Taylormade Demo Day THP Outing Reviews

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
The THP Fall Golf Outing has concluded and one of the many features of the THP Golf Outings is a rather large demo day with more equipment than you could ever imagine for all of the people to try out. We provided notebooks, pens, and gear and ask that people give their thoughts on the equipment that they tried.

This thread will be devoted for the Taylormade Golf equipment that was out there.

SuperFast Driver
SuperFast TP Driver
SuperFast FW Woods
R9 Irons
R9 TP Irons
xFT Wedges
SuperTri Driver
R9 FW Woods
Burner 2.0 Irons
Ghost Putter

This is the list and we look forward to hearing everybody's thoughts that got to experience this incredible day of demoing equipment.

sweet... looking forward to reading what people thought of the TM products...

SuperFast FW woods- found them to be very hot off the face but I would suggest that if you have a fast swing speed you may wanta stiffer shaft. I thought the R flex was a little on the 'whippy' side

xFT wedges- the spin was nice and definitely some of the best new technology out there but I couldn't get a good feel for them and didn't think they felt as nice as some of the other options out there

Burner 2.0 irons- I played 2 rounds with these at the Outing which will serve as starting point for my formal review. initial thoughts are that the extra length on the shafts will take a while to get used to, the face is hot, the launch angle is high but still penetrating, feeling is a tad on the hard side, and the looks of the irons (set up and otherwise) are really sweet.

SuperFast Driver
SuperFast TP Driver- didnt hit it knowing its a tp
SuperFast FW Woods- I really like these woods, I just bought an r9 so wont be going anywhere. Overall, I personally preferred the R9 over the SF. I demo'd them side by side before purchasing.
R9 Irons- I enjoyed these, but when hitting the Burner 2.0 right behind it, I quickly put them back.
R9 TP Irons-didnt hit
xFT Wedges- I loved these wedges, its a tough choice between that and the Jaws.
SuperTri Driver-
R9 FW Woods- I absolutley love this fw wood. Awesome feel off the face and I love the ball flight from a crisp shot
Burner 2.0 Irons- Man, these things just fel awesome, When you hit it clean its almost as if ou missed the ball. The feel is that smooth. These are on my radar
Ghost Putter- I had only hit a Ghost on an indoor green and didnt care for it. I putt it for a long time at the demo day and I must say it was one of my favorites. I WILL get one when I get my funds back to normal. haha

Overall, I was VERY impressed with TM at the Demo day. They arent going to like this, but the x-24's are on my radar as well. Myself and Golf4life spent a good amount of time hitting the 2.0 and the x-24's back to back.

SuperFast FW Woods- top notch! These are so pretty at address and the ball just flies off of the face of this thing, I bet you $100 I'll have one of these to replace my 3 wood real soon.
R9 Irons- I like the looks a lot but as One-T says I was also hitting the Burner 2.0 so these didn't really stack up for me.
xFT Wedges- I love these! I hit them more for full shots and they feel great, not sure I can replace my CG15s though.
Burner 2.0 Irons- lovely! Super ball flight and the feel is so much better than I thought possible out of a cast iron set!
Ghost Putter- Cool looking putter but I felt there were others at the outing that felt better in my opinion.

TaylorMade in my opinion was the star of the demo, all you had to do was try to get a hold of one of the drivers to see how popular they were, everyone was chomping at the bit to hit them. TM is about to blow the socks off of the competition in the near future if you ask me.

I took the supertri driver out on the course both days with a project x 6.5 shaft. The thought was to use this shaft to keep the ball low and out of the wind. That didn't happen. I think I tried to over swing with it which led to a case of the pulls. I found that when I had it paired with the Miyazaki Kusala Black it was a great set up for me. Felt good with the C Kua shaft too, but that produced higher ball flight.

Superfast 3w - I was surprised how easy it was to hit it up in the air. Before people on this forum had mentioned they had issues hitting this from the fairway. I thought it had a good feel to it. If I were to get this club I may swap out the shaft. Off the tee, this club was long.

Xft wedges - I currently have the 60 in my bag, really considering replacing the tw9 with the xft 56.

Burner 2.0 irons - Like the look, hated the feel. Thought they had a harsh feeling to them. They did produce a nice flight though.

Superfast Driver - initially hated the look of this club. It just bothers me. However, when I lined it up for a tee shot, the look didn't bother me much. I hit some good drives at demo day with it. Rhino had it in his bag so I used it 3 or 4 times on Sunday. Hit some nice drives with it on the back nine, 1 leading to a birdie on the difficult 18th of the Palmer Course.

