Ping Enters Agreement with Apple

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
This is a press release

PING and its parent company, Karsten Manufacturing Corporation, announced today that they have entered into an agreement with Apple under which Apple will use the PING trademark in connection with Apple's innovative new social music discovery feature in iTunes. Apple introduced the iTunes PING feature today.

Founded in 1959, PING is a famous premium brand that holds more than 1000 trademark registrations around the world, many related to golf equipment. The company also owns trademark rights in PING for social networking and other online services.

This announcement involves two companies that were founded by visionaries who created products that greatly impacted their industries. Karsten Solheim invented the PING® putter in his Redwood City, California garage and went on to revolutionize the golf equipment industry. The groundbreaking first Apple® computer was developed in nearby Palo Alto in 1976.

"We are pleased to enter into this agreement with Apple," said John Solheim, Chairman and CEO of Karsten Manufacturing Corporation and PING. "Like PING, Apple carries a reputation for innovation and quality. I have always had great respect for companies that have changed and improved the ways things are done and I continue to model PING along those lines. Apple is a truly great example of this kind of enterprise."

Im not sure I understand this.. is Apple just using PING for its own enrichment? Which sounds about right for Apple. :confused2:

I think this could be awesome for the PING brand. It might not have anything to do with golf, but it'll make PING a household name, and might just grab them a lot of players just picking up the game.

I don't know if its me...but I don't understand it

so it actually has close to nothing to do with Ping golf? They are just using the name? If this app become big, will Ping golf be a household name or will Ping Music App be the more household name?

so it actually has close to nothing to do with Ping golf? They are just using the name? If this app become big, will Ping golf be a household name or will Ping Music App be the more household name?

Nothing as far as I can see. It'll be Ping music for sure. BUT, anyone who currently plays golf will associate the 2, and have the Ping name in their head. Anyone taking up the game might find themselves thinking 'Ping' before learning about any other brand.

So, they just bought rights to use the name?

Oddly enough, as soon as I heard about Apple's "Ping", golf's PING never crossed my mind. The only thing I could think was how much it sounded like Bing, the MS search engine.

Apple are using ping in reference to the network admin utility that lets you test the existence of a host at an IP address or DNS name. This ping in turn derives its name from the sonar 'ping'.
PING the golf brand are only involved because they own the trademark to that word. Their press statement riding on the back of Apple is hilarious corporate double speak. They shouldn't be allowed to trademark the word beyond golf stuff, it's ridiculous they've been allowed to trademark it for use in 'social networking and other online services' when it's obvious that the use of the word in that context has nothing to do with their brand. Trademark and Copyright laws are a joke.

From Apple.

The biggest shift to iTunes is the introduction of a social networking feature called Ping, which allows users to recommend songs to followers or their chosen circle of friends.
"It's Facebook and Twitter meets iTunes. It's a social network all about music," Jobs said at a presentation to unveil the products on Wednesday.

Trademark and Copyright laws are a joke.

Bit too sweeping a statement there! They protect a lot of the 'little guys' from the 'big guys' in more occasions than they seem irrational.

I think Ping have exploited it a little here, but can only benefit.

Oddly enough, as soon as I heard about Apple's "Ping", golf's PING never crossed my mind. The only thing I could think was how much it sounded like Bing, the MS search engine.

This is so true. Shows the marketing might of Apple and their products.

Bit too sweeping a statement there! They protect a lot of the 'little guys' from the 'big guys' in more occasions than they seem irrational.

I think Ping have exploited it a little here, but can only benefit.

Yes they sure do.

You think so? Any system that allows abuse such as we're getting in this example needs sweeping change. There's plenty of other instances of this sort of nonsense going on, see Apple's patent wars with Google for example.
This doesn't necessarily mean we have to abandon the little guy - it's a logical fallacy to suggest that we can't have the good without the bad.

Anyway, I'm getting off topic. It's a bugbear of mine.

You think so? Any system that allows abuse such as we're getting in this example needs sweeping change. There's plenty of other instances of this sort of nonsense going on, see Apple's patent wars with Google for example.
This doesn't necessarily mean we have to abandon the little guy - it's a logical fallacy to suggest that we can't have the good without the bad.

