Tiger Woods in final days of 5 year run at number 1

Puttin4Bird

Say what again mf'er!
Reaction score
Handicap
3.5 GHIN
ESPN.com story...I have quite a strong opinion on this topic, stay tuned to THP for the story early next week. In the mean time, here's the story- who do you think it will be? Westwood or Kaymer?

The link: http://sports.espn.go.com/golf/news/story?id=5732517

VALDERRAMA, Spain -- Martin Kaymer can end Tiger Woods' five-year run as the top-ranked golfer with a win at the Andalucia Masters at Valderrama.

The 25-year-old German also can become No. 1 if he finishes in second place, tied with no more than one other player. But no matter the result in southern Spain on Sunday, Woods' reign will end.

If Kaymer doesn't finish high enough, Lee Westwood of England will replace Woods even though both aren't playing this week. His ranking-points average over the past two years will go above Woods' on Monday.

Kaymer, who has won four tournaments this year, including his first major at the U.S. PGA Championship in August, insists that climbing to the top of the rankings is not a top priority.

"Of course, it is one of the goals I want to achieve in my career," he said. "But at the moment, I am concentrating on trying to win the Race to Dubai."

That goal, too, is well within his grasp. With five events remaining on the European Tour, Kaymer has a substantial lead over Northern Ireland's Graeme McDowell in the money list.

McDowell, the U.S. Open champion, also is competing at Valderrama. That gives the new tournament two major champions in the field, chasing the $690,000 first prize.

However, if Kaymer wins his fourth straight event in Spain to add to the U.S. PGA, Dutch Open and Dunhill Links titles, the Race to Dubai won't be settled until next month.

Three of the final four tournaments carry a winner's purse of more than $966,000.

Personally, my vote is for Kaymer. He is at least playing. I don't think it's fair for Westwood to become #1 when he is not even playing. Kaymer has been playing really well and definitely has a shot.

I find it very hard to believe that you can be #1 in the world having not won a major. Not that Lee isn't a great golfer, but he has had nowhere near the season that Kaymer has.

Yeah, at least Kaymer is playing and has been playing well as of late but still before the PGA this year who really knew much about Martin Kaymer? I don't want to go into too much detail on what my article is about but really, you have got to be kidding me that either of these guys will be the BEST GOLFER IN THE FREAKING WORLD after this weekend, I know I know that Tiger hasn't played well enough this summer and I'm not even saying that he deserves it but someone with a resume at least, PLEASE! This is such a joke, the world ranking system is so embarrassingly flawed they should be ashamed of it all and just call for a complete reshuffle starting NOW.

The biggest problem with golf is that even the "best player" doesn't always win. Golf is built to have a 'best player over this 4 day period' and not 'best over this 2 year period'.

Look at the Scoring Average:
#1 Matt Kuchar 69.57
#100 James Driscoll 70.91

1.3 strokes a round separates 100 people

Yeah, at least Kaymer is playing and has been playing well as of late but still before the PGA this year who really knew much about Martin Kaymer? I don't want to go into too much detail on what my article is about but really, you have got to be kidding me that either of these guys will be the BEST GOLFER IN THE FREAKING WORLD after this weekend, I know I know that Tiger hasn't played well enough this summer and I'm not even saying that he deserves it but someone with a resume at least, PLEASE! This is such a joke, the world ranking system is so embarrassingly flawed they should be ashamed of it all and just call for a complete reshuffle starting NOW.

I'd argue that Kaymer deserves it over the course of the whole year. Who is better than him right now? Surely that's what number 1 is all about? The best player in the world right now. If it wasn't, Nicklaus would still be up there! :wink:

I agree with your main point though. The rankings system is shot. I reckon even Westwood himself would say that he wouldn't want it without playing himself in there, going by his last couple of interviews on the subject.

I can barely type looking through the tears

Back