And nobody would have ever known.

Esox

Reaction score
Handicap
Say some of the rules of golf are stupid if you want, but here's a young man from Cheeseland who knew he needed to take his medicine. I've been to a lot of these tournaments, and most of the kids are serious players that take the soul of the game very seriously.

A lot of golf fans are rooting for Tiger Woods to find his game. Many in Wisconsin are pulling for Steve Stricker to win the FedEx Cup title. In early October, partisan fans will be cheering for the U.S. (or Europe) to win the Ryder Cup.

Me?

I hope Zack Nash has a standout freshman season on the Waterford Union High School golf team next spring.

It's hard not to root for Nash once you know about his recent act of sportsmanship, one that goes to the very heart of golf and speaks to the game's inherent values.

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/golf/101941838.html

Good thing he speaks english

How did he not know his friends 5wood was in his bag? I mean its not a wedge that can hide under a couple of irons or a towel. And he didnt step up until someone asked him "Whats this"? Good job kid for doing the right thing, but Im not completely on board with this story.

what a great kid, and what great promise for his future. thanks for sharing that.

Thanks for sharing. Great story and I hope he goes far wherever his life leads him.

Tough luck for the kid, but he did the right thing.

How did he not know his friends 5wood was in his bag? I mean its not a wedge that can hide under a couple of irons or a towel. And he didnt step up until someone asked him "Whats this"? Good job kid for doing the right thing, but Im not completely on board with this story.

This is true. However, major props to him for doing what he did anyway!!

How? Dont think they would lie about something like this.

Good to hear that some of the younger crowd is taking the sportsmanship of the game seriously. I've coached high schoolers, and it seems hit or miss with ethics and morals. Some kids will deliberately lie on their scorecards, while others will give themselves a penalty in a heartbeat, even if it was unintentional. This game is centuries old, and to think that, somehow, you are above the "stupid" rules, is mind boggling.

Good for him. Is he on THP?

The kid did the right thing................once he got caught.

How can you play a full 18-holes without noticing a five wood. I just think the kids getting too much credit because I personally doubt we wouldve heard anything of this if he hadnt have gotten caught.
How? Dont think they would lie about something like this.

Oh, and in all fairness, I've played with a 15th club in my bag before accidentally. I was comparing my old 7 iron to my newer set, and forgot to take it out of my bag after the range session. I didnt discover it until about halfway through my next round. I wasnt playing a tourney or keeping a handicap, but it does happen!

The only real instance i can see this happening is in either JBs or OEMs bag. Im surprised they can keep track of whats supposed to be in there or not!

I guess thats what the thp signature is for...

The kid did the right thing................once he got caught.

How can you play a full 18-holes without noticing a five wood. I just think the kids getting too much credit because I personally doubt we wouldve heard anything of this if he hadnt have gotten caught.
Idk what to say, guess you have never heard of just doing the right thing because its right, and not trying to make yourself look good because you got "caught".

The kid clearly plays alot of golf. 36 holes a day to be exact so he probably knows exactly were each club is in his bag and doesnt pay a world of attention to another club when he is reaching for his. Just grabs it like he normally does sets up hits his shot and puts it back in his bag and walks.

I just dont get how you can degrade a kid and call him a liar. Your saying the kid knew he had 15 clubs and knew he was in the wrong then once he got caught he tried to make himself look good by giving it all back. I think thats messed up and hell the kid didnt even use the club.

EDIT: Also if the kid knew he had 15 clubs, he would have taken that thing out as quick as the tourney was over, not get in the car take a ride over to his home course and show his golf pro his trophy and bring his bag out so it could be seen.

I have 'heard' of doing the right thing, and Id like to say I follow the rules of golf pretty closely. I think theres more to the story. You dont. But that doesnt mean I dont have the class or upstanding of doing the right thing because its right.

Brian Davis did the right thing, so did Furyk when he found the club.

All i can keep going over in my head is the fact that the kid wanted to get back to the country club, and get the club in the lost in found so he was home free.

If you feel Im calling him a liar, thats on you. But when a kid looks at his bag 77 times a round, if not more, chances are youll spot sometihng eventually. Not after you sign a scorecard. Not to mention its not the smallest club in the bag.

If he realized it on the 18th hole? Fine. But someone else realized it, after he signed the scorecard. Uh-oh, Johnny got caught.

Either or, this is my theory. And good on the kid for DQ'ing himself.
Idk what to say, guess you have never heard of just doing the right thing because its right, and not trying to make yourself look good because you got "caught".