Anyway, I'm getting off topic. It's a bugbear of mine.

I'm just thinking along the lines of small technology companies having their ideas 'assimilated' into products then marketed by the 'big guys' as their own. Financial muscle being thrown around and all that. It's nowhere near ideal, and change couldn't make it too much worse without trying hard, mind you!
But you're right, off topic and for another day. :D

Ok, I'm lost on this one. Score one for PING I guess. Who would've though this would happen??

BUT, anyone who currently plays golf will associate the 2, and have the Ping name in their head.

Disagree. Blackberry Messenger Service has been using a "ping" service for years. At no point in time did I ever associate that service with the golf company (until I just read your post). It is more likely that Ping wanted some cash and Apple was willing to pay for the use of the ping trademark. Having "ping" on the brain was probably a factor in their decision, but I don't think that many golfers will associate the two.

Disagree. Blackberry Messenger Service has been using a "ping" service for years. At no point in time did I ever associate that service with the golf company (until I just read your post). It is more likely that Ping wanted some cash and Apple was willing to pay for the use of the ping trademark. Having "ping" on the brain was probably a factor in their decision, but I don't think that many golfers will associate the two.

I agree, but at the same time, the "ping" service from blackberry is very different. It is hidden away in the BBM and its not exactly called the "Ping Service".

Apples is going to RUN with the word Ping and I do think that the connection will have a presence. Lets not forget Apple fans and their "diehardness".

I mean there were many things called a Pod before, but what does anyone think of now?

I mean there were many things called a Pod before, but what does anyone think of now?

Sure, I think of i-pod. Agree. But that doesn't make me associate an i-pod with the storage unit, PODS. And that is what I was disagreeing with Paulo about. I don't think using an i-pod will provide a greater incentive or awareness of PODS storage units, just like I don't think ping music will be associated with ping golf clubs.

Sure, I think of i-pod. Agree. But that doesn't make me associate an i-pod with the storage unit, PODS. And that is what I was disagreeing with Paulo about. I don't think using an i-pod will provide a greater incentive or awareness of PODS storage units, just like I don't think ping music will be associated with ping golf clubs.

But lets say that PODS storage unites were in a marketing deal with Apple. I think that it could change. The goal for Ping in my opinion is brand awareness. And if the word Pod makes us think of Ipod. They are banking on the word Ping will make them think of the partnership.

But lets say that PODS storage unites were in a marketing deal with Apple. I think that it could change. The goal for Ping in my opinion is brand awareness. And if the word Pod makes us think of Ipod. They are banking on the word Ping will make them think of the partnership.

As far as I can tell, Apple is just paying for use of the name/trademark PING. There isn't some type of joint marketing venture that I am aware of. Apple just wanted to use a cool name, just as BBM. Apple had to pay a golf company off to use that name. Doesn't appear to be a "marketing deal."

As far as I can tell, Apple is just paying for use of the name/trademark PING. There isn't some type of joint marketing venture that I am aware of. Apple just wanted to use a cool name, just as BBM. Apple had to pay a golf company off to use that name. Doesn't appear to be a "marketing deal."

Its not a marketing deal. Like I said, I think Ping is "banking" on that. That the word Ping will become synonymous with pop culture similar to that of the Pod. And that would "translate" into the younger crowd having a brand awareness idea when it comes to golf.

Its not a marketing deal. Like I said, I think Ping is "banking" on that. That the word Ping will become synonymous with pop culture similar to that of the Pod. And that would "translate" into the younger crowd having a brand awareness idea when it comes to golf.

I am calling poppycock on what PING might be banking on. I think it will have as much effect that an I-pod has on people using PODS storage, or that a MAC has on people purchasing "Mac Knives" or and IPad will have on puchasing... well, let's leave that one alone. Needless to say, I say it is little more than no impact.

Based on some of the trademarks that Ping (golf) sits on -- including social network and file sharing -- I think it may have more to do with PING (golf) being aware of the potential backlash from registering a file sharing trademark a couple months ago and then selling the use of it for a profit. By sending an opportunistic PR Newswire, it makes it seem like they think there will be a huge marketing initiative, when in reality, they just got a load of cash.

From Apple's perspective, they just didn't want to be sued like they were for the iphone.

Back