Rules Question. Is the Goose in play?

Snap Hook

I before E,excpt Titleist
Reaction score
Handicap
3 SNGA
So yesterday some friends and I played Silverstone golf club and we came across an odd incident that we didn't know what the correct ruling was. The 18th hole is a long par 5 with water running the whole way along the left side. After driver,3w, me and a buddy both found ourselves about 30 yds still to go. We reach our balls and find the green is covered with about 20 Geese. Not sure wether or not to hit we looked around, a greenskeeper nearby just waved at us to go.
My buddy went first, his shot landed on the green, bounced once, then bounced off the back of a goose and finished I'ld say about 10 ft short and to the left of where it would have ended up had it not hit the goose. (the goose was fine BTW, acted like he didn't even care) My shot was perfect, landed just on the green, slight spin, then released toward the hole, finishing about 4 ft away. This pic was taken from behind the green as I was getting off the cart. I'm the one who's closest to the pin BTW. :D

IMG_0188.jpg
[/IMG]

Now my buddy starts grumbling that he should be allowed to move his ball up to where we think it should have ended up. We start bickering :bicker: WHEN, one of the geese WALK UP TO MY BALL, PICKS IT UP, WALKS OVER TO THE EDGE OF THE GREEN, AND DROPS IT INTO THE LAKE!

Sorry this got longwinded, but I have two questions. The first, and I'm pretty sure I know the answer already, is whether my buddy had the right to either move his ball, or re-hit it after the "interference" by the goose. (i'm pretty sure he was SOL)

The second question, what the h.ell do I do about my ball?
(PS the ball was NOT marked yet.)

You should have marked your ball. I'd say it plays as it lies, which means at the bottom of the lake. That was a funny story though, thanks for the laugh!

Thanx Smallville. Thats what I thought.

PS. Goose left a big steamy reminder on why not to mess with Geese right on my putting line.... so I replaced my ball 5 inches to the left. :angel:

I've had a similar situation many times... but I chase the geese away from the green before playing my pitch. If it's a full approach shot then I don't worry about it... what happens, happens. But on a short shot I'll drive them off and away from the green before I play.

I've had a similar situation many times... but I chase the geese away from the green before playing my pitch. If it's a full approach shot then I don't worry about it... what happens, happens. But on a short shot I'll drive them off and away from the green before I play.

Video would really help here, Fourputt! hehe

ROFL I have seen 4 or 5 geese get nailed this year. It's hard not to laugh...maybe I am sick. (None were seriously injured mind you)

That was a great story, sounds like the goose wanted that egg (ball). We ran into a bunch on the final hole at our Midwest outing in the spring, but they vacated the green as we came up.

I did seriously injure a robin once. Poor thing flew across the fairway as I hit a great drive, looked like a shotgun blast hitting a quail at 15 feet. Poof!

I'd say you bring this picture with you next time you play that course and if you run into that problem again, show the picture and say unless they want to be next, please exit the green!!

DecChickens022.jpg

I hate dealing with the geese on the course. I've heard of golf courses that have dogs that go out and chase the geese off or use other methods to scare them away, but on all the courses I've ever played on you just deal with the geese and their droppings. Droppings EVERYWHERE! Tee boxes and greens are the worst places.

I hate dealing with the geese on the course. I've heard of golf courses that have dogs that go out and chase the geese off or use other methods to scare them away, but on all the courses I've ever played on you just deal with the geese and their droppings. Droppings EVERYWHERE! Tee boxes and greens are the worst places.

yep, hate geese all over the green and their poop! it's just not a good scenario ever! i play a course around here that i love, and while it has no homes on it, it's littered with geese. i've never seen one hit and i usually do like fourputt, just get rid of them. there's always that one stud goose who thinks he can take you too. he puffs up, squawks at ya, what he's doing is trying to impress the ladies. and all i'm thinking is: i wonder how he'd react to a driver to the neck?

On my home course they have a resident dog (Belongs to the first assistant) and have also added 6 swans to the lake that one of the courses plays around (4 white and 2 black). It's been amazing how well they've kept away the flocks of geese (as well as ducks) for whatever reason and they are absolutly beautiful!

Back