Deutsche Bank Championship [Spoilers]

Puttin4Bird

Say what again mf'er!
Reaction score
Handicap
3.5 GHIN
Alright boys and girls, another great week of FedEx Cup playoffs! Who's going to win and who else LOVES the playoffs? I'm really thinking that it's hiding it's stride with everyone really starting to like it. I for one love it! Is Matt Kuchar going to add to his brand new FedEx Cup lead or will Furyk make up for lost time last week and get a win? How about Tiger and Phil, how will they do?

I went to the the practice round today (hot, hot, hot, 97 degrees)...never had been to one before...pretty cool to see the guys close up without big crowds...observations that struck me were 1. the smooth tempo of their swings (more obvious in person vs. TV) 2. equipment used (ex. Bridgestone guy C. Howell using TM SuperTri and TM Staffer Chris Couch with G15 irons) and 3. the launch on tee shots with drivers looked to the naked eye much higher than I expected...was able to watch Sean Foley working with Ames then Mahan...good day

That is awesome! I've been to a few pro events and it is amazing to me at just how good they are. Practice rounds are really fun because you get to see a lighter side of everyone. You're right about the trajectory of their shots, they have so much control over it that it just blows me away, they can hit their 3 irons higher than I can hit my pitching wedge!

What a neat way to spend the day. Gee I wonder if there are tickets for any of the play days and wonder if my healing back will stand up to a full day out there spectating. It is sooooo close I might have to try to find a way to go if my back will take it.

One word. Steve Stricker. He's going to build on the momentum of the last two rounds of The Barclays.

Kevin

Surely that's two words Kev? :wink:

This could be a real interesting one, almost like the one that determines the 'cut line' for the playoffs. Players jostling for position within the standings. Don't have a favourite in mind just yet.

A 12 year old girl I know is playing in the pro am today. Last year she was paired with Camillo Villegas. I don't know who she is paired with this year, but since her team won last year she was invited back. CV was very impressed with her game, and said it was the most fun he ever had in a pro am.

My brother has Marshalled this event for the past few years and is back there again this year. Long days, cool stuff.

A 12 year old girl I know is playing in the pro am today. Last year she was paired with Camillo Villegas. I don't know who she is paired with this year, but since her team won last year she was invited back. CV was very impressed with her game, and said it was the most fun he ever had in a pro am.

Is this the girl you have been talking about in another thread? What an exciting experience at age 12!

Anybody streaming it today? ESPN 3 is streaming tomorrow.

Is this the girl you have been talking about in another thread? What an exciting experience at age 12!
Yes it is. She really enjoyed herself last year and she and her team won the event so they were invited back this year. The weather is perfect today, though hot, so I'm sure she'll have a lot of fun.

I was talking to her dad yesterday on the range and watching her hit driver. Every shot was right down the middle and about 230 yards. She's little too.

I don't know if I mentioned it, but she played in the US Girls Junior Amateur in July at Pinehurst (up to 18 years old) and finished third in the two day medal play (shooting a 70 and 73).

I'll be curious to find out who she was paired with this year.

Gah, I just realized that it was a 3 day weekend. Gees I am dumb.

Hang in there Setho, I did too and its always my Birthday weekend, lmao. How do I forget about that?

I'm with Kevin on this one, Stricker all the way and Hunter Mahan will make a big showing.

I just saw on Twitter that the PGA Tour believe Kenny Perry has withdrawn from the DB Championship.

PGATOUR

Word from @DBChampionship is Kenny Perry has withdrawn, citing mental and physical exhaustion. Perry was 90th in #FedExCup points. #pgatour

I just saw on Twitter that the PGA Tour believe Kenny Perry has withdrawn from the DB Championship.

PGATOUR

Word from @DBChampionship is Kenny Perry has withdrawn, citing mental and physical exhaustion. Perry was 90th in #FedExCup points. #pgatour
In this case, does someone take his place? Does the person who was 101 get to play?

In this case, does someone take his place? Does the person who was 101 get to play?

No one replaces him, the tournament is just 1 less player now, as far as I understand.

A great question, if they do they'll be quite excited I'm sure, to go from not qualifying to getting in for another week and a chance to get back in the race, very nice.

PGATOUR

Someone at his golf course in Kentucky called in sick. Now he's gotta go back and run the register. It sucks being a small business owner. :D

For the FEDEX playoffs, I wish they would do tee time groupings base on FEDEX Rank, for the first 2 rounds...at least for those players that are "on the bubble". I understand keeping marquee teetimes for TV purposes. But, let the grinders face off against each other on Thursday and Friday. I think it would add a little to the broadcast, if one of those groups gets some airtime and the Feherty/McCord start talking smack about #100 is 2 shots up on #99 and 3 up on #98, thru 14.

Or pair #100 with #70, #99 w/ #69,etc., since 100 players are invited but 70 is the cutoff for the next event.

It would be a nice change of pace instead of repeating slow mo's of Joe Bob's swing where Nobilo says he's laid off at the top. But, Chamblee likes how he transitions back into the slot. What a beating that becomes.

For the FEDEX playoffs, I wish they would do tee time groupings base on FEDEX Rank, for the first 2 rounds...at least for those players that are "on the bubble". I understand keeping marquee teetimes for TV purposes. But, let the grinders face off against each other on Thursday and Friday. I think it would add a little to the broadcast, if one of those groups gets some airtime and the Feherty/McCord start talking smack about #100 is 2 shots up on #99 and 3 up on #98, thru 14.

Or pair #100 with #70, #99 w/ #69,etc., since 100 players are invited but 70 is the cutoff for the next event.

It would be a nice change of pace instead of repeating slow mo's of Joe Bob's swing where Nobilo says he's laid off at the top. But, Chamblee likes how he transitions back into the slot. What a beating that becomes.

In the FEDEX Cup playoffs, the guys are put into threesomes based on their Fedex Cup rankings. It's why Tiger was first of the tee on Thursday morning last week, he was so low in the rankings that he got slotted into one of the "non-marquee" groups. Here's a listing of all of the tee times for this week, note that the 1-2-3 guys in the Fedex Cup (Kuchar, Stricker, Laird) are in a group together, and so on: http://www.pgatour.com/tournaments/r505/tee-times.html

Back