Cleveland & Never Compromise Demo Day Reviews

the Mashie was by far and away the star of the THP Demo Day. I didn't talk to one person that didn't like it, including myself. So easy to hit, SCUD missile ball flight in the face of a 25mph wind, cool retro looks, and all sort of technology and extras at an already existing price point. This was literally the first club I hit at the demo day after JB said ''you have to try this" to me after all the set up was done. Wow. I normally don't buy anything as soon as it comes out but this will be in the bag. automatically. the only decision is which one do I go with, the 3h or the 4h?

OEM, was this the hybrid you have been mentioning that absolutely blew you away? Best in show?

Yes sir. Wait for it dude, its that good.

JB,

I am a "fairway guy" not a "hybrid guy", so I would be really interested in what you have to say regarding the 2011 fairway vs. the Mashie both with their respective Miyazaki shafts. Could the Mashie be such a universal winner, that golfers that don't usually do well with hybrids become converts ?
Which Mashies were available at the THP outing, and what were the international flex codes ?

so i assume since this thread was just made, this was the "Secret" stuff no one could talk about for awhile.

so i assume since this thread was just made, this was the "Secret" stuff no one could talk about for awhile.

some of it...still some others out there

JB,

I am a "fairway guy" not a "hybrid guy", so I would be really interested in what you have to say regarding the 2011 fairway vs. the Mashie both with their respective Miyazaki shafts. Could the Mashie be such a universal winner, that golfers that don't usually do well with hybrids become converts ?
Which Mashies were available at the THP outing, and what were the international flex codes ?

Im not sure I can answer that one for you. But I can tell you that the Mashie was definitely the total package for me. Looks, Distance, Feel, Performance, Sound, and ball flight. We had both 3 and 4 hybrids and each one in 2 different flex codes (common R & S) shafts.

I cannot wait to see pics!

For some reason, I guess I missed out on trying the Mashie. I did try a couple of the other releases in the Cleveland line.

Ultralite Driver 270 - C.Kua Shaft - So, I guess I tried the lightest combination that we had available for demo. Upon picking this up, I wasn't sure what to think or to expect. I hit 10 balls or so with it, and found it so interestingly different that I had problem putting it down. First of all, I love that they are including real Miyazaki shafts as their "stock" option. With the light combination, I was expecting a super-high ball flight, but really did not see that at all. The combination was surprisingly stable with a nice trajectory. I had trouble telling distance gains/losses due to the heavy winds, but it was definitely a nice feeling combination once I took a few swings with it.

CG16 Wedges - I guess these mainly reminded me of CG15s except with conforming grooves. As others have stated, the micro grooves are still there, unlike the CG14 I game now. Nice feeling wedge, not that I would expect anything else from this line.

CG16 Irons - These were the first club I hit at Demo Day. These were pretty nice as well, but I preferred the CG7 Black Pearls that I had hit at the Spring Outing.

I thought the new Gambler line of the Never Compromise looked terrific, though I didn't hit one.

I did seek out and roll a few putts with the Cleveland Bronze No. 5 Mallet. I thought it was a nice putter as well, particularly for the low price point.

Overall - I really want to thank Cleveland Golf for allowing us to try so much amazing pre-release equipment. To be honest, Cleveland's next generation of equipment was the only pre-release stuff I tried that I felt was a major step-change beyond this years versions. Having the Miyazaki brand (which I have become a major believer in) in house and included as "stock" shafts in their fairway woods, drivers, and hybrids is a stroke of genius, and will raise the expectation for all the other golf companies. I have always thought that Cleveland Golf was one of the companies that did a great job producing equipment to help us average players play better, and they continue to live up to and exceed that opinion. I can't wait to try out one of the Mashie's as I start looking at hybrid replacements next year.

Two quick questions: Anyone have more feedback on the irons? How would they compare for the high handicapper to the 2.0s? Also, is there any chance Cleveland will pull a Callaway and not make the Mashie or the irons for lefties? Historically I think they are pretty good to us lefties, but I am wondering if anyone, maybe TC, has heard anything.

I will have my feedback on all the stuff coming up soon including the irons. But to answer your other question, yes, the Mashie will be available to LH.

Sweet, thanks JB

I got to swing the Launcher Ultralite driver and I came away very impressed. The combination of the ultralight C. Kua shafts and lightweight clubhead keep a nice swing weight in the driver, but ultimately helps you create more speed through the hitting area. The couple options I got to try were a little soft in the tip section, and I was hitting the ball a little high and right, but it still felt really solid. Really great offering, with probably the best premium shaft available. Thanks to Miyazaki's international flex code, I'm confident I can dial in a number on even the 39 gram shaft that will make this driver a real weapon. This driver is on my short list for when my bonus check comes in. I just hope there's gonna be good local or online options available to figure out my flex code real soon.

I also got a little time with the CG16 60* wedge (they were very popular at the outing and hard to find). Great wedge, possibly a little more forgiving than the CG15s, but still very functional for all kinds of different shots. I didn't notice any real spin loss with the new grooves, at least from non-rough lies. This is a top 3 wedge for me. I would love to see how they perform out on the course versus my old CG10s.

