sacul1573

What's a GIR?
Reaction score
Handicap
Hey Andy,

I've looked over your video on THP TV on working the ball, and have tried your technique to line up to the target, and then open or close the stance for a fade/draw, but it doesnt seem to work too well for me. Any other tips or suggestions? I know you teach on feel, but I understand technical technique a bit better.

Working the ball high/low doesnt seem to be an issue, just primarily getting a controlled fade/draw. Typical ball flight is a 5-10 yard draw on a 7 iron.

Thanks for all your help, I've dropped a good 8-10 strokes off my handicap since posting my swing videos for you, and the scores seem to be dropping even faster now. I might video my swing again for you to critique, just need to find the time...

That is great to hear. Keep at it. Working the ball in the video is a simple way to move the ball. Next time you are at the range experiment with ball position. As you move the ball forward you should see a fade start to develop and as you move it back more of a draw. Play around with this and let me know what you come up with.

When I move the ball forward in my stance, I get a higher ball flight, and it's straight, but not a fade. Now that I'm thinking about it, I'm suspecting that I might be slightly closing the clubface as I move the ball forward... I'll keep working at it.

Let me know how it goes. I will talk with JB at the outing and see if more THP TV episodes are in the cards. I would like to get another episode about this up on the site.

sounds like you are making great progress - congrats. would suggest you focus on a consistent repeatable swing and your distance control, and play your natural straight, fade or draw ball flight. IMO using your practice time here rather than trying to work the ball for the occasional shot where it would be a nice to have, will get those scores lower more quickly.

In my case, for whatever reason, tightness in the muscles, whatever, my first few swings at a range will often be fades and I will work my way from fade to straight to my natural draw within about 10 swings. That has probably taught me as much about working the ball as anything else. In those cases the ball is clearly being influenced by coming from outside in and working my way over to inside out as I use the same set up each swing during those initial 10-20 swings at the range. I have not attempted to change my address position and change my swing plane at the same time and wonder what that would do.

Back