Mizuno JPX-800 and 800 Pros

These look a lot more appealing than the MX series to me. Nice.

having watched a video on the mizuno website about these, one of the lead designers said they had combined the forgiveness and playability of the previous MX range.
cant wait to see them in the flesh, and have a hit to see how they stack up to the R9's.

These look a lot more appealing than the MX series to me. Nice.

really? why? i think that the 300's were much more attractive. i've always liked that mizuno kept their cavities simple and these are just busier than what they normally come out with imo.

really? why? i think that the 300's were much more attractive. i've always liked that mizuno kept their cavities simple and these are just busier than what they normally come out with imo.

The cavity kinda looked a bit out of date to my eye. I really like the Mizuno stamps on it, but the detail in the cavity just didn't do it for me. That said, I haven't spent a great deal of time with them, since I was too busy covering the MP68s with drool.
Guess the proof is in how they play.

The cavity kinda looked a bit out of date to my eye. I really like the Mizuno stamps on it, but the detail in the cavity just didn't do it for me. That said, I haven't spent a great deal of time with them, since I was too busy covering the MP68s with drool.
Guess the proof is in how they play.

haha, yeah, good point. i tell you what, i'll be taking some serious notes from many of the testers this weekend concerning all of the lines that mizuno has just spun out. i think you're in for a good bit of feedback in about 6-7 days from now.

i've heard (through a friend who's pretty much a die hard mizzie guy) that the 800 series is phenomenal. he currently plays the 300's and he said that there wasn't much of a comparison, that these are longer and offered him better feel. we shall see.

having watched a video on the mizuno website about these, one of the lead designers said they had combined the forgiveness and playability of the previous MX range.
cant wait to see them in the flesh, and have a hit to see how they stack up to the R9's.

I guess my question for them is then why do they still have two sets? If they combined the forgiveness and performance of two sets, what did they combine them into if there are still 2 sets?

In my opinion there is nothing really to combine. The 200s and the 300s were awesome irons. One had a little offset and more high and low weighting. The other had virtually no offset and had more heel toe weighting. I guess one could say that the new pro series is a combination of those two. Maybe. The regular set is similar to the MX-1000 I guess as well.

I am in the minority, but I much preferred the 200s to the 300s.

I guess my question for them is then why do they still have two sets? If they combined the forgiveness and performance of two sets, what did they combine them into if there are still 2 sets?

In my opinion there is nothing really to combine. The 200s and the 300s were awesome irons. One had a little offset and more high and low weighting. The other had virtually no offset and had more heel toe weighting. I guess one could say that the new pro series is a combination of those two. Maybe. The regular set is similar to the MX-1000 I guess as well.

I am in the minority, but I much preferred the 200s to the 300s.

200's were the better set in my eye too JB. Having tried both of the 800 sets I am confused as to what Mizuno says about these irons. The regular 800 is a direct replacement for the 200's in every way except that they are now cast instead of forged which IMO makes no sense. If they were forged they would sell like hotcakes. They are incredibly easy to hit and feel very nice but if you are looking at Mizuno you are usually looking at them because of their forgings. Now the 800 Pro's are the most confusing. Mizuno states that they melded the 200 and 300 and that makes the 800 Pro. That is a crock. The 800 Pro is a direct replacement for the 300. They are not even in the same ballpark forgiveness wise with the 200's. Hold them side to side with the 300's and they are very similar. I was going to get a set of the Pro's but have decided I'm going to go with a complete GI set.

200's were the better set in my eye too JB. Having tried both of the 800 sets I am confused as to what Mizuno says about these irons. The regular 800 is a direct replacement for the 200's in every way except that they are now cast instead of forged which IMO makes no sense. If they were forged they would sell like hotcakes. They are incredibly easy to hit and feel very nice but if you are looking at Mizuno you are usually looking at them because of their forgings. Now the 800 Pro's are the most confusing. Mizuno states that they melded the 200 and 300 and that makes the 800 Pro. That is a crock. The 800 Pro is a direct replacement for the 300. They are not even in the same ballpark forgiveness wise with the 200's. Hold them side to side with the 300's and they are very similar. I was going to get a set of the Pro's but have decided I'm going to go with a complete GI set.

