Chromax Golf Ball Testers Thread

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
THP has selected a group of testers to get started in their Chromax Golf Ball Testing. Here are the list of the first batch of forum testers.

Yoccos1981
KellyBo
Fildini
ClayCribbs
BarberaKB
Sean
Ddec0418
Ken419

Each golfer will receive a sample and it will be their job to test the ball out and let everybody know their honest feedback. This is the official thread and will be used by the golfers to post their reviews.

Thanks to all that sent in entries and as you know this is THP, so plenty more testing coming up very soon.

Anxiously awaiting these. Thank you THP :)

I think I missed this :crying:

I just spotted these at a local golf shop. Interested to hear how they work.

Cool thanks. Looking forward to hitting these.

Great, can't wait to give them a try!

• Admin
If you are on the list, make sure you check your email. You received an email from us that you must reply back to.

Awesome! Thank you!

Sweet! I look forward to doing my first product review for THP.

Thanks both to Chromax and THP for this opportunity.

Maybe next time i guess lol. Love to hear about the weird looks people receive on the course, and how the balls perform

Thanks for the opportunity. I look forward to reporting back to THP.

Maybe next time i guess lol. Love to hear about the weird looks people receive on the course, and how the balls perform

As Chestnutt Said they are in our local shop, so if I get there I'll buy a sleeve and use them on Mens night! :)

Man the mail has been treatin me well lately! Got these beauties when I got home today. Was going to hit the course but Zack's ankle and other foot is jacked so stayed home while Andrea took the kid to the doctors. The balls are bright! Light does reflect a lot off of them but I will be hitting the putting green tonight at least for some chipping and putting, hope to get an indication if it might be distracting. Course action to follow tomorrow.

The balls feel pretty light while in hand. The cover also feels different to me and I can't really describe it. A little on the rough side.

The Chromax remind me a lot of the noodle ice golf balls. Good thing for me :) I'm not stuck on traditional looks so this wont be an issue. If you struggle with anything other than a white ball, this may be a bit of an adjustment.

The colors are sharp (gold and grey) and should really stand out even against the bright AZ sky. Here are some pictures I took with my trusty Iphone (looking for my camera to get better pics!!):

0a28510d.jpg

1cc02268.jpg

08027040.jpg

8b38a86d.jpg

26fca008.jpg

i can't wait for mine to show up...I'm playing in an end of the year Softball outing this weekend, I plan on using them

Just got home from work about half hour ago to find the Chromax balls in the mail...thanks Chromax and THP!

My initial impressions....
IN THE PACKAGE. I have seen these before in my local golf shop, Golf Headquarters. They still don't look real to me- I don't remember what color they were, but I first seen them from the other end of the counter, I thought they were chocolate golf balls wrapped in tin foil. I had to get a closer look to realize that they were, in fact, actual golf balls. I do like the way they are presented...a nice touch by Chromax putting these in a clear plastic tube to show them off more clearly. A standard paper box sleeve wouldn't do these justice to show just how unique they are.

OPENING THE TUBE.Yup, they're golf balls alright...they look like golf balls, smell like golf balls, and feel like golf balls. They do feel hard, though, like Callaway Warbirds. Compared to the Srixon Trispeeds and Bridgestone e6's I normally play, they have absolutely no compression to them by hand. With those balls, I can squeeze them between my palms and feel them compress a little bit. No compression at all with the Chromax balls. With the clear cover over the metallic layer of the ball, it makes the dimples look convex, you have to run your fingers over the surface of the ball to confirm that the dimples are in fact concave. Yoccos had posted that the balls felt light in weight to him- to me they felt heavier than standard balls...it's gotta be a psychological thing.

PUTTING THE BALL. It's 2:00am...where the hell am I going to play at this hour? I can at least try them out with the putter on my living room carpet. Not too bad. They're definitely harder balls, hotter off the putter face than what I'm used to both with a solid metal face (PING Pal) and a putter with a urethane insert (Odyssey White Hot). Seemed to putt well with them, though. I'm a 'stare at the hole' putter, so any kind of glare from putting with these in the sun won't be an issue for me. The first ball I putted with went right into my practice cup from about 22 feet away (the distance from the end of the living room to the end of the hallway). It was one of the silver balls, and when it hit my practice cup, it rolled around the rim and the first thing I thought of was a pinball- I almost expected my cup to 'light up' and flash the way a pinball would when it hits a target. I usually have a song stuck in my head while I play...I have a feeling I'm going to have The Who's 'Pinball Wizard' playing in my head while I'm on the course with these (it's currently in my head right now).

PLAYABILITY. Like I said before....it's 2:00 am. I won't have a chance later today to use them, but I will play a quick 9-hole round with them Thursday morning and report back how they work for me.

Last edited:
Great initial report there Ken! Especially at 2:00am!

I had a chance to take these to the putting green/chipping area for some pretty good action last night. For the chipping portion I tried various lies and lengths with the balls. I used my 42* Niblick and 56* XFT wedge for chipping/pitching. I would finish the hole out with my putting but I also tried all different lengths when putting. Here are my initial thoughts:

Pitching/Chipping:
First thing I noticed, the ball rolls out a lot. It was hard at first to gauge distance but after you get used to it, the rollout is not really a bad thing. Seems in line with most other two piece balls. The hard part was gauging from the heavier rough. I had to use a lot more touch around the green because I felt like the ball could really get away. I let up on a lot of shots that I wouldn't normally.

