Furyk, a Hall of Famer?

calebt17

Reaction score
Handicap
I was heading home from work today listening to the local sports talk. They had a golf radio show on talking about Furyk.

One of the guys said, Furyk is a lock for the Hall of Fame. He has won 16 PGA Tour events, one Major, a Fed Ex Cup, possibly POY honors. What do you guys think?

My view of him is tainted as he is my least favorite golfer but I don't think so. Two more majors and then your talking IMO.

I was heading home from work today listening to the local sports talk. They had a golf radio show on talking about Furyk.

One of the guys said, Furyk is a lock for the Hall of Fame. He has won 16 PGA Tour events, one Major, a Fed Ex Cup, possibly POY honors. What do you guys think?

I would say yes, he is a hall of fame player.

My view of him is tainted as he is my least favorite golfer but I don't think so. Two more majors and then your talking IMO.

That says a lot as I think he is a very difficult guy to not like.

I think he will be in the HOF but his resume right now needs a little more work. Another major win would lock him, as would reaching 20 PGA wins. He could still get in on what he has already accomplished but I wouldn't classify it as a lock by any stretch.

That says a lot as I think he is a very difficult guy to not like.

I think he will be in the HOF but his resume right now needs a little more work. Another major win would lock him, as would reaching 20 PGA wins. He could still get in on what he has already accomplished but I wouldn't classify it as a lock by any stretch.

Oh I can see he's a nice guy and all. It is nothing against his personality. It is his slow play on the greens that just grates my nerves.

I agree with RxGus. 20 wins and 1 more major would make him a lock in my view. To have been 157th in sand saves and to have basically won the last tourney on sand saves speaks volumes to the guys toughness and feel for the game. The guy is a golfer. He is not Superman and will never have the appeal of a Tiger or a Phil but the guy sure is a golfer. For anybody that thinks his greens play is slow, there must be some guys you just want to jump through the TV screen and strangle.

I would like to see him win 1 more major. However he does have 12 top 5's in Majors, 18 top 10's, 24 top 15's. He has been a solid consistent player for his career. Also remember he is playing in an era with guys like Ernie Els(18 Wins), Vijay Singh(34), Phil Mickelson(38), and Tiger Woods(71).

Tom Kite is in the Hall of Fame with 19 wins and 1 major.
Curtis Strange is in with 17 wins and 2 majors
Ben Crenshaw has 18 wins and 2 majors.
Furyk is in a league with guys like them. He will get to the hall of fame.

i cant see him being a lock for the Hall. but i also don't like him that much, i saw him sunday and he gave this kid his autograph but looked as if he would have rather just run the poor kid over just for asking him.

Wow that was a surprise Toast Furyk doesn't look like the type

Furyk should make it, but not a lock.

i cant see him being a lock for the Hall. but i also don't like him that much, i saw him sunday and he gave this kid his autograph but looked as if he would have rather just run the poor kid over just for asking him.

Really? We have watched him sign for the longest time at quite a few tournaments we have been to.

And I guess you could say at least he signed it. There are a few that refuse and one that is a complete clown about it. Wont even make eye contact.

Last edited:

I too have seem him sign for longer than most. He also seems more animated & engaged when he is signing autographs.

I too have seem him sign for longer than most. He also seems more animated & engaged when he is signing autographs.

Yeah, we even talked about that in his interview in our magazine. How on the course he is all business, but off of it, he is a practical joker and funny as heck.

In the era he's played in with one guy pretty much dominating the sport I don't think theres any question he belongs in the Hall. His stats are great.

he'll get in. seems as though anyone who has double digit wins and a major gets in anymore. i wouldn't mind seeing him win a few more tournies just to cement it though.

Like most others I think he's in, unorthodox swing and all. After visiting the WGV last week and seeing some of the people in there, Furyk is a gold-medal pick of the year lock. The guy has shown class throughout his career and like someone mentioned earlier, he's a golfers golfer. Add in the 6 or 7 Ryder Cup appearances and his resume speaks volumes.

I would never have thought this to be true until I saw it first hand this summer. He goofs around on the range and really gives the business to the Cleveland/Srixon guys if they want him to try new stuff or talk to some unscheduled people
Yeah, we even talked about that in his interview in our magazine. How on the course he is all business, but off of it, he is a practical joker and funny as heck.

He has already qualified to be on the first ballot. He has over 10 years and 10 wins on the PGA Tour as well as being 40 years old. Considering he has won a major and finished Top 10 in the other 3 he is a consistent player who is no flash in the pan. I think he will be voted in on the first ballot he gets on due to his consistent play over the past 18 years.

Nothing to add that hasn't already been mentioned. Great guy, very good player - all he does is win (or come close to it).

Havent read it yet, numerous ryder cups and presidents cups. And he did it all with his dad as his coach(so ive read).
Nothing to add that hasn't already been mentioned. Great guy, very good player - all he does is win (or come close to it).

I think he needs another major. A couple more wins would be nice also. I don't think he's a lock, but I think he will get there eventually.

I would like to see him win 1 more major. However he does have 12 top 5's in Majors, 18 top 10's, 24 top 15's. He has been a solid consistent player for his career. Also remember he is playing in an era with guys like Ernie Els(18 Wins), Vijay Singh(34), Phil Mickelson(38), and Tiger Woods(71).

Tom Kite is in the Hall of Fame with 19 wins and 1 major.
Curtis Strange is in with 17 wins and 2 majors
Ben Crenshaw has 18 wins and 2 majors.
Furyk is in a league with guys like them. He will get to the hall of fame.

Going off this I'd say he needs 3 more wins to match Kite, 1 more win and 1 more major to match Strange and 2 more wins and 1 more major to match Crenshaw.

Definitely needs another major to be considered. I can't say that because of Tiger, the HOF needs to be more lenient in what they consider a Hall of Famer. The guys who played with Nicklaus, Snead, Nelson, etc. got their wins in too.

I think 20 wins and 2 majors is a decent starting point to be considered for the HOF. Regardless of the era they are in or who they play against. Tiger wins a lot but he picks and chooses the tournaments he plays in. If these guys want wins, there are how many tournaments Tiger doesn't play in?

I think he'll get there, but I think he'd be a lock if he won another major and/or gets to 20 total wins.

Going off this I'd say he needs 3 more wins to match Kite, 1 more win and 1 more major to match Strange and 2 more wins and 1 more major to match Crenshaw.

Definitely needs another major to be considered. I can't say that because of Tiger, the HOF needs to be more lenient in what they consider a Hall of Famer. The guys who played with Nicklaus, Snead, Nelson, etc. got their wins in too.

I think 20 wins and 2 majors is a decent starting point to be considered for the HOF. Regardless of the era they are in or who they play against. Tiger wins a lot but he picks and chooses the tournaments he plays in. If these guys want wins, there are how many tournaments Tiger doesn't play in?

The minimum requirements to get on the ballot is 10 wins or 2 majors/players championship, 10 years on the PGA tour and be at least 40 years old. He will definitely be on the ballot and I would say since he has won 16 times with 1 major and 1 fed ex cup, he is gonna get in first time.

Back