Could Phil be leaving Callaway?

TC

Keg Thrower
Reaction score
Handicap
it was around this time, 5 years ago, that phil mickelson left titleist for callaway. phil seems to be in a bit of a stale state as of late, and with the news of his arthritis looming, could changing OEM's be a good, positive change for him? if anything, could it just be something to occupy his mind (equipment change, tinkering, experimenting, etc.)?

if he did leave callaway, who would be a good fit for him? who would you like to see him partner up with, and why?

I rather see him stay put with Callaway

I don't see it happening tc, I think you're high on crack.

i'm just throwing it out there P4B, was thinking about what's going on with the guy and my mind just went this direction.

I think it was 6 years ago. Is this his contract year, TC? Or were you thinking he might just breach, etc?

I think with what Phil has been going through with regards to his and his families health the past few years, he would look at continuity as a positive. I don't see him changing and bringing more stress into his life.

Last edited:
I think it was 6 years ago. Is this his contract year, TC? Or were you thinking he might just breach, etc?

i have no idea to what extent his contract is with callaway. like i said, i was just thinking about it today. i'm not sure who he would want to go with or if he even wants to, but i know the man likes to tinker and have a lot of input so i just kept thinking who would be a good complimentary company for that or who could really benefit from adding a guy like phil to their stable?

i have no idea to what extent his contract is with callaway. like i said, i was just thinking about it today. i'm not sure who he would want to go with or if he even wants to, but i know the man likes to tinker and have a lot of input so i just kept thinking who would be a good complimentary company for that or who could really benefit from adding a guy like phil to their stable?

Ah. Interesting stuff. Hmm.. perhaps those people he is meeting with instead of playing in the proam include execs from other stables. [Stirring the pot]

Ah. Interesting stuff. Hmm.. perhaps those people he is meeting with instead of playing in the proam include execs from other stables. [Stirring the pot]

possible huh? i read somewhere that two fairly small equipment manufacturers are looking to add "a major winner" to their stable. i can't recall where for the life of me (i get swarms of emails and newsletters delivered daily from all sorts of golf related sites) but the two companies that were mentioned were cobra/puma and scratch.

edit: and it seems as thoug cobra/puma has a lot of $$$$'s to throw at someone big.

Yonex. He could put them on the map.

Kevin

It does not seem like he has been into going small with his club deal at least based on past experience. I don’t know but Nike maybe if he were to leave Callaway. Again I don’t think he would be interested in leaving Callaway but Nike or maybe Cobra. Did he have issues when he left Titlist? If not I would guess there would be nothing stopping him from going back there. I would think he would be the biggest fish in whatever pond he would land in. TW is an enterprise unto himself so there is what Tiger endorses and then there is everybody else.

Lefty and Tigger both with Nike, just cant see it

I keep thinking that the TW line will someday be a full all encompassing line all by itself making for Nike guys and TW with well TW.

I don't think changing OEM's would do a thing for him.

possible huh? i read somewhere that two fairly small equipment manufacturers are looking to add "a major winner" to their stable.

So look out for Cobra signing Michael Campbell and Todd Hamilton! :wink:

I don’t know but Nike maybe if he were to leave Callaway.

I really don't see either Phil or Nike being keen on a deal, what with Phil being credited with calling Nike equipment 'inferior'.

No, he still has time left on his deal.

It does not seem like he has been into going small with his club deal at least based on past experience. I don’t know but Nike maybe if he were to leave Callaway. Again I don’t think he would be interested in leaving Callaway but Nike or maybe Cobra. Did he have issues when he left Titlist? If not I would guess there would be nothing stopping him from going back there. I would think he would be the biggest fish in whatever pond he would land in. TW is an enterprise unto himself so there is what Tiger endorses and then there is everybody else.

It would NEVER be Nike. Remember the comment from years ago. That you know TW is that great when he is winning with inferior equipment.

I don't think changing OEM's would do a thing for him.

Me neither.

There was talk about this like most rumors start around the net a few weeks ago. it was cleared up when people saw his contract multi years left on his deal. Not only is their time left and he is not the breach kind of guy, but lets not forget just how much he makes from Callaway. A lot more than many of these other companies even come close to paying one person.

Cobra/Puma did say that they are going to add players, but they are surely going to go youth and I can see a major winner as well. But not a multiple major winner. And you know they are going to have to add stars, because their biggest just left and their 2nd biggest only has 2011 left on his deal and has not renewed and most dont think he will either.

possible huh? i read somewhere that two fairly small equipment manufacturers are looking to add "a major winner" to their stable. i can't recall where for the life of me (i get swarms of emails and newsletters delivered daily from all sorts of golf related sites) but the two companies that were mentioned were cobra/puma and scratch.

edit: and it seems as thoug cobra/puma has a lot of $$$$'s to throw at someone big.

At the beginning of this thread ,I thought you had drank too many tall Miller High Lifes :clown:, however with this statement my ears perked up. I think Cobra would be an interesting move for Lefty! Of course I am not biased in any form or fashion. I just would like to see him happy and wearing a snake hat :cowboy:!

Interesting question. I don't think that Phil will leave because Callaway just seems to fit him. But, if he were to leave, the only OEM I would see him going with is TM.

Yonex. He could put them on the map.

Kevin

I remember waayy back when Phil gamed Yonex clubs - he was the only pro I remember ever playing Yonex. Does any pro play Yonex today?

I remember waayy back when Phil gamed Yonex clubs - he was the only pro I remember ever playing Yonex. Does any pro play Yonex today?

I'm sure there will be a fair few in Asia. Monty's been with them for a few years. Think he's still there?

I dont think Phil fits the Nike look. or TM for that matter. Callaway just seems to fit him better than his shirts.

Ignore

Phil will be with Bridgestone by 2012

I'm sure there will be a fair few in Asia. Monty's been with them for a few years. Think he's still there?

He had a Yonex bag at the Open Championship...with that strange-looking clear rain hood on it.

Phil really sings Callaway's praises on his website. I could even believe a someday minority stake in the company on his part...

Back