polite "Nice playing with you" or some other complementary exchange, but I don't generally remove my hat.

I don't think it's a bad idea, but I don't see it as necessary.

-JP

Sometimes you dont have time to remove your hat as they are already right behind you if youre tapping in.

I noticed golf pros on TV start removing their hats more and more often when shaking hands about five or six years ago and wondered what the usual etiquette cops had to say about that. In looking at various sources (Emily Post, Miss Manners, etc.), I came to the conclusion that people were mixing up a few rules of etiquette to arrive at the conclusion that it was necessary to doff your cap when shaking hands. Specifically, rules of etiquette call for a man to raise his hat to woman he knows and to doff his cap when during introductions, but I found no provision that recommends a man should remove his hat while shaking hands with another man he already knows.

I keep my hat on, no disrespect intended.

I have an interesting taking off hat while shaking story.

At the last :thp: outing, I played with Biggsy and CRucker on Sunday. I was the last to putt out and when I turned around, they had their hats off and came toward me to shake my hand. I had never played with anyone who did this and it made me feel great even though I had a terrible back nine. I felt respected and I felt their respect toward the game in general. Nobody around me takes off their hat to shake hands, but I make it a point to do so.

You just said it all Brother! Not doing so, in no way show's disrespect or even something lessor of a person, yet doing so show's something pretty special. I chose to and will teach my grandkids as if it's as important as keeping their head down through a shot. Each to your own, I can see a lot of benefits with no side effects, haha

Uh...depends for me. If my playing partners take off their hats for the handshake, I will too.

Etiquette is different for everyone. I was never taught taking my cap off really meant anything....however, if I see my playing partners do it, obviously it means something to them, and it's a simple enough thing to follow suit.

Personally, I find it to be a meaningless gesture though. If they were great to play with, they're still great in my book whether or not they take off the cap. If they were jerks, taking off their cap doesn't suddenly make them any less jerks....they're just clueless, pretentious jerks!

What's a hat? LOL!

I do not wear a hat but I have a lot of hat rules. Never wear a hat inside, when I was single I would never date a woman who wore a ball cap, and a bunch more. All added up, school and pro football I played 16 seasons. Always took my helmet off to shake hands after the game, even if I had a battle with a particular player I did not like. Taking the helmet off signaled the end of the battle. Same with golf. If you wear a hat, be respectful and take it off to shake hands. Competition is over.

I'm old school on this one. Hat always comes off--I wear a Panama straw Fedora-- before the traditional handshake. For me respect is memorable.

I also always remove my hat; I am surprised at how many people don't do this. If I see someone on TV not remove their cap when shaking someone's hand I am irritated. Remove your cap fellas, it's the gentleman thing to do!!

Relatively sure judging someone based on a meaningless act is NOT the gentlemanly thing to do.

Back