I also took a few swings with the CG16 irons, in the Black finish. This is a great looking club. Overall, they were very forgiving, with pretty good feel. But these didn't quite do it for me like some of the other irons I tried at the outing.

Overall, Cleveland has some great new equipment coming. I think the mashie is going to dominate the market, and the drivers are going to be a big hit too. And the wedges just continue to lead the way. I sense a shift in brand dominance in my bag coming soon.....

Question for ya JB. With all the possibilities in flex code combos for the Miyazaki's, how are they going to handle that at retail? For instance, when I go to get fitted for the Cleveland driver, will they be able to help me dail in an international flex code that fits me? Or is there going to be some standard stock options and we have to choose from those?

I hope I didnt miss the answer somewhere but I've been thinking about that a lot. I'd hate to go into a store and have someone give me a "wth are you talking about look" when I start talking international flex code haha.

That is a great question Yoccos. From what we know right now, not all 18 customizations will be available in retail stores (I believe). However I am sure just about any one of their 18 different code combinations could be ordered. But they will have multiple options for people to make sure they can try out different models.

That would be awesome. I'm as anxious as I was waiting for Street Fighter 2 on the SNES. I'm so ready for these clubs to be out... ASAP haha.

I've already got Mashie funds stashed away.
That is a great question Yoccos. From what we know right now, not all 18 customizations will be available in retail stores (I believe). However I am sure just about any one of their 18 different code combinations could be ordered. But they will have multiple options for people to make sure they can try out different models.

I finally have time to share my thoughts!
Like everyone else at the outing I was blown away by cleveland's offerings.

Ultralite 270:
When I saw these clubs I really had no interest other than from a "what the heck" attitude. I was blown away- I hit this club in stiff for almost 10 mins and after 3 or 4 swings it was as natural and comfortable as any driver I have ever swung. I LOVE the sound off the driver face and the swings I was able to put on it felt sooo smooth. I hopped on over the launch monitor and was pleasantly surprised- my numbers overall were very good- and the driver did what it was suppose to do... increase my swing speed. I had swung a couple other drivers and I was in the 108 range but I jumped to the 112 range with this club. While it wasn't the best performing driver I hit it was the second best performer. I never tried any of the other weights and hardly "fit" myself to one- just hit it to see what would happen. When these hit the stores I will definitely be heading to a launch monitor to compare it to my current set up and to play around with all the available weights. For everyone who says "I can't hit a light club" you need to try this. Give yourself 20 swings with it and by the end you will not even remember it is light. Put the "it's too light" out of your head and give it a fair chance. Its amazing!

Mashie:
I AM buying one. I currently play a Nickent 3h and a Wilson 4h and I love them both. They will be in the back-up bag faster than you can google what "mashie" means. I was goofing around with an iron and chatting with SethO when G4L dropped over and handed me a hybrid and says "hit this". I set up, look down "Thats different" and then BOOM! No effort, no extra muscle, no swing thoughts... just BOOM. High and straight (for me anyways). It is very similar to the drivers listed above (light weight shafts) but there was no adjustment period. I took another 5 or 6 swings and I was sold. I had hit the 3h and I went looking for the 4h and never found it. With the real Miyazaki shafts and the same price point these are going to be the steal of next year. I honestly can't wait until JB can post pictures and I can get these in my greedy little paws. Effortless.

CG16 irons:
I never expected to hit these. Once I decided to hit them I never expected to like them. They are now at/on the top of my irons to look at next year when I set out to upgrade the bag from my TM's. To me they were VERY similar to the X24's or the Burner 2.0's. The wind made it very difficult to tell distances but in general they are on par with the 24s and a little shorter than the 2.0's (but what isn't). Where these iron's shined for me was in their forgiveness. They seemed to tolerate my inconsistent swing better than either of the other mentioned irons. I hit a couple shots off the toe (intentionally to test the forgiveness, of course :act-up:) and they behaved nearly identical to a well struck ball. When I hit a toe shot I tend to get a big sweeping fade that falls short and while I can't exactly say how much shorter it ended up it was several yards straighter than either the X24's or the Burners. Feel wise they are what you expect out of this class of irons. They feel pretty good when you hit them well, they feel above average when you don't hit them well. You can't compare these to anything forged but that is not what they are supposed to do. Overall I was very impressed. They look sharp, play well, and offer me a level of forgiveness that I haven't had in an iron in a long time.

great review Gus!

Were the never compromise putters the "super secret" folks were all mentioning on the outing putter thread?

Were the never compromise putters the "super secret" folks were all mentioning on the outing putter thread?

Yes they were.

Guys I just want to take a second a say thanks for the reviews on new equipment you all have provided those us that were unable to attend. I've got some decisions to make in the next month or so about retooling my bag (irons, a new wedge and maybe a putter, after trying out the JPX 800 recently I had just about sold myself on them, then I see where CG (I love the superblack hybrid) has some promising stuff on the horizon to try out as well.

Thanks again!

Back