Common tour shaft?

JRod

Reaction score
Handicap
4.2 USGA
Whats the shaft I see alot of players on tour using in their drivers? (Andres Romero,Mike Weir, Tim Clark, etc) It's grey up by the grip and then red the rest of the way down towards the head.

Thanks in advance

It depends. Guys that use a Taylormade R9 type of driver all have their shafts painted the same way. TM worked with shaft companies to create a uniform look. So there are actually many different shafts that all look the same.

It depends. Guys that use a Taylormade R9 type of driver all have their shafts painted the same way. TM worked with shaft companies to create a uniform look. So there are actually many different shafts that all look the same.

Wow I never knew that...but it makes perfect sense. Thanks JB you are a vast array of knowledge.

Well I just saw Justin Leonard use one also (Nike staffer) Help pls!

Well I just saw Justin Leonard use one also (Nike staffer) Help pls!

Last I checked, Leonard was using the a UST ATTAS and an Aldila RIP Shaft.

Its most definately the Attas thanks alot JB this was driving me nuts. I see a ton of people using this shaft...do we have any reviews on it?

post-3152-1236914987-2.jpg

Its most definately the Attas thanks alot JB this was driving me nuts. I see a ton of people using this shaft...do we have any reviews on it?

Yes on the home page. And everybody at the Spring Outing at the opportunity to hit it as well.

By the way JRod, according to the last Darrell Survey, DD is using the R9 SuperDeep from Taylormade.

This is PURE marketing genious. The average jo looks at that tour guys playing those drivers and thinks the one on the shelf is just like a tour player. Little does he know, the true work horse of the club aka: the shaft, is just another crapy cheap of the shelf unit.

The more you keep avg joe in the dark the easier it is to sell him another driver next year. lol

They sure know how to market. I will give them that!

This is PURE marketing genious. The average jo looks at that tour guys playing those drivers and thinks the one on the shelf is just like a tour player. Little does he know, the true work horse of the club aka: the shaft, is just another crapy cheap of the shelf unit.

I agree that it is marketing genius. But I am not sure I would call the shaft crappy. I find it quite good especially by stock shaft standards.

From my experience stock shafts work ok for people with moderate swing speeds and a smooth tempo. I tend to have a severe transition and the stock shafts just seem to fold over and never catch up, forcing me to miss right.

Fu bU kI

Is that a new shaft? I have never heard of the Fu bu ki :confused2:

it is a shaft gray. never hit one, but i love the name. i think that OEM has hit one and he likes it.

i also never knew that the TM guys had shafts that were "colored" to match the stock motore. that's interesting. i think that snedecker also had an attas in his driver from what i could tell today.

Attas looks like an awesome shaft (both literally and figuratively) but they are mighty proud of it. MSRP at 385$. Ouch

Attas looks like an awesome shaft (both literally and figuratively) but they are mighty proud of it. MSRP at 385$. Ouch

We had them at the last outing and should have the new yet to be released at the Fall outing. I used one for a little while, but still found myself preferring PX & Miyazaki over it. Of course that is for my swing.

Yah for that price I would love to look at other options heh... if I have some launch monitor numbers can Miyazaki fit me over the phone? I am going to a bridgestone ball fitting today and I am gonna write down all my #'s.

Yah for that price I would love to look at other options heh... if I have some launch monitor numbers can Miyazaki fit me over the phone? I am going to a bridgestone ball fitting today and I am gonna write down all my #'s.

They dont do phone fittings in the US right now, however one of their national fitters probably could. But I will tell you what, if you get all of your numbers, shoot me a PM, and I will call Tim Gillis and see what he would recommend. As one of the foremost shaft authorities out there, he has helped many, and knows his stuff better than anybody I have ever met.

And of course like he mentioned on our radio show last month, Miyazaki will be launching their online fitting tool soon.

Well if you trust him thats good enough for me... I will make sure I get all my info today from the launch monitor and give you the details. Much appreciate your help with this JB as I have stated before, its hard to find good club fitters in this area.

Well if you trust him thats good enough for me... I will make sure I get all my info today from the launch monitor and give you the details. Much appreciate your help with this JB as I have stated before, its hard to find good club fitters in this area.

No sweat. Tim Gillis' background really speaks for itself with decades in the shaft business and being a "higher up" with Graphite Design, Miyazaki, as well as a few others. He is the one behind that great article in the Spring Issue of the magazine on shafts, and has been on the THP radio show a few times sharing his knowledge and expertise with everybody.

Ok just got back and I was in heaven. Gotta say this is the coolest thing I have ever had the experience of concerning golfing. Back when I was really good and played 5x a week they didn't have tech like this so I had no idea. I showed up at 8:45 and watched them set up. It was really foggy and humid so not many people were playing and no one was on the range. They set up and I politely walked over and asked if when they were set up if they could let me know.

Well to make a long story short they were dead so I basically had a 2 hour consultation session involving everything from Driver heads, shafts, balls, etc. These guys were awesome. They were recommending me equipment other than Bridgestone, teaching me things I had no idea even affecting ball flight, swing, etc. I did end up buying a J38 3 wood with a X stiff Fujikura Motore, the pro shop had some pretty nice deals going on for the fitting.

Either way some lucky people may take stuff like this for granted when you are surrounded by it all day everyday, but this to me was simply amazing.

PS: I was fitted for the b330-S until I can get my backspin until control and then I should use the B330. He told me I should consider a LOW LOW torque shaft and I should find a driver head with full face grooves as this actually LOWERS ball spin which seems odd, but this guy sounded like he knew what he was talking about. I'll let Tim handle the shaft but does anyone have any head suggestions? :D

Last edited:

The more you keep avg joe in the dark the easier it is to sell him another driver next year. lol

I really liked the Motore 60 that is stock in the ST. Gave me great distance and I was able to hit pretty much every type of shot I tried with it. I think the stock shaft on the ST is a fantastic bargain.

What is the pink shaft that Bubba uses?

Back