Old Clubs

• New Tech

Votes: 53 96.4%
  • 30 Years old

Votes: 2 3.6%

• Total voters
Can i ask then why his old irons are in the garage and not the bag then? also you made the comment about not selling well. and i quote

i dont think that blade or forged blade irons can move THAT much BUT they can still move forward, also the foam thing as you so put it has caught on but the thing that makes new irons better is the weight placement and all of the MOI and COG research that goes into them

and finally NO YOU ARE WRONG I OWN A SET OF FITTED PING EYE 2'S I STILL DONT HAVE THEM IN THE BAG

You can't just take out pieces of my quotes and use them, i go on to say that the reason i thought they don't sell well is based on wht i have heard here. Why don't you play your eye 2's? Maybe you just want something new but the fact that you still have em speaks volumes as to them being viable iron still 30 years later.

Yeah i mean look at em ping hasn't really changed the look of their irons ever with the exception of the s series. You could make the argument that wider soles is a newer tech i suppose and that would be true. The grinding they do now is pretty good but did you know the i5s have the same scooped out grind that the eye 2s had. The i wedge is basically an updated ping eye 2 with an identical grind etc.

i will focus just on this part. Did you say updated? as in updated means new technology! EXACTLY our point, they are "updated" over 1980 irons, which means new freaking technology!

You can't just take out pieces of my quotes and use them, i go on to say that the reason i thought they don't sell well is based on wht i have heard here. Why don't you play your eye 2's? Maybe you just want something new but the fact that you still have em speaks volumes as to them being viable iron still 30 years later.

i still have a walmart dunlop driver that sits in the game room. It means nothing to me. I dont see your point here at all.

The i wedge is basically an updated ping eye 2 with an identical grind etc.
really because you have both the tech specs and drafting documents in front of you and can read them both correctly where did you get either your drafting or engineering degree? because i have seen some of them when callaway sent a rep to my school (Auburn University) to give a presentation on engineers in the golf industry and i couldnt read them all the way and i am two semesters away from my degree. they might change something subtle or the alloy of metal they use or how they make them or something like what they insert in the cavity or how they move the weighting and it makes a huge difference.

i still have a walmart dunlop driver that sits in the game room. It means nothing to me. I dont see your point here at all.

Well id wager there are persimmon drivers that are better than that POS. I also should apologize, this is just my opinion, if you feel like the tech has helped you then it has, it just doesn't seem to change anything for me. Its not right to say your opinion is wrong and i apoloize and will delete that post.

I guess this whole debate revolves around the "innovation" and technology developed over the years for the development of irons. I know this all started with a Camilo debate and just blew up.

The pro's play either cavity back players irons or blades. They are consistent ball strikers that can use those things like a surgeon to blace the ball perfectly on the course. I'm sure some technology has been adapted into them over the years but they could compete well with the technology of the old days.

I feel that the technology in the irons has been devoted to the GI and SGI iron sets to assist us, the amateur golfers of the world. Miss hits are more forgiving and end up downrange in a decent position rather than rolling along the ground for only a few yards. The technology used is mainly the redistribution of weight/metal for each iron. I play the GI clubs because I lack ball striking consistency. I could probably play ok with stuff from the past but I might as well use the resources available to me. It gives me the mindset that "I will hit this ball well" instead of "I really hope I don't screw this up".

I guess it all depends on how drastic you feel about a little less metal is behind the clubface and more around the perimeter of the clubhead as to how much "technology" and "innovation" is in the modern equipment.

no the reason i dont play the Ping Eye 2's is because they dont play as well as my new clubs they dont play as consistent or as long as my new irons also when i mishit my new clubs i dont lose as much as i do with the ping eye 2's

also the only reason they were relevant is because of the court ruling allowing them to be played despite the grooves and the new groove rules

You seem to be missing the point. Of course they want to play new irons, but the tech is the same, hasn't changed at all. I never said that 30 year old irons were better, just that they are just as good. The only significant change has been the lofts and shaft length. Shaft tech has come a long way, even in steel, but not irons.

Yeah i mean look at em ping hasn't really changed the look of their irons ever with the exception of the s series. You could make the argument that wider soles is a newer tech i suppose and that would be true. The grinding they do now is pretty good but did you know the i5s have the same scooped out grind that the eye 2s had. The i wedge is basically an updated ping eye 2 with an identical grind etc.

You seem to be forgetting THREE huge steps in irons both blades and cavitys over the past 30 years despite me pointing it out to you on 7 occasions last night.

Vacuum Casting - Changed the way companies could make clubs

Composite metals - Led to hotter faces, thinner faces, and ridiculous amounts of weight movement

The Players Cavity being the norm - You can talk all you want about blades not changing. Here is a big change blades went through. They are NOT played anymore. More than three quarters of tour players stopped using them. Over 93% of purchasing consumers did not buy them in the year 2009 (according to Golf Data Tech), and the largest golf equipment companies in the world took them from production.

