Lynford

Reaction score
Handicap
I love repairing my own pitch marks, it pretty much proves that I've hit a decent shot. I however hate repairing 5 pitchmarks on a green.

Every green fee should include a pitchfork and every group who goes through the Pro shop should be politely told to repair their pitchmarks.

This rant is before I go out on my regular Monday morning game, in which my ball miraculously seems to create a minimum of 3 marks per green !

Seems to be more and more common, with improper etiquette creeping into the game. I'm not old fashioned by any means, but the golf course is one of the last places on earth where you should be able to expect manners and camaraderie between players.

There are guys playing my course with their shirts hanging out now. This seems to annoy me!

I love repairing my own pitch marks, it pretty much proves that I've hit a decent shot. I however hate repairing 5 pitchmarks on a green.
Every green fee should include a pitchfork and every group who goes through the Pro shop should be politely told to repair their pitchmarks.
This rant is before I go out on my regular Monday morning game, in which my ball miraculously seems to create a minimum of 3 marks per green !

I agree. Seems like I fix more and more all the time. I think it all depends on who taught you the game. The people that don't fix them now will have kids that play in the future that will have no idea they should be fixing them.

FYI Lynford:

_wsb_698x358_ballmarkrepair2.jpg

One of my pet pevs for sure. Definitely seems to be getting worse as golf gets more and more popular. With golf etiquette, I try to play by example, and if I see some behavior with a playing partner, I try to steer them in the right direction :). Some people just don't know the etiquette, rather than get mad at them, lets help them understand. There are players who just don't care, and that is too bad for them. It's really about respect, for the course, other people and yourself.

Of course I have the same pet pev about littering, especially cigarette butts! Come one people, other people live on this planet too!

It's absolutely crucial that you not only repair your pitch marks, but that you do so in a correct manner as illustrated above. An improperly repaired pitch mark will take at least as long to heal as one which isn't repaired at all.

Why waste time and accomplish nothing at all by doing it wrong???? If your going to do it, then do it right. :doh:

Last edited:
While I am waiting on others before I putt, I like to fix every pitch mark I can find. I believe it helps me concentrate better on my upcoming putt.....

I'm the same way!! Yesterday when we played, I spent a lot of time repairing everyone else's ball marks on the green, I didn't even have any...The people in ahead of us weren't curteous enough to do it, I'll do it for the next people to start the cycle :) Doesn't usually work though :banghead:

At one of the courses we play, they offer FREE ball marker repair tools. The only disclosure is that you need to repair 2 ball marks on the green. sure....like that'll be done.... :confused2:

I don't mind repairing ball marks, I actually like to use mine since I have several that are really blingly and pretty :)

I don't mind repairing ball marks, I actually like to use mine since I have several that are really blingly and pretty :)

Mine aren't "blingly" (is that really a word???), but I have several that I've picked up at some of the better courses I've played, so I like to show off the logos.:D

Besides.... even if you didn't hit the green with your approach shot, you can make any watchers think you did by repairing the ball marks left by some slob ahead of you. :thumb:

While I am waiting on others before I putt, I like to fix every pitch mark I can find. I believe it helps me concentrate better on my upcoming putt.....

What a great attitude :0)

Mine aren't "blingly" (is that really a word???), but I have several that I've picked up at some of the better courses I've played, so I like to show off the logos.:D

Besides.... even if you didn't hit the green with your approach shot, you can make any watchers think you did by repairing the ball marks left by some slob ahead of you. :thumb:

Either that or I have wild ball action going on with me repairing so many of them haa haa haa

I love my ball markers too, they are quite blingy as well :good: I actually was asked to move mine to another location because the glare of the sun kept hitting my marker haa haa

This is certainly my pet peeve on the course, well that and not raking bunkers. It takes just a few moments to do it, so why not do your part instead of being lazy and making the place a mess for the rest of us.

This is certainly my pet peeve on the course, well that and not raking bunkers. It takes just a few moments to do it, so why not do your part instead of being lazy and making the place a mess for the rest of us.

here!! here!!

My buddy used to work at our local muni. When he left he stole this cool pitch mark repair tool. Its awesome it looks like a long 3 foot rod with a spring loaded plunger on one end. You put the plunger end over the ball mark and push the whole rod down. 8 prongs come out and dig in around the pitchmark. Plunge 2-3 times then smooth over with putter. Thing works great. PLus while we're putting he can easily fix 5-8 ball marks in the time that would take me to fix 2. Its a great tool, that i've only seen being used by greenskeepers late in the day. Out here the local greenskeepers lazily walk the courses just fixing ball marks.
Anyways i've already sent an email to my buddy to send me a pick of the device. Has anyone else seen this item and does anyone know why they don't sell this item for regular golfers? If everyone had this product there would be no excuses, you don't even need to bend over!