R9 460 - I know this isn't on the list. But I did get a chance to hit SethO's 460 with Miyazaki Black shaft and that thing felt great. I am considering going after that club. I didn't see too much difference between that and the supertri. Thought the supertri was a little louder. Seth - if you ever want to get rid of it, let me know!

Well, let's just I was sort of joking around about becoming the next bridges after the outing. I'm feeling the TM love in a big way right now.

SuperTri

First of all this thing is just gorgeous. It looks great at address, the sole is styled really cool, and the face is just mean looking. It also has (in my opinion) the best sound of any driver I've ever heard. When you hit it clean it just seems to pop. Also, the feeling of hitting a ball in the sweetspot is like nothing I've ever felt. It was like the ball just exploded off the head.

I tried a variety of shafts in the head and had three that I really liked. The winning combo made me want to shed tears of joy. I had the best two rounds off the tee that I've ever had. I had more distance and better accuracy than I could have ever asked for. It's amazing how much easier golf is when you can hit a nice tee shot.

Bottom line: The SuperTri is my next driver.

XFT Wedges

I demoed these for quite awhile before the round on Saturday. After some deliberating I decided that I would like to use the 52, 56, and 60 for my rounds on both days.I came away as a huge fan.

As far as looks go, I really like them at address. They seem to have a pretty large head that inspires confidence. The grooves look like they are ready to chew up the ball. The back is a little crazy looking, but I got over that very quickly.

I found the 52 to be the best (for me) chipping club I've put my hands on. I was able to use it everywhere around the green. I used it to hit the ball low and let it roll, chip up to elevated greens, and pitch from 50-75 yards out. The weighting just felt right in my hands. The 56 was great for buried lies and when I needed to get over a barrier between me and the green. The bounce for both lofts interacted very well with the turf and they generated a good amount of spin. I loved the shafts too. In all, these were just awesome to me. I will be picking up a set before next year.

Two things to note as well: The conforming grooves worked just as well as the non-conforming grooves for me. Also, I found the 52 and 56 to be versatile enough to enable me to drop the 60 from my bag. Now I can find a new club to replace it!

Burner 2.0

I only spent a little time with these, but I did get a chance to watch others try them out. They look really cool and the others were killing the ball with them. I noticed that everybody took a little time to adjust, but once they did, they were doing great.

I did tee off with the 9 iron on a par 3 on Friday. I toed the ball low on the face and somehow still hit it way up in the air. The ball was only about 10-15 yards off the distance of a good shot. I was pretty amazed that the ball even went in the air. It was a horrible shot.

SuperFast Driver
Overall, I was VERY impressed with TM at the Demo day. They arent going to like this, but the x-24's are on my radar as well. Myself and Golf4life spent a good amount of time hitting the 2.0 and the x-24's back to back.

One of the most fun parts of the day was that little play off between the X-24s and Burners with One-T. I'll be back shortly with a full review of the 2.0s in here, but want to echo my love for both of these sets, and they are on the shortlist for my R7 replacement plan in the near future.

Didnt have one there

THe SuperLaunch was not there as we mentioned before the outing.

i forgot all about that club, there was just too much to hit.

With the exception of the SuperTri head used for shaft testing, the only TM clubs I hit at the outing were the XFT wedges. I loved the feel of the wedges, but they would have had to be awful special to take the clevelands our of my bag. That being said, when I need new wedges later on, I will be comparing these the the CG's.

Miyazaki Silver and SuperTri 10.5

TM had a superfast driver there for the lefties and i was excited about the prospect of demo'ing it. i've hit it before inside on a monitor and my launch angle was way too high with the stock matrix shaft but i still was looking forward to testing it outside. surprisingly, it didn't launch too high at all and i quite liked the flight. imo, no way it outperforms the R9 but it's a solid driver for sure.

I lose the SuperFast right every time. Love the R9's, but the SuperFast is not for me.

Burner 2.0 Irons

OK, being a TM guy at heart, these were the clubs I was most looking forward to trying most. Along with the demo day session, I borrowed the 8,9 and PW for my 2 rounds of golf, so I got more swings on these than any other iron.

