Travelling With Clubs?

Travelling With Clubs?

• I put a plastic bag around my normal golf bag and off I go

Votes: 3 2.7%
  • I have a travel hybrid bag / hard case.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I have a soft travel cover --> works just fine!

Votes: 76 67.9%
  • I don't, I just rent

Votes: 7 6.3%

• Total voters
My daughter bought me a soft travel bag that zips completly open from Golf Galaxy a few years back, I have since added a stiff arm into the bag for support and protection of the clubs. It have flown to Florida with it twice and pilled it in the back of an SUV with the bud's for a weekend trip and no problems. The only thing I do is tape a the irons together , say 3 in a bundle , to keep them from rattling together to much. Now my last flight , AirTran, I had to sign a waver because it was a soft sided bag, but no problems. If you fly in the US do not lock the bag because when you check it security still looks inside the bag because both times I found a printed out note inside the bag thanking me for not locking it for the TSA inpection.

My daughter bought me a soft travel bag that zips completly open from Golf Galaxy a few years back, I have since added a stiff arm into the bag for support and protection of the clubs. It have flown to Florida with it twice and pilled it in the back of an SUV with the bud's for a weekend trip and no problems. The only thing I do is tape a the irons together , say 3 in a bundle , to keep them from rattling together to much. Now my last flight , AirTran, I had to sign a waver because it was a soft sided bag, but no problems. If you fly in the US do not lock the bag because when you check it security still looks inside the bag because both times I found a printed out note inside the bag thanking me for not locking it for the TSA inpection.

that is where TSA approved locks or straps come into play

I wish there was an other vote. I bring my putter and rent the rest. Sounds stupid but I'm stupid. hehehe

When my buddy won the WGT trip to Edgewood Tahoe, we shipped our clubs there via UPS. Cost less than the airline fees and they were there waiting for us when we arrived.

Just another option to consider....

When my buddy won the WGT trip to Edgewood Tahoe, we shipped our clubs there via UPS. Cost less than the airline fees and they were there waiting for us when we arrived.

Just another option to consider....

I looked at this option for Bandon, but if you added insurance (which is a must I believe), it was almost double the price for me.

I guess it depends on the distance travelled for shipping. We came out less than United's fees by using UPS.

Just goes to show that it pays off to shop around!

I fly with my clubs at least two times a month as they ARE my checked bag for my business trips. I've been flying with them constantly for 18 months. I have the following to travel with them:

Soft Bagboy travel cover with wheels and padded top and a stiff arm. I also wrap my club heads with two bath towels. I stick three sleeves of balls, my shoes (sometimes 2 pair of shoes) and all the other crap I keep in my bag and my clubs have always made it just fine and in perfect shape. Also, my soft cover has held up really well. I've only this last trip finally felt I needed to get a little extra patch put on one place.

A few tips for traveling with clubs: Don't cut your time getting the airport short. Get there 2 hours before your flight if you can. That way you can get your bag checked the airline AND TSA has enough time to get your bag to the airplane. Golf clubs are considered by the baggage handlers folks as "nice if it makes it but" types of luggage (got this from horse's mouth in form of Delta baggage handler I was chatting with plane side waiting for bags) If you check your bag less than 45 minutes chances are the baggage on your plane is already planeside waiting to get loaded and sometimes it takes TSA 40+ minutes to clear oversize bag so the baggage handlers don't have time to get the bag on before they have to have the plane ready to push back.

Get to your gate at least 30 minutes before your flight takes off. That way you can stand at the window and watch the bags being loaded. If you don't see your golf clubs, go to the gate agent and say something. I actually prevented my clubs from being left behind by noticing them sitting at the adjacent gate next to the wrong plane. They gate agent got word down to the tarmac and the baggage handlers went over and got my clubs onto my plane.

Don't lock your bag. Use zip ties. I've lost 6 TSA approved locks on my golf bag in the last 18 months because they have been cut off by TSA not unlocked even though TSA isn't suppose to do that. I've gotten a nice note in my golf bag with the cut off lock explaining that due to security measures my lock had to be cut, please don't lock your bags, yadayaydyada. I have yet for my clubs NOT to be searched in the 18 months. I've accepted this fact and the zip ties are much less than a new lock every trip.

I think I saw this mentioned before: Weigh your bag. My travel cover with my Ping stand bag, 12 clubs *the limit btw for most airlines*, three sleeves of balls, two pairs of shoes, and my other golf crap weighs 42lbs.