My buddy used to work at our local muni. When he left he stole this cool pitch mark repair tool. Its awesome it looks like a long 3 foot rod with a spring loaded plunger on one end. You put the plunger end over the ball mark and push the whole rod down. 8 prongs come out and dig in around the pitchmark. Plunge 2-3 times then smooth over with putter. Thing works great. PLus while we're putting he can easily fix 5-8 ball marks in the time that would take me to fix 2. Its a great tool, that i've only seen being used by greenskeepers late in the day. Out here the local greenskeepers lazily walk the courses just fixing ball marks.
Anyways i've already sent an email to my buddy to send me a pick of the device. Has anyone else seen this item and does anyone know why they don't sell this item for regular golfers? If everyone had this product there would be no excuses, you don't even need to bend over!

This sounds really efficient :)

He stole it? I guess that says it all. You act as if this is just a dandy thing that he did. :nono:

We have one that is part of the equipment in the cart that the worker who cuts the new holes each morning uses to fix as many pitch marks as he can see in each green as part of his job at each hole. No player is going to carry such a contraption with him on the course though... it weighs a good 5 pounds and takes up more space than 3 or 4 clubs. They are designed strictly for use by course maintenance staff.

It was stupid of him to steal anything at all, but to steal something that he will never have any real use for is even stupider. I can fix 5 or 6 pitch marks in no time with an ordinary golfer's tool, and without stealing something that a low budget muni might have trouble replacing. I just don't get the attitude that theft is okay as long as it's not a private citizen who's being ripped off. :confused2:

He stole it? I guess that says it all. You act as if this is just a dandy thing that he did. :nono:

We have one that is part of the equipment in the cart that the worker who cuts the new holes each morning uses to fix as many pitch marks as he can see in each green as part of his job at each hole. No player is going to carry such a contraption with him on the course though... it weighs a good 5 pounds and takes up more space than 3 or 4 clubs. They are designed strictly for use by course maintenance staff.

It was stupid of him to steal anything at all, but to steal something that he will never have any real use for is even stupider. I can fix 5 or 6 pitch marks in no time with an ordinary golfer's tool, and without stealing something that a low budget muni might have trouble replacing. I just don't get the attitude that theft is okay as long as it's not a private citizen who's being ripped off. :confused2:

1. He has plenty of uses for it.
2. I never condoned the act.
3. it's not 5 lbs.
4. Its exceptionally conveniate to the point i've always questioned why someones doesn't market it to the public.
5. Stole was a wrong choice. Course (Shoreline Muni) is long gone and out of business. When asked if he could have it, the boss gave a shrug. I say stole because he never gave the other employees (including me) with more seniority a chance to have a crack at it.
6. The subject of this thread is Pitch marks, not morality issues on stealing.

I have long maintained that there is a special place in hell for people that don't fix pitch marks.
They have to make a 40' putt across a 100% un-repaired moon of a green or else get tortured again... too rough?

I have long maintained that there is a special place in hell for people that don't fix pitch marks.
They have to make a 40' putt across a 100% un-repaired moon of a green or else get tortured again... too rough?
you forgot to mention the windmill.......

Seems to be more and more common, with improper etiquette creeping into the game. I'm not old fashioned by any means, but the golf course is one of the last places on earth where you should be able to expect manners and camaraderie between players.

There are guys playing my course with their shirts hanging out now. This seems to annoy me!

Wow, I would annoy the crap out of you then. I have never been able to stand a tucked in shirt and definately feel uncomfortable golfing in one. I do fix all of my pitch marks though plus any more that I see.

1. He has plenty of uses for it.
2. I never condoned the act.
3. it's not 5 lbs.
4. Its exceptionally conveniate to the point i've always questioned why someones doesn't market it to the public.
5. Stole was a wrong choice. Course (Shoreline Muni) is long gone and out of business. When asked if he could have it, the boss gave a shrug. I say stole because he never gave the other employees (including me) with more seniority a chance to have a crack at it.
6. The subject of this thread is Pitch marks, not morality issues on stealing.

You brought up stealing, not me. By the way, here is the latest model of what you are talking about... note the price tag and you will see why nobody carries one in their bag. Greenskeeper repair tool

I repair ball marks so that the people behind me actually think I am playing well enough to be making them. I do it because it actually feels good to walk up to a bit of damage on the green and walk away having fixed it.

I hate the pitch marks also, and for the reason you mention: They are caused by good golf-shots, mostly by good golfers: You would think that they would care enough about following up their approach with a nice putt and would do their part to help maintain the greens! I bet that the golfers that leave them are some pretty miserable a..holes.

It has occasionally happened to me that I know my ball had to have left a mark but I cannot find it! I have walked off under that circumstance, but after looking for it longer than I would look for a ball!

PS I played a pitch and putt once that had a bucket full of cheap plastic (but effective) repair tools near every green.

Back