So I Went To Golfsmith Yesterday...

This might be a really stupid question, but why don´t high end manufacurers like Miyazaki et al pre-spine/pure/flow/frequency/whatever their shafts before they hit the store?

This might be a really stupid question, but why don´t high end manufacurers like Miyazaki et al pre-spine/pure/flow/frequency/whatever their shafts before they hit the store?

Because not all companies and people believe it does anything at all.

Because not all companies and people believe it does anything at all.

placebo effect

I took the sugar pill and it was good

And also on the R9 if ya change the clubhead setting it moves, and so does the graghics.

I HATE salespeople like that. Glad you kept your cool though! ;)

And also on the R9 if ya change the clubhead setting it moves, and so does the graghics.

This is part of the reason I really could care less if he did it or not. As long as I stay on neutral it will be splined, (if that makes a differance), but any adjustments at all and it's off the so called mark. Now, I do believe in finding the proper center of gravety for a putter (totally different subject), but even that can be subject to the way you putt.

I HATE salespeople like that. Glad you kept your cool though! ;)

Thanks. As little as I am there wouldn't be much damage, but they would have know I was there, haha

Good comparison, Snowman. I've been playing bass guitar for 20 years. As much as I love Guitar Center (and I do), their sales people seem to never understand bass guitars or amps. I'm not super picky, but I'm amazed at how they often recommend crap vs. good gear.

This is a great post. Thanks for sharing it. I'm a regular (call me a groupie) at the GG and GS stores in my area. With a few notable exceptions, I'm always AMAZED at the poor sales skills of the staff. They never seem to truly listen to what you're saying. It seems that these stores would greatly benefit from hiring (and paying) people with a bit more experience and then give them some QUALITY sales training. Not just 1 hour or 1 day. What about a week of intensive sales training ? Imagine if you met someone at a party at a friends house, and this person was a successful salesperson in technology, pharma, etc. You ask them where they learned to sell and why they are successful. Their answer: "I would never have been successful at sales if I hadn't been through the program at (Golf Big Box Store)". Wouldn't that blow your mind ? And where would YOU buy your next set of clubs ?

There is really nice local store called Golfdom in my area. I'm currently shopping for some new irons, so I walked in one day to try and demo some clubs. I happen to be a 47 year old sales engineer (i.e. I'm not a goofy doon). That particular day was a work day and I walked in with khaki trousers and my shirt from US Open at Merion 2013. I walked over to the area where the irons were located. They had several hitting/test areas by brand, including TM, Callaway, and Ping. I literally walked back and forth for 30 minutes between the three areas and looked at clubs, and looked around hoping someone would help me. I was definitely someone looking to buy clubs, and I know I look like the person who's got the money to pay for them. Not a SINGLE person EVER asked to help me. I'm not joking, it was 30 minutes. I walked up to some of the employees already working in the hitting/test areas and just tried to make eye contact. I hoped at least one of them would at least see me and say "Sir, I'll be with you in a few minutes". That would have sufficed. But no. Roll the clock forward a few months and now I'm planning to spend $900 on a set of TM Speedblades. Guess where I won't be spending my money : Golfdom.

Back