What's working for you? What's not?

My 7iron is my best friend. My driver on the other hand just hates me right now. Although it's really not the driver's fault I know it's mine and it's a swing flaw that I am working on. I have a love/hate relationship with my 4iron. It's the club I hit the most and sometimes I can strike it perfectly and other times it's just a hot mess.
My 8 iron is mine. Always gives me 145 yds on target. I hate my 4 iron almost as much as my ex-wife so it doesn't even get to sit in the bag with the others. Stays in my trunk.

lol at the 4i ex in the trunk. I'd make it take the bus.

My 8 iron is mine. Always gives me 145 yds on target. I hate my 4 iron almost as much as my ex-wife so it doesn't even get to sit in the bag with the others. Stays in my trunk.

Lol I feel bad laughing but that's so funny that you hate your club almos as your ex-wife. My 7 iron is just like your 8 iron, I know it will never be less than 100 yards with a nice easy swing. I also practice and warm up with this club more than any others so I am sure that has a lot to do with it. I am always confident when I set up to that club

My 4 iron on the other hand can go 125 yards or it can be a little B***h and only go 100 yards, that club drives me crazy!

Laugh away. I do.

Maybe drop the 4 and focus on the 5? works for me even though the 5 doesn't get much play, just easier to hit than the 4 most of the time

Lol I feel bad laughing but that's so funny that you hate your club almos as your ex-wife. My 7 iron is just like your 8 iron, I know it will never be less than 100 yards with a nice easy swing. I also practice and warm up with this club more than any others so I am sure that has a lot to do with it. I am always confident when I set up to that club

My 4 iron on the other hand can go 125 yards or it can be a little B***h and only go 100 yards, that club drives me crazy!

Laugh away. I do.

Maybe drop the 4 and focus on the 5? works for me even though the 5 doesn't get much play, just easier to hit than the 4 most of the time

I am the same way, the 5 gets very little play, I almost always pull my 4. I am not a long hitter so there are a few clubs in my bag that don't see a lot of play. My 7iron is generally my 100 yard club although I have hit is 110-115 before but generally my 6iron is my 110-115 club and then my 5iron is my 120 club but more often then not I need more distance than that so I just pull the 4 iron. I don't play any hybrids right now but I am thinking about trying to hit them again.

I am pretty lost after my 4iron because that goes about 125 and then I have my 3W which can go about 135-140 but I NEVER hit that off the deck, so if I have a long way to go it's 4iron all the way. I really need to work on course management so I know when to layup and just hit 6 iron instead of 4iron so I can play to a number. I kind of just figured with my game being so bad still I would just hit the ball as long as I can and then hope my short game shows up. Which is stupid because I am far more comfortable hitting from 100 yards than I am from say 40 yards.

My 56 scares me, I start to get a cold sweat just thinking about it.....

Definitely look at a 4h. You'll thank me later :)

This is something that took me a while to learn after seeing JB's posts about this concept a while back. But doing this has made my scores drop because hitting from more manageable lies is much better than going for a hole and having to scramble out of the schmutz. In fact I never say 'laying up' any more and just say 'playing to the number.' Sounds better and that pill doesn't taste so bad. lol

[/QUOTE]
I am the same way, the 5 gets very little play, I almost always pull my 4. I am not a long hitter so there are a few clubs in my bag that don't see a lot of play. My 7iron is generally my 100 yard club although I have hit is 110-115 before but generally my 6iron is my 110-115 club and then my 5iron is my 120 club but more often then not I need more distance than that so I just pull the 4 iron. I don't play any hybrids right now but I am thinking about trying to hit them again.

I am pretty lost after my 4iron because that goes about 125 and then I have my 3W which can go about 135-140 but I NEVER hit that off the deck, so if I have a long way to go it's 4iron all the way. I really need to work on course management so I know when to layup and just hit 6 iron instead of 4iron so I can play to a number. I kind of just figured with my game being so bad still I would just hit the ball as long as I can and then hope my short game shows up. Which is stupid because I am far more comfortable hitting from 100 yards than I am from say 40 yards. [/QUOTE]

I had an interesting day with the driver Sunday. It was like a little home wrecker. Through 13 holes I had hit 9 of 11 fairways. Unheard of for me. And then over the last 3 holes you can use driver I hit it twice and missed both. And ugly. She giveth and she taketh away. So I guess the driver was working while my short irons were missing all day. The amount of PW's and GW's that I thinned was disturbing. You know those holes where you hit a great drive and then walk up to the ball and chunk it , miss it or thin it across the green? I felt like I did that all day. Putter was working great though.

