Degree Loft Predicament?

the19thgreen

Reaction score
Handicap
N/A
So as I have read, theoretically a higher degree of loft should give you more control and a longer drive correct? The thing is, I used a 9 degree loft Diablo Edge Driver today and was consistently driving it down the middle (on the simulator) and with decent length. When I moved up to the 10 degree, I was "shanking" the ball to the left off of the heel of the club head. Is this normal? Could it have been a length discrepency between the 2 drivers? Im just not sure if this is "normal" or not.

So as I have read, theoretically a higher degree of loft should give you more control and a longer drive correct? The thing is, I used a 9 degree loft Diablo Edge Driver today and was consistently driving it down the middle (on the simulator) and with decent length. When I moved up to the 10 degree, I was "shanking" the ball to the left off of the heel of the club head. Is this normal? Could it have been a length discrepency between the 2 drivers? Im just not sure if this is "normal" or not.

It will be different for every golfer. It is about finding the right parameters with launch conditions for your swing.

After doing some immense research driver loft has alot less to do with it then the shaft.

Its kind of strange that with the 10* you were heeling it... Were the shafts both stock or different? That sounds like a shaft length discrepency to me, or a shaft flex discrepency.

Generally, the higher the loft on the club, the higher you'll launch the ball and the more the ball will spin. How much spin and how much launch angle is ideal for you is completely based on your swing characteristics. For example, do you hit up on the ball with your driver, or do you come in more flat, or do you swing your driver 95mph or 110mph...

The drivers were both Diablo Edges in Stiff flexes. I will see if I can check the shaft lengths tomorrow. For reference, i swing around 100mph and tee the ball fairly high up. Any ideas?

The drivers were both Diablo Edges in Stiff flexes. I will see if I can check the shaft lengths tomorrow. For reference, i swing around 100mph and tee the ball fairly high up. Any ideas?

Well like G4L Said loft shouldn't have any f actor on where youre hitting the ball. Especially a 1* difference.

Sounds a bit strange to have such a difference in results. All you should see, going on the info we have here, is different launch angles, spin rates, and length results surely?

When I moved up to the 10 degree, I was "shanking" the ball to the left off of the heel of the club head. Is this normal? Could it have been a length discrepency between the 2 drivers? Im just not sure if this is "normal" or not.

Two possibilities I can think of-

(1) you hit the 9* first and hit a bunch of balls and got tired, then when you switched to the 10* your swing was looser due to fatigue and your arms got away from your body on the downswing. Try again, this time hit the 10* first... or maybe hit 5 balls with one loft, then 5 balls with the other loft and alternate.

(2) Despite both drivers being marked as "S" flex, there is likely some manufacturing variance. Entirely possible that the two had very different cpm shaft freqs that caused some differences in how the club flexed coming to impact. Trying a different club of the same make/model/loft/flex would probably figure that out.

Two possibilities I can think of-

(1) you hit the 9* first and hit a bunch of balls and got tired, then when you switched to the 10* your swing was looser due to fatigue and your arms got away from your body on the downswing. Try again, this time hit the 10* first... or maybe hit 5 balls with one loft, then 5 balls with the other loft and alternate.

(2) Despite both drivers being marked as "S" flex, there is likely some manufacturing variance. Entirely possible that the two had very different cpm shaft freqs that caused some differences in how the club flexed coming to impact. Trying a different club of the same make/model/loft/flex would probably figure that out.

#1 may be the ticket. #2 couldn't be right because they were the same exact club, just different degrees. I cant go back to the shop till Friday, so I will get up early and hit up the simulator then

Oh and for the record, thanks for the Driver shootout article THP. I LOVE THE DIABLO. :D

Everyone has a slightly different angle of attack which requires a certain loft to obtain optimal launch.One needs to get fitted to find what best fits them.

By theory ,more loft which also creates more spin can help counter some side spin.It's much easier to reduce launch and spin with a shaft change then it is to raise it.

I suppose its possible you were trying to keep the 10 down a bit and played it back in your stance, that can present the heel to the ball and then more the middle of the face as you move the ball forward. In other words did your ball position change?

That is also a possibility. I got lucky and will be able to go to the store tomorrow instead of Friday, so I will give the 9* and the 10* a try tomorrow and report any difference in my findings.

I recently went to a 13* draw biased driver. I have always struggled big time with the driver. This was recommended to help straighten out my drives and increase distance but I have been leaving it out of the bag and using the 3 wood off the tee lately. Just too inconsistent to rely on at the moment. I am positive it is my swing and not the driver. My main issue is it just goes too high. Am going to try an 11* next...

So I went back to the pgasuperstore today and demoed the 9*, 9.5* and the 10*. Talked to one of the salespeople and based on my shots by flight angle was great with the 9*. I was also consistently driving the ball pretty straight and with good distance (200-225 yds). Overall very happy with my purchase and can't wait to hit the real range

Congrats! Hope you love your new stick!

Thanks! I'm going to the range tomorrow. Just picked up some FJ superlight shoes as well. I'm almost set. Just need irons :)

Back