Ball Fittings-How Often?

Hanks

On the Fringe
Reaction score
Handicap
bOOBs
I think everyone understands or is starting to understand the importance of ball fittings. The big question is how often should you have a fitting done? Is this a once and done process or should you have it checked often as your game improves? We are quick to change our equipment for newer/better things but should you treat your ball the same way?

I think everyone understands or is starting to understand the importance of ball fittings. The big question is how often should you have a fitting done? Is this a once and done process or should you have it checked often as your game improves? We are quick to change our equipment for newer/better things but should you treat your ball the same way?

Wow, that is a great question. Im not sure that there is a right or wrong answer. I have been fit both at a store with multiple brands and on the Bridgestone truck and both came away with the same results for me. I was also fit on B-Fit which I really like for an online system as it is very personal. I try and go back to B Fit once every few months and update on what my findings are as my game changes and what is working for me. Maybe I should be doing that even more frequently and seeing what the guys say.

It could be overkill, but it seems to be working.

That is a good question. I don't suppose there are many amateurs who will constantly be looking to change their ball. I find that most will find a brand they like and stick with it.
It would make sense to get fit more often as your game improves, but when? Is your current ball aiding your improvement, or will a change actually help? Tough one!

Not that I'm super golfer or anything but I've found myself checking B-Fit every other month based on what I'm seeing from my game. One of the benefits of playing B-stones. Almost always the results are the same which is consistent with my store fitting. I think ball fittings (online or otherwise) are the fastest, most convenient, and cheapest fitting available to golfers and shoudl be a no brainer.
Wow, that is a great question. Im not sure that there is a right or wrong answer. I have been fit both at a store with multiple brands and on the Bridgestone truck and both came away with the same results for me. I was also fit on B-Fit which I really like for an online system as it is very personal. I try and go back to B Fit once every few months and update on what my findings are as my game changes and what is working for me. Maybe I should be doing that even more frequently and seeing what the guys say.

It could be overkill, but it seems to be working.

Good topic, T. I have a pretty good example of why a beginnner/high handicapper should re-evaluate their ball choice as they improve.

During my first ball fitting I was primarily interested in a higher ball flight to increase my distance and stopping ability on the green. I did the B-Fit and the standard online fitting for Bridgestone and Wilson Staff. I ended up choosing the e5. One thing to note is that at the time, I didn't know my club head speed.

I was really happy with the e5 during the time that I used it. I was seeing higher trajectory, mainly on my irons and hybrids, and more spin around the green. At the same time, I picked up a set of irons that also helped me get the ball up in the air and my swing was improving. At that point, I began to get the feeling that I would benefit from a ball that helped me more off of the tee. I was looking for distance and less spin off of my driver.

I did a head-to-head comparison on the launch monitor with the Bridgestone e5 and e6. I had a feeling the e6 might be better for my new game, but I didn't expect the huge difference that I saw. The numbers on the monitor were astounding to say the least. Bottom line is that my driver shot benefited tremendously from less spin and a lower compression. I switched to the e6 and still am able to stop it on the green (with a good strike, of course) and get height out of my irons and hybrids, with the added benefit of more distance, a better launch angle, and less spin off of the tee.

This is not just a testament to Bridgestone either. As my supply of e6's has dwindled, I've tried other some other brands' low compression/low spin balls and they are working well for me too.

I think that you need to evaluate your current game's weaknesses and decide if you could be playing a ball that is better able to fight them.

I feel you should do it anytime you change irons/driver.

I'm by no means any expert on the topic, but I would say all of the above:
- Major equipment change (new driver, irons, etc)
- Progression of game (especially for a beginner)
- Advances in ball technology (something newer/better coming out since your last fitting)

I have yet to do a "live" ball fitting, only done the online ones and the Titleist "interview" fitting. There is a Bridgestone fitting next Wednesday in my area, hopefully I can make it this time.

On the other side, however, getting fit too often you're likely to keep changing what ball you'll use. If you're constantly changing balls and not seeing real results in the end. Sure, a ball they'll recommend might make you drive further, improve short game, putter better, but when it all adds up the same on your scorecard, then is it really worth it?

Good point about changing too often Ken. I view it as the same as buying a new stick, it'll take time to work into your game and get comfortable. You might see an immediate difference in some areas, but you've got to learn to live with it in every area, and that takes time.

I have yet to do a "live" ball fitting, only done the online ones and the Titleist "interview" fitting. There is a Bridgestone fitting next Wednesday in my area, hopefully I can make it this time.

On the other side, however, getting fit too often you're likely to keep changing what ball you'll use. If you're constantly changing balls and not seeing real results in the end. Sure, a ball they'll recommend might make you drive further, improve short game, putter better, but when it all adds up the same on your scorecard, then is it really worth it?

Ken, I would really, really recommend you get yourself over to the Bridgestone fitting if you can. The online tools are good, but they are really nothing like the launch monitor. Having the numbers in front of you really makes a big difference. The other thing that I notice about all online fittings (balls, shafts, etc), is that your perceptions cloud your input. What you perceive to be happening in your swing is not always really what is happening.

Master is wise.....
Ken, I would really, really recommend you get yourself over to the Bridgestone fitting if you can. The online tools are good, but they are really nothing like the launch monitor. Having the numbers in front of you really makes a big difference. The other thing that I notice about all online fittings (balls, shafts, etc), is that your perceptions cloud your input. What you perceive to be happening in your swing is not always really what is happening.

With all the new ball technology that is out and contuines to come out I would thenk that about once a year should do the trick. I will get mine done after I see what new balls come out for next year.

I missed the Bridgestone fitting here in April (I was working midnights and slept through it)...I'm definitely hoping to make the one next Wednesday. They're few and far between around here unless I feel like driving to either the Cleveland or Pittsburgh area.

Back