Light rough I had no issues at all. I did feel myself let up on some shots at first but like any other ball once you get used to it, no big deal.

Putting:
The ball felt light off the putter for me. The sound and feel was pretty muted. It did not feel soft and did not feel hard. Best way to describe it is nuetral.

I can say though, this ball was very easy to line up for putts. I really saw the the lines much easier than normal. I didn't want to mention another ball but I find when I'm lining up putts, I love a ball that stands out. These colors really stood out on the green. The line was more visual and natural with the stand out colors.

Feel:
As described in the putting portion, it was very nuetral. The ball did have a clicky sound/feel when I was using it on and around the green. The cover felt tough but the ball did have an air-like feel. Almost a plastic like feel to the cover. Some of the short pitch shots didnt feel like much. It just wasn't very substantial.

Short Game Overall:
Although I was pretty nuetral on the feel of the ball I was very happy with how easy the ball was to align. That helped me a lot. I was sending a lot of putts close and that really helped with my confidence. This to me was a bigger advantage than the feel of the ball. I love taking strokes off my game!

I will be taking the balls for an on course test today. I'm pretty excited because of how well I was doing around the green. For where I am at with my game, I'm looking for ways to reduce my score and mistakes. Confidence around the green really helps. I would like to add though, the website does not have a lot of information on the balls themselves. Or I just couldn't find it. Either way, I would love to see a more in depth description of each type of Chromax ball.

I received my sample to test. I will have a review up this evening.

I received my sample to test as well.

I will have some pics and itial thoughts posted this evening.

Just home from playing golf and found my Chromax balls in the mailbox. They feel light to me. I don't particularly care for the looks and wonder if there will be a glare from them. I also wonder if they will be easier or harder to find....we'll see. I will report back in the next day or two.

My Review of the Chromax Golf Ball

Packaging
Each three pack is in a plastic screw top tube. You can see the tube in Post #14 by Yocco. There are two silver and one gold golf ball in each tube.

Appearance
Unlike other colored golf balls, which are one solid color, the Chromax golf balls almost appear to be encased in a thin layer of an acrylic type material. The colors themselves are metallic in appearance. The dimples are hard to see but are easily felt. Side by side the Chromax looks smaller than other golf balls, but that isn't the case. It's simply due to the the "see through" layer. There's also an alignment aid on each ball to help with putting. I like the look of these golf balls.

Putting
The Chromax feels a tad muted compared with other two-piece balls. It's more noticeable from shorter length putts than longer ones. The ball is "easy" to putt with in that it's so visible on the green. I thought that the metallic silver might cause glare to be an issue but that wasn't the case. The alignment aid further helps in lining up putts. The ball rolled true and I didn't detect any wobbling or off center movement. I found it to be a good ball to putt with.

Chipping
Rough: as with putting I detected a bit more muted feel than with other two-piece balls. The ball is very easy to see in the rough, which I found helpful when focusing on the shot.
Fairway: the muted feel is still there. Like any two-piece ball the Chromax ball will not check up and will roll out.

Pitching
Rough: there is less of a muted feel. Again, the ball is very easy to see, which I think helps in focusing.
Fairway: the ball is very visible in the fairway, which I believe helps in making solid contact. As with chipping the ball will not check up so shots need to be left short of the pin as the ball will release.

Irons
Rough: as already mentioned the ball is easy to see, and easy to find. The ball responded well coming out of the rough and was easy to see as it flew through the air.
Fairway: the ball responded well coming off the irons and the shots didn't feel hard or harsh as with some two-piece balls. Again, the ball will roll out when it hits the green.

Driving
The ball felt good coming off the driver. It's not as hard as some other two-piece golf balls and the distance was quite good. While it won't cure a slice or a hook the ball has less side spin than many of the more expensive golf balls so it will be more forgiving in that regard. It rolled out well too indicating that it didn't have a lot of back spin.

Durability
Besides putting, chipping and pitching I played nine holes with the Chromax. I found it to be quite durable and didn't notice any scratches or scuffs after the test.

Other
It's quite something to see once the ball is airborne: the sun reflecting off it as it flies through the air. It is unique and very pleasing to the eye.

Overall
The Chromax is a solid two-piece ball. It's most unique feature is the metallic color. I found the silver metallic ball easy to see in the rough, very visible through the air, and helpful in focusing on each shot. Unlike some two-piece golf balls it is a bit softer, but there are other two-piece golf balls that are just as soft or softer. Is it the longest two-piece golf ball? I don't know. But it isn't short. I tested the ball on a day with a mixture of clouds and sun. Glare was never an issue and the metallic color made the ball all more visible. If your looking for a two-piece ball with a bit of flare you should give the Chromax a try.

Last edited:
Nice review, Sean. Maybe the contrast is why I can hit the Chromax so well. I never thought of that.

I found a package in the mail today! And behold were my cromax golf balls.I really didn't know what to expect and when I opened them up! They were sparkly and as Sean said it appeared they were "encased in a thin layer of an acrylic type material." They are shiney and I was wondering if the shine would affect me on the golf course.....

Putting: I was really suprised about how much I liked these golf balls off the putter. For a two piece I was expecting a rock type feel. Not in these..... Very nice, but it had a nice click to them that I liked.

Chipping Again felt good, but don't expect a lot of spin. The glare I expected off the sun was there but not as bad as I thought and it really didn't affect me.

Pitching About the same: Not great spin but felt good. Was easy to get up in the air though and land softly.

I will get out to the course on Friday and have more reports up then for Driver, FW's, and irons.......

Back