Definitely look at a 4h. You'll thank me later :)

This is something that took me a while to learn after seeing JB's posts about this concept a while back. But doing this has made my scores drop because hitting from more manageable lies is much better than going for a hole and having to scramble out of the schmutz. In fact I never say 'laying up' any more and just say 'playing to the number.' Sounds better and that pill doesn't taste so bad. lol

I am pretty lost after my 4iron because that goes about 125 and then I have my 3W which can go about 135-140 but I NEVER hit that off the deck, so if I have a long way to go it's 4iron all the way. I really need to work on course management so I know when to layup and just hit 6 iron instead of 4iron so I can play to a number. I kind of just figured with my game being so bad still I would just hit the ball as long as I can and then hope my short game shows up. Which is stupid because I am far more comfortable hitting from 100 yards than I am from say 40 yards. [/QUOTE][/QUOTE]

This is a method I need to remember to try and do more. I firmly believe that if I can get my course mangament under control I can easily shed 5-10 strokes from my game. That sounds like a lot but I can do some serious damage from 50 yards in that can easily go from 3 shots to 5 and that's just on 1 hole.

What's hot ? My driver (TM Supertri) is on fire! Can't miss a fairway and longer than long.

What's not ? My five iron. Already pulled the 4 iron out of the bag for a 4 hybrid that I hit very well. Still working on fixing the 5 iron.

no shame in pulling out the 5 iron. I pretty much did and don't notice a difference.

What's hot ? My driver (TM Supertri) is on fire! Can't miss a fairway and longer than long.

What's not ? My five iron. Already pulled the 4 iron out of the bag for a 4 hybrid that I hit very well. Still working on fixing the 5 iron.

My driver is now staying in the boot of the car until it can learn to behave itself.

My putter has been pretty nice to me lately, but my 3 wood is somewhere in the garage being currently replaced by the 15* hybrid.

Putter: love it
6 iron: can hardly miss

Driver: starting to let me down just a little bit

3-hybrid: probably about to go the way of the Dodo

What's working for me... Everything from 6I to PW. What doesn't work... 5I to Driver. All of them go the same distance, but with increasing inaccuracy as the loft decreases! And Drivers in general are just too long. As someone once described a badminton racquet to me... It's like wielding a maddened donkey by a rear leg!

Putter: love it
6 iron: can hardly miss

Driver: starting to let me down just a little bit

3-hybrid: probably about to go the way of the Dodo

What are you talking about... I'm right here? lol

We'll see today, I've not been able to get out for a while. However, last time out had my driver working well along with the 3 wood, but the hybrids went cold. My 56* and 60* wedges have been solid along with my putter, but 4 & 5 irons are just not cutting it. They may go to bed without supper tonight.

What's working for me: Irons. All of 'em. And my 7-wood.

What's not: My "A" wedge. I am fine with my cavity back pitching wedge, but I don't feel connected with the approach wedge. Blade-style wedges with a little more head weight feel better to me. My driver is not loving me at the moment, either but it's getting better.

My driver is on now and my 52 and 54 degree wedge are on which is great except I can't putt to save my life!!

I'm working a new driver into the bag and it has been less than co-operative to this point. It started to come around this afternoon, so I will see how it goes on Sunday. Hitting it well on the range, but just not carrying it over to the course.

Putting has been lights out all season.

My 3DX Hybrid literally makes me smile. I enjoy hitting it, and I havent even been able to go to a range or course yet. I just mindlessly lost 40 golfballs into my crazy neighbors pasture just to hit the thing.

My Driver is doing nicley too.

Putter- I am gonna break this little piece of [/deleted as to maitain the decency of this forum.]

My driver has long been my go to club, even when I was younger. Sadly I have out grown the shaft in my i15, constant ballooning and missing to the right. I confirmed this last weekend on a LM after a very frustrating round. So as of now, it is out of the bag and some testing and research is taking place.

Going from no golf for 10 years to at least 2 rounds a week caused some major changes in strength and swing speeds.

My irons are pretty constant and my wedge play is real smooth lately.

Back