glad to be back -- and new clubs/grips tearing my hands apart

jbardet

Addict
Reaction score
Handicap
i used to play or practice 3 - 5 times a week then went on a business trip and vacation for 5 weeks and didn't touch the new clubs (only fit in 18 holes before i left).

I got back and hit an x-large bucket and then played 9 holes yesterday and 9 holes again today. my hands are getting torn up by the new grips! is it the clubs or mostly because I haven't played for a while and my hands softened up? Either way, it's uncomfortable when I shoot.

QjIX1.jpg

boy i missed golf when i was away. happy to be back on the course and looking forward to improving my game! I have my first 1-hr lesson--with video swing analysis.

glad to also be back here posting!

Wow, that's pretty savage that your clubs are doing that. When I came back to golf a few months back I had a couple of blisters...but nothing like that. My problem was that my swing/grip wasn't very good which was causing the club to slide around in my hands slightly = lot of friction to irritate the skin.

Welcome back to THP though

That doesn't look right at all! How's your grip pressure? You've only been away 5 weeks, and this never happened before?

I'd be looking at the new grips first.

nope, never had more than a blister or two from golf. i wear a glove on my right hand (i'm left handed) and never had problems with blisters. pic is of my left hand.

i have relatively small hands and for whatever reason when i bought the clubs, the salesman goes "and we'll throw on 2 extra wraps on there" and I just said "um, ok." so maybe they are too big for me? is it possible to take the clubs in and to get a wrap taken off--for free? or would they charge me for a complete regrip?

I did just change my grip for the first time to the pinky lock but i feel like my grips are too big to get my hands around properly. that is if i understand what the grip is supposed to be. are the pinky and pointer finger supposed to lock at the webbing of the fingers or slightly higher towards the knuckle line... if that makes sense. ?

Sounds like the re-grip was just completely the wrong size for you. As the salesman has clearly sold you the wrong grips, I'd go back to the shop and ask/demand they fit you with the proper size grips. For no extra cost! If they kick up a fuss then a nice letter to their customer service dept should sort things out ;)

That sucks jbard! I just got one the other day after spending an hour in the simulator testing irons without a glove on..

So I definitely feel your pain!

I recall when I tried mid-sized grips I had to grip more tightly than usual to keep the grip in my hand. Maybe that's what you're doing?

BTW, you didn't say - what kind of grips did you get? Stock Cleveland? Aftermarket? I know that corded grips tear up hands.

Sounds like the re-grip was just completely the wrong size for you. As the salesman has clearly sold you the wrong grips, I'd go back to the shop and ask/demand they fit you with the proper size grips. For no extra cost! If they kick up a fuss then a nice letter to their customer service dept should sort things out ;)

+1 on this...especially if the salesman didn't measure your hand size or check what size glove you wear.

i vaguely remember him simply holding his hand up to mine. i THINK that happened, not sure if i'm imagining that though.

Welcome back JBard.
Sucks about your hands. Seems like it might be a combo off all of the above. I Don't play with a glove and I find inconsistent play will soften up the hands. Plus new grips have sharper edges around the grooves. (Just like a wedge I suppose)
If you're thinking about getting new grips check out the Winn DSI line. SUPER soft grips. I don't wear gloves and they feel like I'm gripping air.

i'll give the grips at least another 6 weeks or so and see if they got broken in a bit. also, my hands need to stop acting like they've never gotten dirty before.

sheesh:

day 3 -- 165 balls on the range. taped up with band-aids which were ripping so i wrapped them in scotch tape.
sfJhH.jpg

around 135 everything ripped off.
WYGJU.jpg

i'm in the middle of a major swing overall including a grip change, so I am hitting the ground often and lots LOTS of mishits. blisters were affecting confidence quite a bit and the mishits made them worse.

Last edited:
I practice for an hour or two three to four days a week and play alot of golf period. I don't wear a golf glove at all and i guess my hands have built up the skin where it's suppose to be tough :eek:)... Now I do wear two gloves in the cold winter months as my hands get so dry and those paper cuts start appearing. No blisters at all during regular golf season.

OK perhaps I should start a new thread but instead I'll hijack my own thread. i've just chugged coffee so i'm feeling pretty good.

HOW LONG DOES A SWING CHANGE TAKE? and how ugly is the path to the finish line??? is it a huge mental struggle?

What i'm trying to do is take my swing plane from too up and down, causing me to cast and slice the ball, to more outside and well -- how it's supposed to be. i hit it so well a number of times that i know the potential is there to hit it nice and straight. but right now the change feels so unnatural and drastic. it feels like my club is swinging horizontal and parallel to the ground!! i'm only exaggerating a little.

another random question: when you do a video swing lesson, does the instructor provide you the videos on CD or DVD or something? that would be great.

OUCH jbardet, that looks painful. have you had your lesson yet? maybe your teaching pro can give you more specific advice for your grips & grip pressure.

get some athletic tape like this(see below) and tear stripes off and wrap around your fingers, I do this when I haul hay or when buliding fence and it helps alot.

Some athletic tape is made better than others, and there are different colors to..

Put a bandaid on them since you already have blisters then wrap that tape over the top (in stripes, not the whole width of the tape) tight and you should be good. Just do a 2-3 wraps over each spot.

athletic-tape1.jpg

OK perhaps I should start a new thread but instead I'll hijack my own thread. i've just chugged coffee so i'm feeling pretty good.

HOW LONG DOES A SWING CHANGE TAKE? and how ugly is the path to the finish line??? is it a huge mental struggle?

What i'm trying to do is take my swing plane from too up and down, causing me to cast and slice the ball, to more outside and well -- how it's supposed to be. i hit it so well a number of times that i know the potential is there to hit it nice and straight. but right now the change feels so unnatural and drastic. it feels like my club is swinging horizontal and parallel to the ground!! i'm only exaggerating a little.

another random question: when you do a video swing lesson, does the instructor provide you the videos on CD or DVD or something? that would be great.

Swing change: My personal swing change has been a work in progress going on four months. Some take longer and it does get agravating. It depends on what you want out of your golf swing. I could shoot good rounds with my old swing however my overall game was too inconsistant. The old swing could break down under pressure. My new swing is more compact, put's less stress on the old man, and is much more consistant off the tee. It's working very well now, but you know how golf can be fickle :beat-up:.. Hang in there and good luck with your new swing. My golf coach took a video of my swing to show the difference between how it was and how it should be. Video is a great tool for teaching as the camera shows the real deal... A good golf coach can get you on the right track. Andy on here is great at helping us in the "Ask the Pro" section. Good luck!

For me, 5 years and counting. By year 2 I had it going pretty nicely. Year 3 it came undone. Years 4 and 5 have been a terrible struggle. I would pay $5,000 to get my swing from 5 years ago back. Now don't let that discourage you, but be careful what you wish/try for. Tiger recently said his previous swing changes took between 1 and 2 years, and he plays golf for a living, and pretty well I might add. And he is currently hesitant to attempt another swing-change, though he is thinking about it.

On the blisters: You have to give them some time to heal, I think! I doubt you'll do your swing much good hitting 150+ balls wounded! And I am not surprised you got them after a layoff. Hands might have gone a bit soft, swing might be a bit off, you are making grip changes: All of that contributes.

hit the range today. fingers felt fine because i was actually hitting the ball well. the new swing showed me that it works. coudn't believe how well i hit the first 80 balls or so. but then i got tired.

Back