You can talk all you want about Eye 2s being the same, but in typical fashion like you have been doing for a week now here, you are painting a broad brush on an industry full of experts that have made significant strides in what they do. If you dont like new equipment, DONT BUY IT. But patents are filed every month for new technology that you said last night did not exist. YOU ARE WRONG! Just like you were with Ryan Moore, you are incorrect. I can actually pull at least 10 quotes from this forum from the last 72 hours that you posted that are just flat out incorrect. Not changing your words, but actual quotes.

You have made your opinion and I think the others have here, and I think it is time for everybody to move along and find some other topics to discuss!

Callaway used tungsten and titanium back in the mid 90s, vacuum casting has made casting more consistent but its still casting, and apparently blades are still played as every company but tm still makes em. All the big guns in callyway play x protos. Most of the nike guys play tw blades, fowler and mcilroy play mbs, etc. Like i said you can think what you think and i think what i think, but it doesn't mean anyone should boycott their new irons or feel cheated and it doesn't mean peopl have to go buy new irons to play well. If you feel its changed your game then it has end of story no matter what i think!

Callaway used tungsten and titanium back in the mid 90s, vacuum casting has made casting more consistent but its still casting, and apparently blades are still played as every company but tm still makes em. All the big guns in callyway play x protos. Most of the nike guys play tw blades, fowler and mcilroy play mbs, etc. Like i said you can think what you think and i think what i think, but it doesn't mean anyone should boycott their new irons or feel cheated and it doesn't mean peopl have to go buy new irons to play well. If you feel its changed your game then it has end of story no matter what i think!

Mid 90s is not 30 years ago.
Most of the Nike guys DO NOT play TW Blades according to the Darrell Survey
Both Callaway and Taylormade ARE NOT producing blades right now (x protos) are not a 2010 product
Stats dont lie. Over 75% of the PGA Tour are NOT playing blades

I HAVE NEVER SAID THAT new tech meant better. What I said was THAT THERE IS NEW TECHNOLOGY!

Weezy -- If you don't mind me asking, how old are you? You sure are a strong will, tough litte sh*t and for that I am impressed with your standing up to these two experts on here. I think you are barking up the wrong tree trying to convince them of your side of the story. Just like I said in the R9 driver thread, the option to turn the head I belive actually made my swing worse. My golf coach after many lessons got it going in the right direction. I play the R9, when I use it, on the Neutral position with the weights set at original factory specs. In words just as they came out of the box. You can read more about this up higher in this thread. I do like the option of changing out the shaft as to me that is the more important phase of driver improvement. Cobra has that to off now in both the S2 and ZL driver. I tried the R9 irons briefly and had to return them to the store. Even with all the high tech changes in the world equipment works only if it feels right for the individuals. There are not one single player at my club who play the new TM irons. Now there are more playing the R9 drivers and a few playing the Burner drivers. We have five individuals playing cobra irons, a few playing mizuno's a few more playing Titliest, Sxiron, wilson staff, Nike, Ping & calloway. The club champ the last 10 years has not had TM irons in the bag. Two Cobra players including myself won the Club championship with mine using the handicap system. Last year's champ plays Nike irons. The year before was Sxiron and so forth. I guess what the experts who are debating with you are have merit in there response as the sales for the new stuff has been quite good the past several years. It's still a personal thing. We have a senior player who has won 8 out of the 10 last Senior devision club championship and he plays the oldiest looking calloway clubs I have ever seen. He will beat your brains out with those old irons. The younger senior players have the new top of the line guns and they know Bruce will kick there arse all over the golf course, so the new technology does not promise you a brillant golf game, maybe make it a bit easier, but you still have to produce the shots. Good luck buddy and if I would you, I would shelve this thread and move on to one where the gangbanging is not so severe. I think you started all this trying to protect my cobra brand loyalty. I think you for that and apolize you got pounced on by the equipment experts on this site... Good luck in your golf game and I wish you could make it to Florida with us this Fall!

ol Gray

Gray you just said it yourself in that post. NEW TECHNOLOGY. This has NOTHING to do with brands. ANY BRANDS! It has to do with someone saying Technology has not changed!

I might be wrong but I think the young man had good intentions to defend first of all a particular brand, and the thread then got turned into who has the best technology to lure players over to there side of the fence. Someone on here stated that if Camilo could play with better technology, he would win quite a few more tournaments. What weezy was just trying to do was to say a tour star at his calibar should be able to win with any company's technological advances at this point in golf. So people who are "Taylor Made" brand loyal should not be making slighting type remarks about Cobra, Callaway, are bullfrog golf companies saying TM will make the difference in his performance. My old senior club champ could take a wooden shaft driver and the 1920's century niblick irons and give anybody in his age group a huge butt whuppinng at will.. He plays his game with pure skill and has showed us playing all sorts of irons from 1 year old to 20 years old he can produce the same scores...