Overall looks: 8.5/10
I really like the black color, and the new Burner badge is better looking than the first. The iron does not appear as bulky as the original burner irons, but I did not physically measure the head size to know if that is true or not. Maybe its just the black color "slimming" effect :act-up:

Look at address: 8.5/10
Surprisingly appealing look at address for a GI iron. The 2 tone color (face groove area silver, remainder black) actually made the top line look much thinner than it was in reality. In fact I'm pretty sure the top line is at least as thick as the X-24s, but it looks much slimmer. The offset appears very minimal compared to the original Burner Irons. The look inspired confidence in me. The old burners looked chunky by comparison.

Feel: 8/10
These irons had a nice feel to me, not quite as nice as the X-24s, but certainly provided good feedback and a satisfying click with a solid strike. Mishits did not punish but were much more informative than in the original Burner irons.

Forgiveness: 8.5/10
This was a very forgiving club, especially off the toe. I heeled a couple during my round and they were significantly shorter than a well struck shot, but the toe shots probably only lost about 5% distance.

Distance: 10/10
A tie for the longest irons I've ever hit with the X-24s. I was hitting the ball high and straight, but even into the 20mph winds we had, it was boring through with minimal distance loss. I would kill to try these with a well fitted shaft. I think they could be beasts. I honestly didn't even notice the increased shaft length in these irons until someone reminded me they were there.

Overall impressions:
I could see myself gaming these in the very near future. They are a top 3 iron for me. The look at address inspires confidence, and the ball flight and distance is awesome. On one of the holes on the back 9 at Palmer, I had 150 yards left from the chunky rough over water to the green into the aformentioned 20mph wind. I pulled the Burner 2.0 9 iron out and hit it high and straight, landing 10 feet from the flag and sticking. With my current R7s I would probably have hit 8 or even 7 to get through that wind. Being able to bring in a 9 iron from there and have it stop on a dime is just such a wicked weapon.

I kind of regret not borrowing a couple X-24s to compare them side by side on the course, because on the range they performed so similarly to me.

Like all the other irons I tried, I still didn't get enough swings to see if I could really work the ball, but the default high straight, yet still penetrating flight was what I look for 9 out of 10 times anyways.

I was having high hopes for TaylorMade when I came to the outing and they didn't disappoint. Loved the SuperTri with either the Attas or the Miyazaki Black I just wished that the Fubuki was there to compare. Burner 2.0's are hawt! Definitely try these out if you haven't done so already. Yes they were also a club strong for me but the individual kick points for the lofts were what made these money. I'll be trying these out with different shaft combos to see what works but so far it's in the lead for my R7 replacements. A definite "yes that's going in my bag" moment was my hole out with the XFT's. I was knocking them close (not to mention another close hole out on the same round) with the 54 and the 58. It's looking more so that the bag will have more TM than anticipated.

This set up was the truth!
I was having high hopes for TaylorMade when I came to the outing and they didn't disappoint. Loved the SuperTri with either the Attas or the Miyazaki Black I just wished that the Fubuki was there to compare. Burner 2.0's are hawt! Definitely try these out if you haven't done so already. Yes they were also a club strong for me but the individual kick points for the lofts were what made these money. I'll be trying these out with different shaft combos to see what works but so far it's in the lead for my R7 replacements. A definite "yes that's going in my bag" moment was my hole out with the XFT's. I was knocking them close (not to mention another close hole out on the same round) with the 54 and the 58. It's looking more so that the bag will have more TM than anticipated.

Nothing wrong with that! haha

The TaylorMade Burner 2.0's were one of the two products that absolutely blew me away, both on the range and out on the course. I grabbed a 7 iron of the Burners, X-24s, R9s, and a couple of others as the first clubs I hit at the demo.

From a design standpoint, when I first picked up the Burner, I didn't get the black toe and heel with the chrome face and sole. Then it struck me (although I still haven't read the official reasoning) that this really did give the best of both worlds. The black areas helped reduce the glare, but with chrome face and sole, you are not going to wear the finish off (which is a major pet peeve of mine with the CG7 Black Pearls and the X-24s).

The forgiveness of the Burner 2.0s blew me away. On the range, I could feel the horridness of a couple of my swings...yet off the ball went with minimal difference than on the good swings. The ball flight was a good bit higher than with my X-22s which to me is a great thing. After swinging the 7-iron (and making my dad and Bulldog hit it as well...you can say I was gushing), I went back and grabbed a PW, 5I, and for giggles, a 3I. I was shocked that I could blast the 3I with just as much regularity as the shorter irons...which I cannot do with other sets at all.

