Official Ryder Cup Thread [Spoilers]

great picks from Pavin... I'm really looking forward to the pairings...

Wonder if the uni's this year will have any orange? Not too sure that would go well with the red, white and blue theme.

Cink/Johnson looks a foursome pairing made in heaven to me. Accurate and both can putt. Usually this is the USA's weak point but there may be some good match ups in the team this time. Less flash and more solid.

Fowler is a great pick imo, I can see him having a good week - wonder if would be a smart move to pair him with Tiger in the fourballs? Could give TW the paternal role and bring him in as more of a team man than he's been painted in the past. Or maybe better to let him (Rickie) run riot with one of the rednecks (no offence) in a sort of Dukes of Hazzard tactical affair?

I wouldn't say there isn't anyone else out there. There are some guys who could have easily taken Fowler's spot.

Since the British Open how many top 25's has Fowler had?
Spoiler
1 T14 at the British Open, next best finish t33 at Bridgestone

I don't think he is a bad pick, but I don't think he was the best

I don't think you can just automatically judge by his finishes in normal tournaments. Match play is such a different animal from stroke play. I see Fowler as a bulldog in a mano y mano match.

And I hope that they don't supply special XXXL hats in the team colors just for him.... I know it's silly but I can't stand those hats. :laughing: At the same time, I wouldn't want them to do anything that takes him out of his comfort zone.... :confused2:

I don't think you can just automatically judge by his finishes in normal tournaments. Match play is such a different animal from stroke play. I see Fowler as a bulldog in a mano y mano match.

I'm judging him based on his current play. I think that is fair to do

I'm judging him based on his current play. I think that is fair to do

it is fair to do ddec...and i am glad that you are sticking by your assessment, but he will be unfazed, he's had way more press, way more pressure and way more expectations place on those young shoulders than plenty of other hopefuls. he'll end up being a wonderful pick when it's all said and done.

It is fair. But what about play in the format given (which is completely different than stroke play)

So if that is the case. Where is Paul Casey?

Fowler has not competed at this level of talent in Match Play.

And that same argument could be made against others on this team.

It is fair. But what about play in the format given (which is completely different than stroke play)

Thats is what makes the Ryder Cup very interesting. Most of the players(on the US side at least, not sure on the EU side), only get what 1 or 2 match play events a year? So you have to judge them to make a Match Play event by what they do in the Stroke Play events.

If you read back on the older posts, I didn't say he was a bad pick, I'm just saying I would have looked elsewhere.

My main argument is for JB Holmes...In that same span since the British Open he has had 4 top top 25's. Including a t14 at the British(just like Fowler). Plus he has Ryder Cup experience. IMO he would have been a better pick ON PAPER...hope Fowler pulls an Ian Poulter. Poulter was a controversial pick in 08 and turned out to be their best player

IMO Ryder Cup is the same experience as Walker Cup in this case, because that was the bigs for fowler at the time. He has grown into a PGA Tour player, and so has his game. So he has high-level match play and format experience. I know you didnt say he was a bad pick, JB just seems too uncontrolled for my liking.
Thats is what makes the Ryder Cup very interesting. Most of the players(on the US side at least, not sure on the EU side), only get what 1 or 2 match play events a year? So you have to judge them to make a Match Play event by what they do in the Stroke Play events.

If you read back on the older posts, I didn't say he was a bad pick, I'm just saying I would have looked elsewhere.

My main argument is for JB Holmes...In that same span since the British Open he has had 4 top top 25's. Including a t14 at the British(just like Fowler). Plus he has Ryder Cup experience. IMO he would have been a better pick ON PAPER...hope Fowler pulls an Ian Poulter. Poulter was a controversial pick in 08 and turned out to be their best player

Last edited:
So if that is the case. Where is Paul Casey?

Fowler has not competed at this level of talent in Match Play.

And that same argument could be made against others on this team.

Paul Casey had a case of the grudges lashed on him by mooby mcmooberson. And Seeing that Fowler competed in the 09 Walker Cup, and did very well, its not too long ago. Fowler has high level matchplay experience, and has handled the pga tour pressure very well. I think he'll do well

Last edited:
IMO Ryder Cup is the same experience as Walker Cup in this case, because that was the bigs for fowler at the time. He has grown into a PGA Tour player, and so has his game. So he has high-level match play and format experience.

I would still argue JB Holmes and his Ryder Cup experience and recent play trump Fowlers Walker Cup experience and recent play...please don't take this as I am anti Fowler...I love watching him play

I would like to point out that Phil Mickelson was 3-0-1 in his Walker Cup career. How has he been at the Ryder Cup?

Paul Casey had a case of the grudges lashed on him by mooby mcmooberson. And Seeing that Fowler competed in the 09 Walker Cup, and did very well, its not too long ago. Fowler has high level matchplay experience, and has handled the pga tour pressure very well. I think he'll do well

He should do fine. But I dont think that comparing the Walker Cup against the Ryder Cup is applicable. Most of these guys have very strong Match Play records from their days as amateurs. Heck some of them have strong Ryder Cup records and were overlooked.

The Walker Cup is NOT the Ryder Cup. In my opinion, JB Holmes, AK, Bo Van Pelt, and Lucas Glover all deserved a shot over RF. Just my opinion of course.

I would normally not even think walker cup is even close to ryder cup, but its all we have of the kid in a big matchplay format, of which he pretty much destroyed. So in this case I feel its a fair assessment of his game because its so recent.
He should do fine. But I dont think that comparing the Walker Cup against the Ryder Cup is applicable. Most of these guys have very strong Match Play records from their days as amateurs. Heck some of them have strong Ryder Cup records and were overlooked.

The Walker Cup is NOT the Ryder Cup. In my opinion, JB Holmes, AK, Bo Van Pelt, and Lucas Glover all deserved a shot over RF. Just my opinion of course.

And i completely agree with birdie van pelt, the guy never even got a look it seems

Im just stoked to see Fowler in something normal looking on the course.

I would normally not even think walker cup is even close to ryder cup, but its all we have of the kid in a big matchplay format, of which he pretty much destroyed. So in this case I feel its a fair assessment of his game because its so recent.

Maybe that says it all. Its all he has had. His game has been off recently (according to most). ANd we have other players with actual success in Ryder Cup Formats that were begging to be called and are also playing as well as him. We also had a major winner (Lucas) that has played just as well as RF recently and won a major just last year. And BVP is Mr. Consistent all year long. RF will get his share and I like the kid as a player, but I do not think it was the right pick.

Many excel at amateur match play and dont at Ryder Cup. Will he do well? I sure hope so, but there were safer picks that were also as deserving.

glover didn't even qualify to play this weekend. i wouldn't say that he's in top form at all.

Im just stoked to see Fowler in something normal looking on the course.

will you recognize him? I wonder if Puma will make a special Red/White/Blue shoe for him

Glover did win a US Open last year, and finished 7th a few weeks ago. However he has been bad during the FedEx Cup with a missed cut at the Barclays, and t65 this past week in Boston. Going off of what I have been using, from the British Open forward he has 2 top 25's but also 2 missed cuts.

anthony kim is coming off an injury and has sucked since his return. while JB Holmes Ryder Cup record is good....his game this year (or last year for that matter) doesn't hold up. and what's lucas glover's ryder cup record again? i'm pretty there isn't one.

glover didn't even qualify to play this weekend. i wouldn't say that he's in top form at all.

I did not say he was in top form. I said he has played as well as Fowler in the last few months. He has also actually won a tournament before.

Back