Print out the airline's policy of how they handle golf clubs and have it handy when you check in. No airline that I have flown (Delta, American, United, etc) charges any more for golf clubs than a normal checked bag ($25 - $35). HOWEVER, I have encountered quite a few gate agents/ticket counter folks who think golf clubs get dinged as oversize or excess baggage and have had to argue with them that it doesn't. By having the airline policy printed out, it has prevented me from getting charged double or triple what it should

Finally, have ID all over the place: one the bag, in the bag and in a few pockets of your golf bag. I've had the luggage tag be almost ripped off or unreadable a few times. That way if, for some unknown reason, you do have to file a lost bag claim with airlines, they have a much better chance of finding where/who your clubs belong to.

I've also used a luggage shipping company for my clubs a few times when I have been traveling to see my client in Sun Valley, ID. If your plane is a small prop plane, there is a better chance than if you are a jet that you may find your clubs needed to come on a different plane because of weight restrictions. Using the luggage shipping company in that case has been perfect because my clubs are there when I get there.

Hope this helps a few folks who are wondering if they should fly or ship their clubs and hard versus soft travel cases.

Thanks for the replies everyone.

The other thing I realized is that if all 4 of us bring our clubs, we probably need to rent a bigger car or rent two cars. When you add this to the cost of bringing the extra piece of luggage and the PIA factor of it all... Seriously thinking about renting clubs now (we're only planning to play two rounds... and we're all pretty terrible golfers...)

FU BU KI

Mary what do you mean when you typed:

I think I saw this mentioned before: Weigh your bag. My travel cover with my Ping stand bag, 12 clubs *the limit btw for most airlines*, three sleeves of balls, two pairs of shoes, and my other golf crap weighs 42lbs.

I have never seen listed anywhere a restriction on number of clubs I can take.

I've never seen it either, WR. As long as it's under 50 pounds. I have only flown with my clubs on Southwest, however. But the club limit doesn't seem right.

that is where TSA approved locks or straps come into play

TSA still cuts off "TSA Approved locks" because that was what all my locks were ;-) TSA agent told me that half the time an agent doesn't have all the TSA approved lock keys on them or they don't work. So don't waste your money on a TSA approved locks.

Mary what do you mean when you typed:

I have never seen listed anywhere a restriction on number of clubs I can take.

Northwest airlines had a policy of 12 clubs, appears Delta (who bought NorthWorst airlines, doesn't care) and American stipulates 14 clubs, 12 balls, and one pair of shoes: http://www.aa.com/i18n/travelInformation/baggage/baggageAllowance.jsp#SpecialtyItems

I use a soft case that I got at Golfsmith (tour trek). Not a ton of padding but I've traveled with it a few times with no issues. You can pick them up pretty cheap too. I think they started at $50 all the way up to $200.

Travel bags

Travel bags

I've never traveled with my clubs before so I'm looking for a good travel bag. Besides the THP outing I'll be going to Myrtle Bch in April and I want something that will protect my clubs for years to come. Any ideas?

I got a club glove something or another, like it, don't love it. Zipper fail.

But whatever you do, soft bag needs a stiff arm.

They have hard covers at academy for like 50 to 70 bucks. Those are about the best deals I've seen around for travel bags.

I would say check out the Wilson Staff ones, since they were gracious enough to donate to the 19 days of Holiday Cheer contest. I can tell you by looking at it, it was as nice as my Taylormade Player series travel bag I have.

I've never traveled with my clubs before so I'm looking for a good travel bag. Besides the THP outing I'll be going to Myrtle Bch in April and I want something that will protect my clubs for years to come. Any ideas?

Club Glove Last Bag. It's pricey, but it's worth it. My dad has the same bag as you do, the C130, and he's never had a problem traveling with his clubs. Club Glove also sells a smaller one, the BurstProof, which works great for my stand bag but may be too small for your bag. Also, get a stiff arm to extend past the length of your longest club, and unscrew the head on your R9 3-wood before you travel.

If you get a soft travel bag make sure you get a "stiff arm". They are only $25 or so and will protect your clubs very nicely. Here is what one looks like: http://www.golfio.com/golf-equipment/club-glove-stiff-arm/11876.htm

Agreed here. Best $25 or so investment. I have a GTB and it held up great on my travels on both coasts. I decided on a soft bag because it's much easier to lug around especially when you have to rent a car (the hardsiders take up a lot of room and sometimes can't fit if you rent the smaller cars). Don't just limit your searches to the golf retailers as some luggage retailers have them as well. I got mine on ebags.com because most of the time don't charge shipping and taxes and they have these % off coupons that come in handy. Good luck!

Back