Wanting to play my own irons on the Champion Course, I asked and was able to play a set (thanks Josh!!!) on the Palmer Course on Sunday. Now I hate playing new irons on the course because it always takes me a while to get used to them. First shot with the Burner 2.0s was a 5 iron from the rough, over a tree, across the water...I knocked it within 10 feet. Even in the crazy wind, that was not the last good shot I hit with those, it was the first of many.

With my limited equipment budget, I would not say this lightly...I will absolutely be buying these irons at the first available opportunity...they are that good.

Burner Superfast TP: I had really high hopes for this club and was very anxious to try it out. The club is superlight. I had to check the head to make sure it was still on after a few shots. When you hit it on the screws the ball flies forever. But man is it hard to control. The open club clubface wasn't the issue for me I believe. I really just couldn't get into a good groove with this club. IMO one of the best looking drivers as far as color scheme goes. You get used to the weight really quick.
While it didn't work for me, I can see why so many love this club based off the few good shots I could hit.

Burner Superfast (non TP): I have tried this club inside before and the numbers were great. When hitting outside I didn't feel great with how the ball was flying when I was hitting balls. It was long but not the best feeling driver out there for me. I absolutely loved the sound of the driver. I literally thought bullet when I hit the club. My shot dispersion was really wide. I'm sure with more practice and time with the club it would be good. Again this isn't the first time I've hit the SF. I was really happy I waited till the outing because I got to see this club in real conditions. Unfortunately it wasn't who I thought it was. Not a bad club, just not for me. I really didn't like the stock shaft after real range practice. There were some other shafts out there that were mind blowing and I think the Superfast could really benefit from a better shaft. Maybe if some fitters have some I could try that would be great!

Burner SF 5W: Holy crao!!!!!! This club was money. It was as long as my current 3 wood. The face was incredibly hot and if you haven't had a chance to try one of these outside you are missing out. Not only is this thing long but easy as all getup to hit. I hit off the deck the whole time and I was launching this thing. THe sound and feel are phenominal. I wasn't looking for a FW replacement but this one really made me think twice. I should have taken it out on the course for some alone time haha. The only thing I can say is the shot dispersion was again not great for me. Maybe its the lighter weight of the superfast series. I really would hate to put a heavier shaft in these clubs because I wonder if that defeats the purpose of the line. I still might because the feel off the face was ridiculous as well as how far that bad boy was.

Supertri: Dear Taylormade... THANK YOU. Wow what a club. I prefer the sound of the original R9 to this club but when you put the ATTAS in the Supertri it becomes the ultimate club. I was bombing some nice drives on the range. On the course with Spank we were hitting this sick club. I wasn't very accurate that day but it was definitely straighter than my other club. And LONG. Did I mention bomber? Plus the feel with the R9 ST/ATTAS was top notch and only second to a driver I can't wait for!!!! I did try with a Miyazaki Black shaft and it was awesome too. I liked the ball flight a little better with the ATTAS in the supertri. The ATTAS/R9 ST combo produced a penetrating flight that had that little rise in the flight. Amazing feeling to hit a shot like that. Not a knock on Miyazaki at all because to be honest I feel with a intl flex code made for me, I would have an extremely tough choice on my hands. I wanted to try other shafts but really there was not enough time in the day! Hope to get launch monitor numbers with the R9ST soon and go from there. I'm extremely happy I waited like JB had said and I'm extremely pleased with how this club perform under real conditions.

Burner 2.0's: The finish on these clubs is amazing. I really think Taylormade is one of the best at making clubs look good and perform. I got to hit these clubs a few times and I liked how they felt. Not as soft as the R9's to me, but they were much easier to hit. The sweetspot seemed huge! The flight was high but I believe that's what these clubs are for. I didn't hit them enough to say how much I liked or didn't like the shafts. But with a proper fitting that can be taken care of. Definitely some nice irons and much better feel than the previous generation.

R9's: I really like these clubs. Not much can be said here that hasn't been said before. Sweet looking sticks :)

Big thanks to Taylormade and THP for getting as much gear as they had. Part of the love for the Supertri is it's versatility. The ability to change shafts so easy and how universal this technology is. That's big for me. I don't want to buy into new technology if it wont be there next week. WHile Taylormade receives a lot of heat for how much they release clubs I probably wouldn't hesitate to put a ST in the bag along with a SF FW/FM. Can't wait to do some testing on my own in the next few weeks or so!

Back