Is it too late for Duval to be dominant again?

Goins

"Not too shabby"
Reaction score
Like the title says, has too much time gone by for him to regain the form he once had? Me myself I would love to see Tiger, Phil, and Duval slugging it out again. I think it's highly doubtfull.

Not a chance IMO.

This is coming from a huge DD fan....he will never dominate again. He looks to be on track to make his tour card for next year and we will see him contend sporadically here and there, heck he might even win again, but he will not be slugging it out with TW and Phil anytime soon.

When DD and Tigger were #1 and #2 it was a great time to watch golf. Two very different players at their best. DD was a fan fav and I hope he can atleast return to compete. But dominate....no....but then again neither will Tigger...IMO.

I dont think it will ever happen. Heck the guy does not even have his tour card. Meaning he did not make it through Q School. Domination is not even on his radar. I have said before I dont think he will ever win again on the PGA Tour. The talent pool is so deep now, you have to string together 4 really good days or 3 great days. DD just does not have that.

He was a very good player, but frankly he quit on the game and moved to Colorado. He lost the passion, I cant blame him for not wanting to continue if you dont enjoy it. But in that time a lot of things changed including his buffet frequency (HAHA). I think going into any tournament DD has a better chance at missing the cut than he does at winning.

You can usually spot him at the tournaments though. He looks like the guy that ate David Duval.

I dont think it will ever happen. Heck the guy does not even have his tour card. Meaning he did not make it through Q School. Domination is not even on his radar. I have said before I dont think he will ever win again on the PGA Tour. The talent pool is so deep now, you have to string together 4 really good days or 3 great days. DD just does not have that.

He was a very good player, but frankly he quit on the game and moved to Colorado. He lost the passion, I cant blame him for not wanting to continue if you dont enjoy it. But in that time a lot of things changed including his buffet frequency (HAHA). I think going into any tournament DD has a better chance at missing the cut than he does at winning.

You can usually spot him at the tournaments though. He looks like the guy that ate David Duval.

LMAO! It's so true.

Yes. Duval's time has come and gone. He might just surprise us and win one, someday, but to be dominant? Not again. I think his chances to win again are better than Daly's though.

I have to agree with the consenus, his time is past sadly

Yes. Duval's time has come and gone. He might just surprise us and win one, someday, but to be dominant? Not again. I think his chances to win again are better than Daly's though.

Hmm I hate John Daly but I disagree with this. Daly (and I hate to say it) has looked ok the past couple months.

Hmm I hate John Daly but I disagree with this. Daly (and I hate to say it) has looked ok the past couple months.

Daly can look good for a round or two. Duval looked good for a whole U.S. Open a couple years ago and tied for second. He's also missed the cut in three of the last four majors he's played in!

I think asking if David Duval or John Daly can win again is like asking if Jean Claude VanDamme and Steven Seagal can rule the summer time big screens again...

I see him winning again, but not be dominate. I think John Daly has a win left in him, too.

I see him winning again, but not be dominate. I think John Daly has a win left in him, too.

Has to be on the regular tour! hehe

I think they both might be able to win once in a while on the Senior Tour.

After listening to his recent interviews, yes he is done. He is just making a living now.

Its amazing how fast it can come crashing down.

I thought DD ran into some physical issues as well that are not going away......his back I thought. Do I have this totally wrong or isn't that one of the major issues that were his undoing and would make a comeback to past glories pretty much impossible?

I thought DD ran into some physical issues as well that are not going away......his back I thought. Do I have this totally wrong or isn't that one of the major issues that were his undoing and would make a comeback to past glories pretty much impossible?

He is also much heavier now. Seems like its hard to go through weight changes in either direction. Jack was better when he was heavier and Carl Petterson just did a spot talking about how getting in shape threw his swing off. Long Shot i suppose but could be relevant.

He did have some back issues, but his undoing was walking away from the game because he did not have the passion anymore (his words).

David Duval is heavier now, he seems to be the same weight that he was when he went on that tear in late 1998 and through 1999. It wasn't until he started his fitness regime in 2000 when he started really having back problems.

I will preface this by saying I am one of his biggest fans, and he's had a couple of second place finishes already in his comeback. Those of you that remember, he was the King of the second place finish until he broke through in 1998. I think he had 7 second places finishes until he figured out how to win.

I see him winning again, maybe not a major (but it sure would be nice). It looks like he should get his card for 2011 and a decent finish next week at Turning Stone will go a long way to help securing that. He has a reason to win now (for his new family) so hopefully that will give him a renewed fire. The confidence is coming back, that 65 two weeks ago at St. Georges was evidence... now he just need to keep it up

i think he can win again and I hope he does. He will never be dominant. I love it when he is playing well. He should earn his tour card back for next year based on money won. Currently has over 712,000 which would have placed him 118th based on last years money list. Top 125 get their tour card(correct me if I'm wrong) He is playing up at the Tourning Stone Championship this week, which is only about 90 minutes from me. I'm trying to figure out if I can get out there for a day this week.

i think he can win again and I hope he does. He will never be dominant. I love it when he is playing well. He should earn his tour card back for next year based on money won. Currently has over 712,000 which would have placed him 118th based on last years money list. Top 125 get their tour card(correct me if I'm wrong) He is playing up at the Tourning Stone Championship this week, which is only about 90 minutes from me. I'm trying to figure out if I can get out there for a day this week.

i hope you can figure out a way to make it, that would be great.

i hope you can figure out a way to make it, that would be great.

I love going to golf tournaments...been to a lot, including 3 of the 4 majors and a ryder cup

I love going to golf tournaments...been to a lot, including 3 of the 4 majors and a ryder cup

so this is small potatoes to you, hahaha

I dont think Duval is going to be dominant again but he could get lucky and win one of those tournaments that Tiger and Phil never play.

Back