Bush to be stripped of 2005 Heisman, report says

Smallville

#ICanHitADraw
Reaction score
Handicap
In Flux
http://msn.foxsports.com/collegefootball/story/bush-to-be-stripped-of-heisman-trophy

Report: Bush to be stripped of Heisman

Updated Sep 7, 2010 12:25 PM ET

Former Southern Cal running back Reggie Bush will be stripped of his 2005 Heisman Trophy, according to an online report.

Two sources close to the Heisman Trophy Trust told Yahoo Sports their investigation is coming to a close and will concur this month with the NCAA’s ruling that Bush was ineligible in 2005. Sources said the honor for that season will remain vacant. Texas quarterback Vince Young finished second in the voting, but Bush had a huge advantage (784 to 79) in first-place votes.

Bush reportedly met with Heisman representatives last month, though details of that meeting are unknown. In July, the school administration announced USC would return its copy of Bush’s Heisman to the trust. The status of USC’s 2004 Bowl Championship Series title remains to be determined. BCS officials are awaiting the NCAA’s ruling on the Trojans’ appeal of the NCAA sanctions.

Doesn't change that he was still the best that year. It just turns out he wasn't eligible to play that year. I agree with them NOT to award the heisman to Vince Young (#2 second place).

this is why I think Ohio St's title is a sham too....Mo Clarett was ineligible the year they beat Miami but where is the stripping of that trophy?
Seriously? So if he was ineligible, you think he should get to keep it anyway?

this is why I think Ohio St's title is a sham too....Mo Clarett was ineligible the year they beat Miami but where is the stripping of that trophy?
Good point Thanks1974. It has to be because they felt that the nationals champ trohpy was earned by the team on the whole where as reggie's heisman is a singular effort done soley by himself.

someone calls the plays, someone hands him the ball. someone blocks him a lane.
Good point Thanks1974. It has to be because they felt that the nationals champ trohpy was earned by the team on the whole where as reggie's heisman is a singular effort done soley by himself.

agreed, but the team was playing with am ineligible teammate. lol

Exactly but for Bush to be great, he needs teammates. He didnt do it 'all on his own'. Its not as simple as that either

Barry Sanders was great, and who did he have as teammates? The Lions. 'Nuff said.

makes no sense at all. so regardless of whether he was ineligible or not, he didn't do it on his own and if his teammates were ineligible then it's ok and everyone else is a bunch of whiners?
Exactly but for Bush to be great, he needs teammates. He didnt do it 'all on his own'. Its not as simple as that either

Heisman trophy depends on how many wins your team has and what conference you come from, on top of overall stats. There have been a lot of cases were one guy has better stats in almost every category but its given to the guy whos team is in a better conference or has more wins.

makes no sense at all. so regardless of whether he was ineligible or not, he didn't do it on his own and if his teammates were ineligible then it's ok and everyone else is a bunch of whiners?

Agreed.

I just think that 5 years later it really doesnt matter anymore

I just think that 5 years later it really doesnt matter anymore

But it does. What about those athletes that are getting stripped of their Olympic medals many many years later for cheating? Do we just let that go too?

I think they had to do it...but I will still remember how amazing Reggie was that year.

+1 or crimes that don't have statute of limitations? 'it happened 5 years ago so who cares?'
But it does. What about those athletes that are getting stripped of their Olympic medals many many years later for cheating? Do we just let that go too?

Exactly. Of course it matters.

I dont see how the 1964 swimming champion being relieved of his gold medal for cheating has any affect on anything in this world. Its over and done with. Just my opinion but jump on it anyways

I think they had to do it...but I will still remember how amazing Reggie was that year.

You have to because the "next Barry Sanders" has been more like the next "Blair Thomas" at this level than he has Barry Sanders.....hehe

I dont see how the 1964 swimming champion being relieved of his gold medal for cheating has any affect on anything in this world. Its over and done with. Just my opinion but jump on it anyways

It certainly does to those that worked their butt off the right way. It certainly does to those that competed against them. And it certainly does in the world of ethics and morals. But to some honesty and integrity matter more than others.

And to some, dominance and power matter more.
But to some honesty and integrity matter more than others.

I dont care what happens because it doesnt affect me, or you or anyone really, and i doubt it will prevent this from happening again. You think Reggie cares about losing the heisman? Hell no. Because people will still remember his dominance, and he still sleeps with beautiful women, and still drives a million dollar car probably

Back