Help on driver purchase

sethg

Reaction score
Handicap
I was planning on buying the new Adams 9064LS driver with the alpha RIP shaft in stiff. I hit an 8.5 and a 9.5 on the launch monitor. I hit the 8.5 better - longer, tighter dispersion. Am a bit nervous on moving down from historically playing a 9 to 9.5 degree in terms of the side spin and hitting fairways. Is there much of a difference between a degree of loft on keeping the ball in the fairway? I am probably being paranoid but its a big purchase so thought I would ask. Much appreciated

I was planning on buying the new Adams 9064LS driver with the alpha RIP shaft in stiff. I hit an 8.5 and a 9.5 on the launch monitor. I hit the 8.5 better - longer, tighter dispersion. Am a bit nervous on moving down from historically playing a 9 to 9.5 degree in terms of the side spin and hitting fairways. Is there much of a difference between a degree of loft on keeping the ball in the fairway? I am probably being paranoid but its a big purchase so thought I would ask. Much appreciated

Loft seems to not have AS MUCH of an effect on trajectory and spin as it did before. I think this is due to better advancements in tech with the shaft and club head design. I say trust the Launch monitor, science and math don't lie.

Very easy way to fix this. Since you have hit them both on the launch monitor. Get the numbers and go with what gives you the best launch combination. You can always tinker with the shaft to make sure you can bring the ball down if you need to.

My numbers were a bit better on the 8.5. I was hitting the ball well so am a bit worried on the dispersion over time. JB is your sense that a degree won't make a big difference on fairways hit? I have in my head that the lower the loft the harder it is to keep it in the fairway that may be and old technology kind of thing

My numbers were a bit better on the 8.5. I was hitting the ball well so am a bit worried on the dispersion over time. JB is your sense that a degree won't make a big difference on fairways hit? I have in my head that the lower the loft the harder it is to keep it in the fairway that may be and old technology kind of thing

Not sure I can answer that really for another golfer. But my rule of thumb is take more loft on a driver and use the shaft to bring the ball flight down.

Thanks JB. I know its hard to answer but does 1 degree of loft make much of a difference in accuracy?

Thanks JB. I know its hard to answer but does 1 degree of loft make much of a difference in accuracy?

Again, it can, and it cannot. It depends very much on the golfer and their launch angles.

Just like with flex, take as much as your swing can stand and fine tune launch with the shaft.

Back