The Official NFL 2010 Thread [Spoilers]

Status
Not open for further replies.
True but what about in terms of the QB position? Id say it set the position back a few years.

god look who they used a qb during those years. Carter, Leaf, Stoerner, Hutchinson, Henson, Wright, Vinny T, and Bledsoe

I think AZ got lucky Warner fell in their lap...and they didn't sign him thinking he was going to be their guy. Remember, the year they won the Super Bowl Leinart was the starter going in to camp. Choosing a QB early that doesn't pan out can set your franchise back, both on the field and in the salary cap. Look at Buffalo, Detroit, SF, Seatle(with Rick Mirer), Browns, Chargers, Bengals. The Bengals took Akili Smith in 99, he was a bust, ended up taking Palmer 03. John Kitna was good for the Bengals which allowed them to bench Palmer for a season. I don't know if it costs you 10 years necessarily, but it does set your franchise backwards for a number of years.

Every one of the teams you mention has had terrible drafts in multiple picks since then. Blaming it on the one back QB pick is not fair. Warner did not really fall in their lap, he was signed as a player because they drafted a rookie and wanted veteran leadership behind him. This is a 2 QB league now with the amount of injuries that come to that position. You can throw out bad teams each and every year and say well it was because they drafted a bad QB, but actual stats say otherwise. For every good QB taken there are multiple bad ones. And its not just QB, look at any position and it is a waste of a pick that should have been successful. But I dont bye the salary cap implications because with what the cap is now, it is not a factor. Shifting money is not a big deal and AZ is the perfect example of that. So is Dallas and San Diego, etc...

it all comes down to overall decision making. Not one pick. The teams that are successful have good overall drafts and signings, the teams that are not mess up pick after pick. No one player is setting a team back 5 let alone 10 years due to cap issues and/or play. Bad management is.

True but what about in terms of the QB position? Id say it set the position back a few years.

god look who they used a qb during those years. Carter, Leaf, Stoerner, Hutchinson, Henson, Wright, Vinny T, and Bledsoe

STOP!!! Make the bad man stop!! hahaha dont remind me!! Gees thats bad. I had how Parcells would never give a young guy a chance. Had to bring in the old washed up QB!!

Im not sure I agree there either. Look at the signings they made after that. They signed a bunch of terrible players to fill the gap. It was not a money thing. But a bad decision thing. I mean look at these guys.

Ryan Leaf, Hutchinson, Drew Henson, Wright, Vinny Testeverde, and Bledsoe

STOP!!! Make the bad man stop!! hahaha dont remind me!! Gees thats bad. I had how Parcells would never give a young guy a chance. Had to bring in the old washed up QB!!

come on he started Henson on Thanksgiving that one time, only to replace him with Vinny at the half

Im not sure I agree there either. Look at the signings they made after that. They signed a bunch of terrible players to fill the gap. It was not a money thing. But a bad decision thing. I mean look at these guys.

Ryan Leaf, Hutchinson, Drew Henson, Wright, Vinny Testeverde, and Bledsoe

part was a money thing because they couldn't afford a lot better. They had salary issues then. Bledsoe was the step in the right direction

come on he started Henson on Thanksgiving that one time, only to replace him with Vinny at the half

I remember that game vividly. He finally caved in and started Henson and it was a disaster. Henson sucked anyway.

Not to add more fuel to the Dallas bad qb era...Tony Banks was also signed to be their starter for the 2001 season(he was a second round pick for the rams in 96). Only to be released during training camp

part was a money thing because they couldn't afford a lot better. They had salary issues then. Bledsoe was the step in the right direction

How could Quincy have created a money issue? His contract was relatively small in guaranteed money! It was due to about a dozen of other bad signings.

Not to add more fuel to the Dallas bad qb era...Tony Banks was also signed to be their starter for the 2001 season(he was a second round pick for the rams in 96). Only to be released during training camp

Jerry was truely desperate for starting QB for some time! And all the while the "Tuna" is signing whatever bum off the street he can so he doesnt have to let the young guy play and Romo is sitting over there on the bench.

How could Quincy have created a money issue? His contract was relatively small in guaranteed money! It was due to about a dozen of other bad signings.

I think he was referring to all the other bad deals. Plus I think they were STILL paying Emmit, Aikman and Sanders.

I think he was referring to all the other bad deals. Plus I think they were STILL paying Emmit, Aikman and Sanders.

