Golf pants for the larger gentleman

fen_boy

Not a clown.
Reaction score
Handicap
Fore right
I have a 42" waist at the moment, trying to lose it, but that's another story.

Does anyone have any recommendations for golf pants, or to give them their correct name 'golf trousers', for the larger gentleman?

Need to be full length trousers as it's mostly too cold for shorts over here.

If your recommendations don't ship to the U.K then post them anyway, I'm sure there's other fatties lurking that would appreciate the info.

I can live with looking like IJP, but draw the line at looking like a fat clown a la John Daly.

Also, why am I an XL in golf shirts (not even XXL) and yet no-one seems to make trousers above a 40" waist?

Tons of brands sell in a 42. In fact the only ones that dont seem to be the Euro cut lines and I am not sure with the cut of the apparel you would want to go that route. Almost all of the larger brands, no pun intended, go up to 44 from what we have seen in their sell sheet catalogs. Nike, adidas, Ashworth, etc...

Maybe it's just a U.K thing then, I can't seem to get anything above a 40 over here. Also it's probably worth mentioning that I'm fairly tall with it and have a 34" inside leg.

I don't know if they sell them over there, but Walter Hagen pants have a stretch waist. I actually wear them a size smaller than normal and they fit great.

I have a 42" waist at the moment, trying to lose it, but that's another story.

Does anyone have any recommendations for golf pants, or to give them their correct name 'golf trousers', for the larger gentleman?

Need to be full length trousers as it's mostly too cold for shorts over here.

If your recommendations don't ship to the U.K then post them anyway, I'm sure there's other fatties lurking that would appreciate the info.

I can live with looking like IJP, but draw the line at looking like a fat clown a la John Daly.

Also, why am I an XL in golf shirts (not even XXL) and yet no-one seems to make trousers above a 40" waist?

fen I gather you live on the other side of the pond? Take a trip over here to fatty country.
40" is definitly NOT the largest available size in most clothing stores.
(insert fat american joke here.....)

do they have to be golf specific? I'm not exactly sure what golf pants offer that regular pants don't

do they have to be golf specific? I'm not exactly sure what golf pants offer that regular pants don't

This is a good point. I've been wearing the trousers I've bought at an outdoor/camping store and they do just fine, but whilst they're technically OK they've not really got the golf style I'm looking for. Like I said before, think fat IJP rather than John Daly. IJP does offer custom trousers > 40" so maybe I could try those - expensive though.

Last edited:
fen I gather you live on the other side of the pond? Take a trip over here to fatty country.
40" is definitly NOT the largest available size in most clothing stores.
(insert fat american joke here.....)

Whatever happens in America happens here 10 years later anyway, so I guess I could just wait.

I don't know if they sell them over there, but Walter Hagen pants have a stretch waist. I actually wear them a size smaller than normal and they fit great.

After a brief search it seems these are tricky to get hold of over here.

There are many differences in general terms.

Different materials - You definitely want a good pant that has some technical materials to wick moisture away. You also want them to be breathable.

Different cut - A lot of golf companies are now cutting their pants differently because of the movement that is used during a golf swing.

So, I went to a local sports store today and they had Dunlop golf trousers up to 50" waist. No 42" ones though.

Also, I might try Sub Seventy they'll make you custom trousers for a reasonable price. U.K. only I think.

Also, I might try Sub Seventy they'll make you custom trousers for a reasonable price. U.K. only I think.

YOu can see our reviews of Subseventy on the home page and there is a lengthy thread on them in the forum as well.

Sub Seventy is in the US as well. In fact we just got some of their new stuff the other day which will be reviewed shortly. You can always get a size larger than the 42 and have them taken in if they have that available for you. I almost always buy my pants a size larger and then have them tailored perfectly to my waist. It's not expensive at all and it make my pants fit right....of course I am a girl so I have the whole hip, thigh, waist thing to deal with.

YOu can see our reviews of Subseventy on the home page and there is a lengthy thread on them in the forum as well.

Excellent, I'll check it out.

Thanks for the help, all.

Sub Seventy is in the US as well. In fact we just got some of their new stuff the other day which will be reviewed shortly. You can always get a size larger than the 42 and have them taken in if they have that available for you. I almost always buy my pants a size larger and then have them tailored perfectly to my waist. It's not expensive at all and it make my pants fit right....of course I am a girl so I have the whole hip, thigh, waist thing to deal with.

I checked out subseventy briefly and all i see for size is that they go up to 40". Not sure that qualifies for "larger size" :D After all we all can't be size 32 or 34 :D

I checked out subseventy briefly and all i see for size is that they go up to 40". Not sure that qualifies for "larger size" :D After all we all can't be size 32 or 34 :D

They do custom sizes to anything.

I never said that they did. Fen_boy said they offer custom fitting but he thought they were only in the UK. I was just saying that Sub Seventy is in the US also. Then I went on to say that if the other company he mentioned goes up to higher sizes but they didn't have his exact size that maybe it wouldn't be a bad idea to get a size larger and then just take them to a tailor to have them propertly fit. I do that all the time because my thigh to hip to waist ratio is not standard.

I never said that they did. Fen_boy said they offer custom fitting but he thought they were only in the UK. I was just saying that Sub Seventy is in the US also. Then I went on to say that if the other company he mentioned goes up to higher sizes but they didn't have his exact size that maybe it wouldn't be a bad idea to get a size larger and then just take them to a tailor to have them propertly fit. I do that all the time because my thigh to hip to waist ratio is not standard.

Sorry GG i misread. I thought he had stated in the beginning he was a size 42 so it really did not make sense why you would suggest a place that stopped at 40".. I must still be feeling the effects for the double draft last night.

Back