The kid clearly plays alot of golf. 36 holes a day to be exact so he probably knows exactly were each club is in his bag and doesnt pay a world of attention to another club when he is reaching for his. Just grabs it like he normally does sets up hits his shot and puts it back in his bag and walks.

I just dont get how you can degrade a kid and basically call him a liar. Your saying the kid knew he had 15 clubs and knew he was in the wrong then once he got caught he tried to make himself look good by giving it all back. I think thats messed up and hell the kid didnt even use the club.

I have 'heard' of doing the right thing, and Id like to say I follow the rules of golf pretty closely. I think theres more to the story. You dont. But that doesnt mean I dont have the class or upstanding of doing the right thing because its right.

Brian Davis did the right thing, so did Furyk when he found the club.

All i can keep going over in my head is the fact that the kid wanted to get back to the country club, and get the club in the lost in found so he was home free.

If you feel Im calling him a liar, thats on you. But when a kid looks at his bag 77 times a round, if not more, chances are youll spot sometihng eventually. Not after you sign a scorecard. Not to mention its not the smallest club in the bag.

If he realized it on the 18th hole? Fine. But someone else realized it, after he signed the scorecard. Uh-oh, Johnny got caught.

Either or, this is my theory. And good on the kid for DQ'ing himself.

But you are calling him a liar. Your saying what he said isnt right, that means your calling him a liar.

You think what you want, not trying to tell you what to think. But I think its ridiculous for you to say he tried to get back sneak in and put the club in the lost in found. He didnt even use it on the course.

I never said his intent was to get back to the clubhouse to put it in the LAF, but thats what it makes me think. Heres what I think.

I think the kid tried to get away with it. You just dont not see a 5wood. Its right there, it probably has a vibrant headcover that will help you not see it. I think people are blind not to see things my way honestly on this subject. The kid is getting way too much benefit of the doubt.
But you are calling him a liar. Your saying what he said isnt right, that means your calling him a liar.

You think what you want, not trying to tell you what to think. But I think its ridiculous for you to say he tried to get back sneak in and put the club in the lost in found. He didnt even use it on the course.

Whether he used it is regardless.

I honestly just think that the kid didnt think of the 14 club rule. SO when it was pointed out to him, he knew he had to do the right thing. I dont think he cheated on purpose, I think he just had a brain fart. I am sure he saw the club all 77 times but just never had it run through his head. If he is this serious about golf, he would have taken it out ahead of time. Anyone would. So, I dont agree or disagree with Thainer or Bridges, I am just saying what I think happened

I never said his intent was to get back to the clubhouse to put it in the LAF, but thats what it makes me think. Heres what I think.

Actually that is exactly what you said. Here is your quote.

I think the kid tried to get away with it. You just dont not see a 5wood. Its right there, it probably has a vibrant headcover that will help you not see it. I think people are blind not to see things my way honestly on this subject. The kid is getting way too much benefit of the doubt.

Whether he used it is regardless.

Then why didn't he remove it the moment he was out of sight of the course????

Jeeze... some people just have to try and ruin a good deed by attaching an ulterior motive to something which they know absolutely nothing about. Why don't you take you unfounded suspicions and .... well you get the picture. :angry:

JB said exactly what I was going to say, we have a big storm here now so had to switch to my phone. But you said word for word he was trying to get back to put the club in the lost and found but then you say something completely different next.

Seriously why would the kid keep a 5 wood that he doesn't use in his bag for the whole round and not even use it? His buddy forgot to take all the clubs out that he was using the day before and the kid did not realize it till it got pointed out because he didn't think any thing of it while he was trying to win a tournament. Hell I have left a 3w on the tee box before and it took me a whole round until I remembered and it's a 3 wood like you said not hard to miss but I didn't think anything of it while playing. Did it maybe occur to you that the club was stuck in the same slot as say his 3w and he didn't use a 3w all day, so 3w could have covered it from view or hell maybe he did see it but didn't think anything of it, Until it was pointed out, but what ur saying is like he intentionally tried to make him self look good for doing something bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thats what it made me think of, but thats not what i think actually what was intended.
Actually that is exactly what you said. Here is your quote.

Thats what it made me think of, but thats not what i think actually what was intended.

I think using the word "fact" may have confused people. You said "is the fact that the kid wanted to....".

The only fact, is that those are not the facts, but rather an assumption on your part and what you were thinking.

You know when you read something twice because it doesnt make sense the first time?

I just did that and it still didnt make sense the second time :D

Definitely. I do use that word pretty loosely in my vocabulary.
I think using the word "fact" may have confused people. You said "is the fact that the kid wanted to....".

The only fact, is that those are not the facts, but rather an assumption on your part and what you were thinking.

Back