Retired players did not count against the cap.

yes, they were still paying for the championship years...but by drafting Carter and him not panning out it was a reason they had to try those other qb's. Instability at that position is no good for a franchise

yes, they were still paying for the championship years...but by drafting Carter and him not panning out it was a reason they had to try those other qb's. Instability at that position is no good for a franchise

I agree completely..................here is why

Spoiler
jake-delhomme.jpg

Im sorry, but looking at cap numbers and what Carter was making, it was not a financial burden because of him. The retired players did not count against the cap and going through 10 QB's is not a result of a salary cap, but a result of poor late round drafting, poor free agent signing, etc... Carter cost the team very little in terms of a cap number at release or during tenure. Who they chose to spend the money on after the fact or in upcoming drafts was their issue.

Since 2001, here are the Cowboys 1st and 2nd round picks.

01 - Quincy Carter and Tony Dixon
02 - Roy Williams and Andre Gurode and Antonio Bryant
03 - Terrence Newman and Al Johnson
04 - Julius Jones and Jacob Rogers
05 - Demarcus Ware and Marcus Spears and Kevin Burnett
06 - Bobby Carpenter and Anthony Fasano
07 - Anthony Spencer
08 - Felix Jones and Martellus Bennet and Mike Jenkins
09 - Jason Williams and Robert Brewster
10 - Dez Bryant and Sean Lee

If anybody wants to blame Quincy Carter after seeing that list, have at it. His cap number was tiny for a 1st round pick.

I agree completely..................here is why

Spoiler
jake-delhomme.jpg

But he got you to the big dance once. I think they just held onto something that wasnt there for too long.

But he got you to the big dance once. I think they just held onto something that wasnt there for too long.

Honestly...it was a joke....I use it as JB bait....but I hooked an OEM this time. hehe

Im sorry, but looking at cap numbers and what Carter was making, it was not a financial burden because of him. The retired players did not count against the cap and going through 10 QB's is not a result of a salary cap, but a result of poor late round drafting, poor free agent signing, etc... Carter cost the team very little in terms of a cap number at release or during tenure. Who they chose to spend the money on after the fact or in upcoming drafts was their issue.

Since 2001, here are the Cowboys 1st and 2nd round picks.

01 - Quincy Carter and Tony Dixon
02 - Roy Williams and Andre Gurode and Antonio Bryant
03 - Terrence Newman and Al Johnson
04 - Julius Jones and Jacob Rogers
05 - Demarcus Ware and Marcus Spears and Kevin Burnett
06 - Bobby Carpenter and Anthony Fasano
07 - Anthony Spencer
08 - Felix Jones and Martellus Bennet and Mike Jenkins
09 - Jason Williams and Robert Brewster
10 - Dez Bryant and Sean Lee

If anybody wants to blame Quincy Carter after seeing that list, have at it. His cap number was tiny for a 1st round pick.

Those are some very telling draft picks to say the least. Stark contrast from '01 to say the last two years. Actually, the '09 picks, werent they second rounders? They lost theyre first round pick for Roy Williams. But the point is well taken, blunders by ownership and management are very apparent.

and quicny carter was a 2nd round pick:act-up:

Actually their draft picks from 02-05 aren't THAT bad

Those are some very telling draft picks to say the least. Stark contrast from '01 to say the last two years. Actually, the '09 picks, werent they second rounders? They lost theyre first round pick for Roy Williams. But the point is well taken, blunders by ownership and management are very apparent.

man, if you look at that draft history you would think they would have a team. I bet they hate they dropped Fasano so quickly.

man, if you look at that draft history you would think they would have a team. I bet they hate they dropped Fasano so quickly.

I liked Fasano, had one big catch against the undefeated Colts on a 3rd down play that allowed them to run out the clock. Bennett isn't bad, wish they would get him more involved.

I dont think so. Plus they HOPE Bennett is a player but so far he is just immature.

and quicny carter was a 2nd round pick:act-up:

Actually their draft picks from 02-05 aren't THAT bad

Thats right, Carter was a second rounder. But he was still a terrible pick that everyone said would have been there 3 rounds later

Thats right, Carter was a second rounder. But he was still a terrible pick that everyone said would have been there 3 rounds later

Carter was a bad pick...I'm not saying that Carter killed them financially. But when they took him(stupidly) in the 2nd round, they thought he would be their next qb so they wanted to give him every chance possible. When they saw he couldn't do it, they struggled to get replacements until Vinny T came. At least he and Bledsoe stabilized the position.

is it just me or did Whitten not look like himself last year? He used to run away, to an extent, from LB's and run down the field. Last year he looked like a tired tc was under those pads!

is it just me or did Whitten not look like himself last year? He used to run away, to an extent, from LB's and run down the field. Last year he looked like a tired tc was under those pads!

he looked slower last year...hope he is in good shape this year...I heard Barber lost weight and Felix put weight on...hope both can stay healthy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back