I agree completely. If I look at these sets I think that the 800 is a combo of the 200 and the 1000. Where as the Pros are simply replacing the 300

but the 800's aren't forged? what a silly decision. they're opening up some doors that it appears other OEM's are gonna walk through and steal that market share (if the rumors are true that TM comes out with a forged offering)

Completely. Now my last post as I reread it kind of sounded like I dumped on the 800's and that is not the case at all. They are a great iron and IMO quite possibly are the better irons out of the 800 and the 800 Pro. I was very surprised at how nice they were to hit for a cast club. Now if you don't need forgiveness the Pro's are incredible. The feel is fantastic when married to a proper shaft. The stock shaft is junk though. If you can try these with the KBS they are completely different than with the DG XP. Heck with the stock shaft I preferred the feel of the 800's. But put the KBS in and the Pro's came alive. Great job by Mizzie on this line but kind of weird marketing speak that really sounds like BS

but the 800's aren't forged? what a silly decision. they're opening up some doors that it appears other OEM's are gonna walk through and steal that market share (if the rumors are true that TM comes out with a forged offering)

TC rumors are completely true. TM is definitely coming out with at least 2 sets of forgings. I for one can't wait to try them. And as I said in my last post the 800's are surprisingly sweet feeling clubs for a cast. Now I'm coming off as a forged snob lol which I am completely not as my just ordered set is the G15's.

TC rumors are completely true. TM is definitely coming out with at least 2 sets of forgings. I for one can't wait to try them. And as I said in my last post the 800's are surprisingly sweet feeling clubs for a cast. Now I'm coming off as a forged snob lol which I am completely not as my just ordered set is the G15's.

i don't think you're coming off as a forged snob at all. the reality is that there is a large golf contingency that will only play with forged irons and i think that mizuno may have made a mistake in getting away from that with the 800's. of course, only time will tell, and who am i to really know what i'm talking about. i'm more thinking out loud here. but WHEN TM comes out with their forged offerings, you better believe that the mizzie's sales #'s will more than likely take a dive. rumor is that another big OEM will be putting out another forged offering but i am not at liberty to discuss that here or now.

Completely. Now my last post as I reread it kind of sounded like I dumped on the 800's and that is not the case at all. They are a great iron and IMO quite possibly are the better irons out of the 800 and the 800 Pro. I was very surprised at how nice they were to hit for a cast club. Now if you don't need forgiveness the Pro's are incredible. The feel is fantastic when married to a proper shaft. The stock shaft is junk though. If you can try these with the KBS they are completely different than with the DG XP. Heck with the stock shaft I preferred the feel of the 800's. But put the KBS in and the Pro's came alive. Great job by Mizzie on this line but kind of weird marketing speak that really sounds like BS

I think the shaft is a personal thing though. What is junk for some works well for others. I think that this DEFINITELY shows that perhaps its less about the process and more about what is in the club and weighting that determine feel. WHile many forged clubs feel better it is not always the case.

i don't think you're coming off as a forged snob at all. the reality is that there is a large golf contingency that will only play with forged irons and i think that mizuno may have made a mistake in getting away from that with the 800's. of course, only time will tell, and who am i to really know what i'm talking about. i'm more thinking out loud here. but WHEN TM comes out with their forged offerings, you better believe that the mizzie's sales #'s will more than likely take a dive. rumor is that another big OEM will be putting out another forged offering but i am not at liberty to discuss that here or now.

The 1000s were cast as well, so if these are truly to replace that set, then it was to be expected.

haha, yeah, good point. i tell you what, i'll be taking some serious notes from many of the testers this weekend concerning all of the lines that mizuno has just spun out. i think you're in for a good bit of feedback in about 6-7 days from now.

i've heard (through a friend who's pretty much a die hard mizzie guy) that the 800 series is phenomenal. he currently plays the 300's and he said that there wasn't much of a comparison, that these are longer and offered him better feel. we shall see.

Looking forward to spending my whole work day reading some quality reviews. And yours. :wink:

YOu guys are really pumping me up on the 800's and now that TM is coming out with forged is really gonna make my decision difficult. The poster who waid if the 800's were forged they would sell like hot cakes is absolutely right. I would bought a set on the spot. I can imagine how good they would have felt if forged. Enjoy the outing and I look forward to the great reviews. Looks like 2011 is going to be stellar year for new high quality products.

I think the shaft is a personal thing though. What is junk for some works well for others.

Absolutely. The Dynalite Gold XP was the best shaft for me when I went through a Mizuno custom fitting. Didn't perform like junk in my hands!

Looking forward to spending my whole work day reading some quality reviews. And yours. :wink:

probably won't be reading mine paulo, for i'm a weirdo lefty and i don't believe that any of the mizzie offerings are available to me at the outing.

probably won't be reading mine paulo, for i'm a weirdo lefty and i don't believe that any of the mizzie offerings are available to me at the outing.

You should never assume things.

TC's ears just perked up!

YOu guys are really pumping me up on the 800's and now that TM is coming out with forged is really gonna make my decision difficult. The poster who waid if the 800's were forged they would sell like hot cakes is absolutely right. I would bought a set on the spot. I can imagine how good they would have felt if forged. Enjoy the outing and I look forward to the great reviews. Looks like 2011 is going to be stellar year for new high quality products.

Just buy them both! hehe

I've read it. Now I can't unread it. Argh!

Back