Wilson Staff Di9 vs Nike VR Full Cavity

Andrew858

Reaction score
Handicap
Hey all, I'm looking for a new set of irons and am trying to decide between these two. Anyone have any experience with either of these? Thanks.

I have been golfing since January and play pretty much once a week. Got the handicap down to about 16 now.

Just looking from the outside in, it seems like the Wilson's present a big more of a super game improvement feel, whereas the Nike full cavities seem to play more into the game improvement area.

here is the THP review of the Nike's.. http://thehackersparadise.com/home/?p=1381

I know there are a bunch of guys around here who've played them, and actually I think two sets are up for sale in the marketplace.. Hopefully they'll be able to help better than me, but as the saying seems to go around here, you're best to get out to a range and hit them for yourself..

Yeah, if you wanted to compare a Nike to the Di9, it would be teh MachSpeed in my opinion. Have you hit both sets? What were your thoughts?

I have hit the VR and they felt pretty good but the reviews on the Di9's are just ridiculous. I havent read a bad one yet. I'm really just looking to hit it high and straight..as I have no interest in working the ball.

I have hit the VR and they felt pretty good but the reviews on the Di9's are just ridiculous. I havent read a bad one yet. I'm really just looking to hit it high and straight..as I have no interest in working the ball.

There are quite a few sets that are out now that do that and do that well. The new Di11s would fall into that same category, hit them today.

But I would warn against ever buying a set that you have not tried regardless of reviews. See if you can try them out somewhere.

Have you hit the Di9s? If so, are the 11s that much better? Another deciding factor is price, as I can get a brand new set of the wilsons for under $200. But I guess I'll just have to search a little to find a set that I can hit.

Have you hit the Di9s? If so, are the 11s that much better? Another deciding factor is price, as I can get a brand new set of the wilsons for under $200. But I guess I'll just have to search a little to find a set that I can hit.

The 11s are not really better or worse, but they are different.

As for price, I agree a huge factor. As it should be. However with that being said, I would still NEVER get a set I had not hit yet. You should also make sure that you at least get a basic fitting done before you purchase new irons. Length, shaft, and lie could be VERY different depending on the set and could be the difference in hitting it flush and missing on the toe every single ball.

Yea I definitely want to hit them before I buy anything but I just cant find a set around here to hit.

Wilson's are hard to find, I wound up getting my Di7's off my retailers wall of used clubs for $175. Takes a while to get used to the look of fat shafts, no hosels, but I really like their forgivness and playability. Listen to everyone here, and be sure to play them and have them fitted for you.

I own a set of the Di9s, and I've hit the VR Full Cavitys at Golfsmith. From that experience, I think the Di9s are more forgiving. Beyond that limited comparison, I can only tell you that the Di9s are great irons. I picked up my set lightly used for under $200. IMHO, at that kind of price, you can hardly go wrong. But they really are outstanding irons that I think would work for many mid-high handicappers. I also have a set of Ping G5s, and while they're definitely "different" than the Di9s, I don't think they are "better" than the Di9s. Good luck.

I'm hoping Jenn likes the ladies Di9's at the outing this weekend. I found a set for a real good price that I can get her for her upcoming birthday.

if u wanna hit it hi and straight then u want th DI9's.Iv been playin since january also and iv had my DI7's the whole way and they r the highest and straightest clubs i have ever hit(and u can work the ball enuff).Every person that has hit my DI7's say tha same thing.Iv hit the DI9's and they r just as good as the DI7's,only jus a little more forgivness and lighter shafts.I have never hit a nike club but it would take sumthin really special 2 hit the ball higher and straighter than W/S's DI series,the DI11's r comin out very soon.But the only way u will kno 4 sure is 2 hit them both and make your own decision,but just dont go with the nike's without trying the DI9's,give W/S a chance u wont regret it.
DI9's 1st.

Thanks for all the replies guys. I found a guy here who is gonna talk to his W/S rep and get a set in for me to demo. JB, do you know when the Di11's are coming out? and do you think the rep would be able to get a set of those in too for me to try? Anyway, I'm definitely not gonna pull the trigger on the Nikes before I've had a chance to try the Di9's out.

Thanks for all the replies guys. I found a guy here who is gonna talk to his W/S rep and get a set in for me to demo. JB, do you know when the Di11's are coming out? and do you think the rep would be able to get a set of those in too for me to try? Anyway, I'm definitely not gonna pull the trigger on the Nikes before I've had a chance to try the Di9's out.

There isn't a set date but we have been told they will be hitting the warmer southern states later this year and the rest will be released in early 2011.

Andrew, did you have a chance to demo the Di9's vs the Nike's yet? If yes please give us your thoughts.

Thanks

I did have a chance to demo them. I liked the Victory Reds, they set up really nice and had a pretty good feel to them. I really didn't care for the Di9's and that surprised me. There was just something off about them and I don't know what it is. They seemed like they were really long and the fat shaft just seemed strange to me. Anyway, after demoing some more irons I went ahead and bought some Machspeeds. They felt really good and had great distance. I had a lot of confidence setting up over the ball with them. I got the 4-AW set.

Back