P.S. Weezy might enjoy butting heads with these guys. I just hope he does not feel bashed on here. I know for a fact that is not what you or GG approve of. Sometimes an augument just needs to be put to rest and move on.... Let's have fun debates but not crush the oponent ......

Gray,
I think some might have said better technology with TM, it was not me, but I think people might believe that. Just like you believe that Cobra has better equipment for you, some believe TM has better equipment.

But to say that there has been no advancements in 3 decades is a flat out falsity.

I turned the big 30 this year, have no idea why it says im a junior golfer haha. I can respect that there have been some differences in technology like you have said, i just don't feel like they have changed anything let alone making a tour star better as a few people implied, not JB i don't think, but some did. I tend to agree that the new pocket cavity stuff may be a step toeard something new as well, id concede that that could be considered new tech. Just that most irons haven't changed is the phrase i should have used and not made a blanket statement which i agree to be wrong to do.

I have no hard feelings towards Weezy i have not said anything to purposely hurt or bash him i simply wish he would remember to narrow his brush strokes and not be so general. other than that it is nothing than a spirited debate which as well all know is good for the soul

I turned the big 30 this year, have no idea why it says im a junior golfer haha. I can respect that there have been some differences in technology like you have said, i just don't feel like they have changed anything let alone making a tour star better as a few people implied, not JB i don't think, but some did. I tend to agree that the new pocket cavity stuff may be a step toeard something new as well, id concede that that could be considered new tech. Just that most irons haven't changed is the phrase i should have used and not made a blanket statement which i agree to be wrong to do.

Best post in this thread all night. Agree with everything you said.

I have no hard feelings towards Weezy i have not said anything to purposely hurt or bash him i simply wish he would remember to narrow his brush strokes and not be so general. other than that it is nothing than a spirited debate which as well all know is good for the soul

Agreed and what makes THP such a great place is we can have heated debates and still say cheers and share a drink at outings each and every year.

Me either, i enjoy seeing the point of view of others, i have mine and share it but its not my place to condemn anothers imo.

Weezy you know i dont have any hard feelings towards you either. I did say i dont know how you could believe that though lol it was just a good debate and i dont hold anything against you because you never backed down and voiced your opinion just like we all did and thats what this is hear for.

Gray,
I think some might have said better technology with TM, it was not me, but I think people might believe that. Just like you believe that Cobra has better equipment for you, some believe TM has better equipment.

But to say that there has been no advancements in 3 decades is a flat out falsity.

Yep now we are on the same track. Everyone loves their own stuff and heck they should be proud of it. If it inspires confidence in your game by all means bag it. I have never made a person feel bad about what sticks they prefer. That's personal stuff and more power to players who bag their Tm or whatever stuff with pride.

As far as tech advance goes, there have been hugh leaps in every way possible with golf equipment. I for one am happy with it and weezy should let this one sleep.

Now that's what I'm talking about. I tried turning that freaking head on the driver all kinds of ways. Moved weights, added weights, yada yada yada and it does not work for me. I am not a good enough golfer to be able to add weights, turn heads , and boom all of a sudden hit the ball a certain way. I just don't possess the talent to do that. Now you give me a really good knowledgeable swing coach, let him work with me. Then I take this to the range and work my arse off at what he instructed, and only then will I see a change. That's my take on the tech side of things.

P.S. BPipe --Man are you coming to the outing. You are funny as hell and smart too!

Why thank you! lol

I wish I could come down to the outing in the worst way, but it is just not in the cards this year. I gotta put a new roof on the homestead, and no matter how hard I wish it has yet to be magically replaced! :banghead:

I will try to make it to an outing next year, if they keep growing in size and manufacture participation I can only imagine the outing will be like next year!

Yep now we are on the same track. Everyone loves their own stuff and heck they should be proud of it. If it inspires confidence in your game by all means bag it. I have never made a person feel bad about what sticks they prefer. That's personal stuff and more power to players who bag their Tm or whatever stuff with pride.

As far as tech advance goes, there have been hugh leaps in every way possible with golf equipment. I for one am happy with it and weezy should let this one sleep.

i've said it before and i'll say it again, ol' gray could give plenty a run for their money with his hissin' snakes!!!!

it's all fun and games til someone loses an eye. personally, i think that camilo made the change b/c TM's tour van is so "terminator" looking.

weezy if you are old enough for a drink then i got one for you, bridges and JL and JB also this was a good debate with whats funny is the main thing on the end of it, it all boils down to feel which as well all know is subjective

Cool i enjoy a good screwdriver now and then!

Back